Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously considering a Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:07 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Seriously considering a Boxster

I was initially looking at the Boxster S, but I saw a nice guards red with a black top and interior for a tad under $50K. The interior of the 987 looks far superior to earlier models, and it looks like a great car for the price which I imagine will be around $45K after negotiations.

So I would like those who own a 987 to share their views about their cars. The power is less than I'm accustomed to, but it should be more than enough for the street since I won't be tracking the car. So what are you overall impressions? Thanks in advance for sharing your insights.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

I drive a 997 & my wife drives a Boxster. Hers is a Tip. On quite a few occasions I’ve driven hers to the airport and around town. She is very happy with it. I’ve been extremely impressed, both with the Boxster and the Tip. I find it enjoyable to drive.

The power is more than ample for non-track driving. The sound of the base Boxster is very good (maybe better than the 997 – I put Fabspeed mufflers on mine)

That said I don’t feel I have as much interaction as I do with the 6 speed in mine. If you decide on a Boxster I’d suggest the 6 speed.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:31 AM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I was initially looking at the Boxster S, but I saw a nice guards red with a black top and interior for a tad under $50K. The interior of the 987 looks far superior to earlier models, and it looks like a great car for the price which I imagine will be around $45K after negotiations.

So I would like those who own a 987 to share their views about their cars. The power is less than I'm accustomed to, but it should be more than enough for the street since I won't be tracking the car. So what are you overall impressions? Thanks in advance for sharing your insights.
hey , that's my car ! seriously , I have an '07 987 base- guards red/blk/blk 5 speed . stickered at $50365- bought for around $46k . I have owned other more powerful cars (03 cobra-390hp,05 crossfire srt6-330hp) and before that an '00 boxster ; can I just tell you that the car still puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it . I don't track my cars , and even though the 987 has less pwr than what i'm used to , it has yet to feel underpowered to me . and the sound is awesome ! the interior and overall quality is excellent . you will love it . and stop trying to copy me
Old 05-11-2007, 02:12 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

987 is a tremendous car.
I traded in my 987S for a 997S only because I felt so cramped in the boxster and couldn't get too comfortable. OH, and I had baby that I'd like to at some point bring in the car.
I miss the hadling and agility of the 987.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:31 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Boxsters are wonderful cars. I love my 987S, both on the street and at the track. It's just so nimble and the whole car just moves as a single unit. It goes wherever I point it and its very forgiving of my mistakes. It was my first Porsche and I expect to keep it for a long time.

You didn't indicate what you're used to driving so I don't know what expectations you have for straight-line performance. I've not found the 987S lacking, but that may change after I get used to driving my 997S. I guess a trip to Ruf can cure that if I really become disappointed.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:36 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it.

I use to track my cars on a regular basis, but with the demands of business and family, I no longer have the time. I've owned a variety of sports cars during the last 25 years: 3 911s, the last being a 993 and an E46 M3. Although I live and work in the country, I still rarely have the opportunity of driving my car fast . Even in the country there's too much traffic, unless I do my driving on Saturday and Sundaty mornings.

So I was thinking that rather than buying some 350 HP+ car and rarely having the opportunity of driving it to anywhere near its potential, why not buy a Boxster and enjoy the high MPG that it provides. With the price of gas over $3 a gallon and rising, it's nice driving a car that gets 30 MPG on the highway, and yet is fun to drive.

hey , that's my car ! seriously , I have an '07 987 base- guards red/blk/blk 5 speed . stickered at $50365- bought for around $46k

LOL Hey, we have similar tastes. I was going to offer the Dealer $45K, so based on your experience, it seems that my offer is in the ball park.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering a Boxster