Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

very important warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 05:04 PM
narbeh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very important warranty question

so I just bought my car about a month ago - '05 black boxster - black 5-spoke Victor Equipment wheels with polished lip - H&R rear sway bar and lowering springs. things were going great. until about 2 weeks ago, i downshift from 5th to 4th, catch some resistance and hear some grinding. of course i wince and im like damn, what the hell was that?!?! but i figured ok, i mustve just screwed up.. oh well, kept going. it happened a few more times. in 3rd and 4th, but almost always while downshifting. it happens whether i go straight from 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd, or if i drop to neutral, then go to 3rd or 4th, or if i rev match before puttin into gear. so im gettin nervous, because the guy who was sellin it seemed to be talkin out of his *** about the mods, and mentioned a chip, but when i asked what he didnt know, and said that this place did it for him (motomodz) yet on their website its not listed in as being part of the work done.

anyways, so im takin it in to the dealership on monday, and im very worried. i called a few dealerships, and all seemed to say its up to the service manager but the only thing out of the stuff i mentioned that could void it is the chip reflash. i dont know how else i could check it but have porsche do it. any ideas?!!? any clue what computer tool is needed to check it? how much do stock ECU's cost? please help or point me in the right direction since this forum seems so quiet

p.s. pics were attached but apparently i cant post them until i have a minimum number of posts
Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 AM
narbeh
Track Day

ok pics, attached. full list of mods gonna be put into the sig in a sec
Attached Images    
Old 04-19-2007, 10:30 PM
type987s
Instructor

"catch some resistance and hear some grinding" sorry to hear that. doesn't sound much like a chip problem.

nice looking p-car though
Old 04-20-2007, 12:07 AM
mbodo
Racer

sounds more like a synchro issue. Is this when the gearbox has yet to warm up? Even the owners manual says that some of the shifts will be "difficult" until the gearbox warms up, especially with the short shifter.

I've noticed during 3-4 upshifts on mild accelleration on the highway if I don't purposefully put the car into gear, it will grind. This usually only happens within the first 10-20 miles of startup.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:59 PM
narbeh
Track Day

it only happens to me on downshifts. usually at higher rpms. but it even happens if im in neutral then pick the appropriate gear. either way, its at the dealership now. they said it is a synchros issue but are going to run some "electronic data tests" to diagnose the problem fully. apparently the transmission has been swapped before - it only has 21K miles! i swear, drivers these days just dont know how to take care of a car

Quick Reply: very important warranty question