Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iceLINK installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:59 PM
mbodo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iceLINK installed!

Hooray, got the iceLINK installed finally. I've had it sitting in the garage for quite some time, haven't had the gumption or the time to find someplace to get it physically installed at.

Because I found such a difficult time on this board and the 997 Board trying to get a recommendation for a place to install it (some of the 997 guys are utterly useless posting ****** but that's another story) I'd be glad to share my installer:

Newport Auto Sound - 949-548-1160 .. ask for "Shaun 2"
They work with Newport Porsche/Audi/Bentley and are well versed in the installation of these aftermarket units. These guys are very down to earth, and have good prices. Even though this was the first iceLINK installation they had done, they'd done plenty of NAVTV installations prior, so I felt relatively at ease.

My experience with the unit thus far started out as 'good' and went to 'great' just a few hours ago.

The 'good' part was being able to have the ability to listen to more than 20 songs at a time, and controlling access to those songs from the head unit. Unfortuantely there was an issue with the PCM unit displaying "Load CD" or "Loading CD" and not getting the text information from the iPod itself.

After going to dension's support website, I found a new firmware version, downloaded it to a flash drive, updated the firmware on the iceLINK (easiest thing I'd done all day), and vi-ola, the PCM unit was displaying text. This is awesome, because now I can choose which song I want instead of just hitting "next .. next .. next.." and I can see title information.

It would be better if I had the ability to browse the iPod from the PCM the same way you can from the iPod itself, by artist, genre, album, etc...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Matt...glad it all went well and smooth so far. Glad to hear it bud.

We have the Densions in stock now, so if you were not in on the group buy before, get on the ORDER PAGE and we'll get it right to you!

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you run into any issues.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-30-2007, 12:42 PM
mbodo
Racer

Ok -
So I finally figured out how to use the iPod style menus from the PCM Unit. Now I am a complete happy camper. Thanks to some other posts on this forum and perhaps some on renntech.org, I've managed to get the iPod style menus to work.

I can augment with pictures later if anyone is that interested, but it is really pretty simple.

Get the head unit turned on, plug in the iPod to the iceLINK, and select CDC.
Press & Hold "6" to change to Disc 6 (Menu) - Your PCM will refresh as the menu items appear.
You'll see the familiar [Artist] [Genre] [Playlists] .... etc.
To navigate through them, hit the track up/down buttons (either side of 0 on the keypad).
To select the menu item, press and HOLD the track select button (track seek function?) - This will drill down through the menu items.
Keep repeating this process until you've found the artist/album/song(s) you want.
I noticed that when you drill through Artist/Album/Song and select a song in an album, it queues up the entire disc as a "CD", and if you've selected the 3rd of 14 songs, it will display on the head unit as such. You should be able to skip back to the 2nd song in the album, or forward to the 4th song.

Can't wait to see how the new iPhone will integrate into this badboy.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:01 AM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Excellent, thx for the feedback. If you do get a chance sometime, I'd be curious to see screenshots in action. Have been contemplating purchase of one of these MOST-based icelinks but want to really understand how the interface works (i.e. can I *really* do everything from the head unit).
Old 04-12-2007, 06:27 PM
wambo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so does this work with a non-PCM car? I have the (US) Bose radio/CD player but NOT a changer. Can I install this with such a low-budget (!) radio, in a 2006 987S? If so, any idea what information I'll be able to read on the display? Will I need to have the iPod in the car (meaning I have to navigate the firewall) or will the song title show up on the radio and in the dash? I would be relatively happy if I could even select a playlist and just shuffle from there. Thanks for any information you might have!
-Dan
Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 PM
weldon978
6th Gear

Wambo,
Contact Eric @ bumperplugs - there were some issues with this unit and the CDR24 (non PCM) radio. Dension has done an upgrade to their software and he has a couple test units installed and working well in non-PCM cars. The expectation is that the ipod will go out of sight (glove box I think) and all ipod functions will occur via the radio and the radio's display. I am on his group buy and anticipate delivery in the next week or two.

Quick Reply: iceLINK installed!