Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&M Short Shifter install problem... help!!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:59 PM
DonaldLL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&M Short Shifter install problem... help!!?

There is no problem with the shifter or the instructions. I was moving right along just fine.

The problem is that one of the 4- 10 mm nuts that holds the shift box in place was stripped during the factory installation. It is the front/driver's side nut. I have removed 3 of the 4 nuts but the 4th one will not "bite" enough to remove it! It just turns but doesn't come off! Any suggestions on what I should do here? How can I remove the 4th nut so I can continue the installation? Then what the heck do I do for securing the shift box back in place after I swap out the shifter? You think using three nuts to fasten the box in place will suffice?

Another 2 hour job turning into an all day project
Old 03-17-2007, 01:20 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never seen that happen. What a pain. The nuts go on studs attached to sheet metal.

Have someone pry up under the shift tower where the stud is while you turn the nut and see if it will grab on some threads.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:52 PM
DonaldLL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation complete....

Yep, that worked. The nut is stripped, of course, as well as the bolt. When I reinstalled the shift box, I used the 3 "good" bolts and then I tried to see if I could get the 4th one to bite a little bit. It did get a bit of a grip but the box is very solid with the 3 bolts alone. All's well that ends well, the shifter is installed. I like it, it's a nice upgrade but I sure am glad I didn't pay $700 or $800 dollars for the dealer to do it. The $199 B&M shifter from Eric is the way to go.

Thanks

Donald

Quick Reply: B&M Short Shifter install problem... help!!?