Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Option

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Sears
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Option

Is it possible to add the TPMS option to 05 987 S.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

No.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:21 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

I had thought about going thru Tire Rack because they have 2 systems, mounting transmitters within each rim, but with each you have to have receiver that would have to be either powered by the cig lighter, hard wired to a "keyed power circuit"....I was disappointed because I overlooked that option, assuming that the 06 Box S would have a spare, in retrospect, I woulda bought the TPMS and PASM, but I bought a car that was in stock on the lot. I found PASM in the sport mode was pretty harsh, and I would have not got the Navigation system. I think if I got the TPMS aftermarket system, I wouldn't use it all the time, too much clutter.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:39 PM
SD987S
Intermediate

I have TPMS on my 06 S and it has turned out to be the most value-add option on the car, particularly if you're running rubberband thin 19s. It's already saved my bacon three times in the last year as I seem to have a penchant for running over nails that incur slow leaks. This conversation came up on another board and someone suggested an aftermarket TPMS that is integrated with the stem caps. If you're interested, I could find the link.

I agree with you on PASM. I don't track the car and rarely use sport mode. However, I think it's the shift in settings performed automatically by the computer where PASM adds value rather than the manual switching from normal to sport.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:15 AM
tinman
Rennlist Member

so SD987S, if you were me, luckily for you, you are not. Would you look into adding in an aftermarket TPMS monitoring system????? They have 2 brands in stock, the price is reasonable. Right now, I have the stock 18" inch rims that came with my car on the car, and I have a set of 19" Carrerra S rims (havn't got the tires yet. I was thinking of putting one of the monitoring systems on th 19" rims to start, since they don't have the tires mounted. Is there any worry in hardwiring the system for power vs using the cig lighter, which we know we all use our iPods for (can't hear the music anyway, and can't hear the woman's voice on the nav system) Could you go to tirerack.com and look under "products>other>TPMS....and let me know what you think. This was may first Porsche and I got disappointed with the no-spare tire/TPMS situation, the future of the navigation system updates, and a few other things.Oh yeah, I got the 280 HP engine vs. the 295/variocam, which came out about a few months after. Geez, I waited 10 years to buy my dream car, and I didn't do it right. Loser.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:04 PM
SD987S
Intermediate

Tinman, the urge to upgrade our Porsche to the latest greatest and remorse for not waiting afflicts many but I've driven the 3.4 and we're not missing out on much. I could have waited when I went from the 05 base to the 06S as I knew the 07 change was coming but based on my Cayman drive I went ahead and pulled the trigger. If you'd got the 07 you'd be lamenting the 08 facelift around the corner, which I would imagine will include some engine improvements.

As far as TPMS goes, I'd highly recommend you get one for the 19s. When I said rubberband thin I was referring to those same Carrera S wheels you've purchased, as that's what I have on my car. I don't think I'd get either of those tire-rack systems because you'd be buying more than you need.

Yes, seeing the tire pressures at any point or condition is interesting, but not life-saving. The life-saving part is knowing when you have significant air loss. Catastrophic air loss is obvious with or without TPMS so there's no real value there.

I'd recommend before TPMS you get a tire repair kit, the plugging kind (like a needle/thread) that are available at any auto supply store for less than $10. If you look at your Porsche repair equipment there's tire goo and a surprisingly robust electric tire pump that hooks up to your lighter, but for tread-incisions larger than a certain point the goo won't work where a plug would.

Then I would get something like that shown in the link below, for 1/10th the price of the cheaper tire rack system.

http://www.aviationupgrade.com/

If you have your heart set on a techy TPMS I'd get the Hella system. It's cheaper, does the job with less fuss (the SmartTire system looks like more trouble/expense than needed), plus the backlight can be changed to 987 white.

As far as hardwiring goes, I wouldn't bother. In case you didn't know, there's a second 12v socket in the passenger footwell, so you can keep that iPod.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:40 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

SD987S, thanks for the therapy, and I'll look into those sensors from aviationupgrade. I'm happy with my car, I just was surprised when I found out the car did not have a spare tire, and I did not know TPMS was an option back then. Are you saying that having tpms is insignificant while driving at say a "high rate of speed" regardless, because if the tire shreds, then I'm history anyway. & that the product that you suggested would be useful, because, it would stop me from driving once I do a walk around. It is hard to tell if tire pressures are near correct visually on low profile tires. and with the fluctuations in pressure with air temperatures. I was just kidding about the iPod, I like to listen to the engine. The sound is better.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

The integrated TPMS is valuable to me,--particularly since I'm running 35 series in front and 30 series in the rear. You don't have a lot of slop there if you are losing air. It worked like a champ for me the one time I had a nail in the tire. I returned to the car, turned the key, and the first thing it told me was I had lost about 10 psi in my right rear tire. I nursed it home and then plugged it until I could get around to getting a replacement tire. The aftermarket ones are clearly not as well integrated, but it all depends upon your needs. I find that I monitor my tire pressure much more closely now with it and as a result, my tire wear is significantly optimized. TP is critical to tire life on these cars. Underinflating or overinflating result in handling issues and excessive wear. It's funny that a safety issue on an SUV led to the legal requirement for TPMS in all vehicles. No where is it as well integrated as the Porsche. Some are idiot lights,--not the right amount of air,--red light. Porsche's tells you the pressure, down to the pound. Interestingly, when running with the sun to the side in hotter weather, those tires have a resultantly higher TP in them.

Quick Reply: TPMS Option