Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't dealers stock more PASM cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why don't dealers stock more PASM cars?

Seems like none of the dealers in the DC area bother to order any cars with PASM. However, to me like that's a very desirable option, especially with 19" wheels. I don't mind at all doing a factory order to get a 987S configured exactly as I want it, but I am surprised that I can't seem to find a PASM car locally for a test drive. Are most Boxster buyers really not interested in PASM?

Old 01-03-2007, 09:24 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Judging by the replies (or lack there of) I guess there's your answer. Thinking of replacing the 951 or adding to the stable?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
Judging by the replies (or lack there of) I guess there's your answer. Thinking of replacing the 951 or adding to the stable?
Adding to the stable!

The 951 is primarily a track car -- still street legal, but mostly just driven on weekends. The Cayenne S is currently my daily driver and 951 tow vehicle for track. The Audi was my daily driver until I got the Cayenne and is now my wife's daily driver. The three cars total about 270K miles right now.

So, the plan is for the 987S to be my fair weather DD, I'll take the Audi back as foul weather DD, and my wife gets the Cayenne as DD. Everyone is happy!

(At least until the VA personal property tax bill comes due.)

Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 PM
ziege
Instructor

I was awaiting replies, but not much activity. I've been tossing and turning on getting the PASM and sport chrono on the 987 I am going to order... I think that I am now convinced that I will order with those two options. I love the ability to switch to "sport" mode on my 997, and it definitely will be a nice addition if I track the boxster.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:17 PM
ziege
Instructor

Also it seems that most dealer ordered cars are very highly optioned with non-performance add-ons (full leather, wood, special paint, etc.) which seems a little strange, but must be what the typical consumer wants. I would rather have a base model with the performance options instead...
Old 01-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ziege
I was awaiting replies, but not much activity. I've been tossing and turning on getting the PASM and sport chrono on the 987 I am going to order... I think that I am now convinced that I will order with those two options. I love the ability to switch to "sport" mode on my 997, and it definitely will be a nice addition if I track the boxster.
The Sport Chrono looks cool, but I kind of question its utility as a track timer. For about the same money you can get a Traqmate data acquisition system that gives lots more info than just lap times. You can get the "sport" suspension setting from PASM, and the revised throttle map you get in "sport" mode with Sport Chrono is no advantage on the track, where when you want power you've got it floored anyway. In fact, where you might want to modulate the throttle a bit in a turn the more aggressive throttle map you can get with Sport Chrono probably becomes a disadvantage.

It does look cool, however!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:53 PM
mborkin
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 987S with PASM at DE

I have 2005 987S with PASM and Sport Chrono. Have tracked the car over the last 2 seasons. IMHO, I love the feature at the track. The car is noticieably stiffer with the PASM on and cornering is improved. The remapping of the throtle is also noticeable--it is not simply the same as full throtle, revs and speed come up faster coming out of the corners. My lap times are consistently 2 seconds faster with the PASM and Sport mode on. The lap timer is more problematic and requires two flips of the stalk lever to record each lap time. I generally am too concentrated on my driving to do it, although there is plenty of time at WG to do it on the front straight. Overall I am very happy and would order it again. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

My dealer doesn't generally order SC or PASM - IMO it is to add the features most people expect on a high-end car (i.e. power seats, climtate control) and keep the sticker from getting scary. They usually order a "sport" package equivalent with sport seats and occasionally PASM - but they are usually speed yellow!

I don't have and don't want the SC for street or track - makes the throttle too sensitive. Mborkin - do you not find that?

Stock 987 S suspension is stiff and handles well (esp lowered as mine is) so I didn't see PASM as a must have
Old 01-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mborkin
I have 2005 987S with PASM and Sport Chrono. Have tracked the car over the last 2 seasons. IMHO, I love the feature at the track. The car is noticieably stiffer with the PASM on and cornering is improved. The remapping of the throtle is also noticeable--it is not simply the same as full throtle, revs and speed come up faster coming out of the corners. My lap times are consistently 2 seconds faster with the PASM and Sport mode on. The lap timer is more problematic and requires two flips of the stalk lever to record each lap time. I generally am too concentrated on my driving to do it, although there is plenty of time at WG to do it on the front straight. Overall I am very happy and would order it again. Hope this helps.
That's interesting about your revs and speed coming up faster with the SC sport setting on the track. It doesn't give any more max power or torque, so when you floor the pedal the results really should be the same. I'd guess it might have something to do with the PSM stability system, which IIRC has higher limits with SC sport than without. So it could be what is happening is as you come out of a corner without the SC sport setting, the PSM is actually preventing the E gas pedal from giving the full signal. Unless you turn off PSM altogether on the track, of course.

Can you run your setup with PASM in "sport" and the SC in "non-sport"? It would be interesting to see what your lap time differences are with PSM turned off, with PASM in "sport", and with the SC not in "sport"

Old 01-04-2007, 11:31 PM
ziege
Instructor

The added responsiveness of the sport mode on my carrera s seems to make heel-toe shifting much easier and faster as well...
Old 01-05-2007, 09:57 AM
mborkin
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PASM and "Sport" settings

You can run any combination of PASM, Sport setting, and PSM on the 987. Have tried PASM with sport off, but like the feel with it on. I never track the car with the PSM off. It has saved me too many times on wet or slippery areas of the track--my #1 priority at DE is to come home in one piece--frankly I am not good enough to drive with it off.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

A lot of 987 purchasers are not looking to spend all the money on that car.....thus not as large of a market for it as the 997 buyer. Same goes for the Cayman.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:55 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Given the choice I would choose the PASM over the NAV system.
I had a Cayenne that I bought right after they came out without the Nav system and at resale time it paid off.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mborkin
You can run any combination of PASM, Sport setting, and PSM on the 987. Have tried PASM with sport off, but like the feel with it on. I never track the car with the PSM off. It has saved me too many times on wet or slippery areas of the track--my #1 priority at DE is to come home in one piece--frankly I am not good enough to drive with it off.
Yes, that would seem to confirm it is probably the higher limits for PSM provided by the SC sport mode that really give you that 2 sec advantage per lap. Keeping PSM on for the track is certainly understandable, ESPECIALLY if it is raining or the track is damp or cold. You can also use it as a learing aid, in that when you feel it kicking in you know you have reached a certain limit, and you might want to back off in that turn or maneuver a bit the next time around. With improved consistency and building confidence in your ablities you can then consider turning it under DRY conditions and explore how that feels. You should get faster rev spool up and corner exit speed, probably as good or better than you get with the SC sport mode and PMS on. Even with PSM turned off, it you really get out of sorts and activate ABS the PSM will come back on and try to bail you out.

My track car is old enough to keep things simple -- no PSM and not even ABS!

Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
A lot of 987 purchasers are not looking to spend all the money on that car.....thus not as large of a market for it as the 997 buyer. Same goes for the Cayman.
Yes, that's what one of the dealers told me today -- if they order a 987 with PASM it seems to sit on the lot longer than others. 987 market does seem more price sensitive than 997 market, and it's apparently not a priority for most 987 buyers. That seems strange to me as I see the 987 as more "sporty" -- more of a "driver's car" -- than the Carrera and PASM therefore seems like an attractive feature to me. But I guess the majority of 987 buyers see it otherwise, and the dealers have figured out on a dollars and cents basis that it doesn't pay for them to keep PASM vehicles in stock.

Oh well, I don't really mind doing a factory order so I can get a car spec'd out exactly as I want it - colors, leather choices, wheels, and other options.

Quick Reply: Why don't dealers stock more PASM cars?