Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't dealers stock more PASM cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Given the choice I would choose the PASM over the NAV system.
I had a Cayenne that I bought right after they came out without the Nav system and at resale time it paid off.
I'm not going to order PCM/Nav on the 987S. I got it on my Cayenne S, and while I do love having it Porsche has shown that they aren't really supporting the systems with software upgrades after a year or so. I'm NOT going to spend over $3K to get a built in Nav system on the 987S that will be obsolete in 3 years. I'll spend a fraction of that for a Tom Tom or Garmin Nuvi, get S/W updates over the web, and I can throw away and replace many obsolete portable units over the years and upgrade the functionality in the process, for a lot less than what Porsche wants to charge for their built in white elephant.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:31 AM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Renn 951
My track car is old enough to keep things simple -- no PSM and not even ABS!

Ah!!! The way all cars (particularly track cars) should be!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 AM
jbarrow
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought an '06 almost-leftover base Boxster in July. The car was built in July 2005 and had 125 miles on it, so it had been on my dealers lot for quite a while. At that time it was the only PASM-equiped Boxster (S or otherwise) in stock, so I think that PASM is not an option many Boxster buyers are keen on.

-James
Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, that seems to be the answer. If the PASM cars don't sell fast enough, the dealers won't order any more. I'm just surprised that it's not viewed as a desirable option by most buyers.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:36 PM
SD987S
Intermediate

I have PASM but no SC and it doesn't surprise me that the option is not that popular. I don't track the car and running with 19s on the road I find the function to be neat, but not terribly practical. I can think of better ways (in my mind) to spend the 2K in Porsche options, such as TPMS (optional on my 06) that has proven far more beneficial. Other examples would be the wind deflector or bi-xenon headlamps, all three of which could be purchased for the cost of PASM.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

I drove a 997 for 2 days at Barber for the PDE, with PASM sport on and off. For me, the car handled better with PASM off, less pogo sticking in corners and for sure it was better on rough track areas.

To each their own, but it is not exactly a must have option.

Not that it necessarily means anything for mere mortals, but I chatted with Hurley and Cass Whitehead at length about PASM in sport mode (since no one had mentioned it in the classroom) - they are usually very coy about commenting on such things but they both agreed use it if you want but it won't really get you much if anything
Old 03-09-2007, 12:21 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has always been my feelings that if you stick with 18" wheels, PASM is not necessary, but if you want to get 19's, then you should get PASM.

This is true whether its a 987 or 997 IMHO.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:23 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

I agree with Mussberger, I would have taken PASM over Navigation, now knowing that the Navigation may not be updated. Originally when I drove an 06 with PASM I felt it was very harsh, and I knew that I would use it only like "never"...because I don't go on the track like you vets.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:33 PM
JimG
Instructor

I am about a week away from trading my 986 for a 997. The Scottsdale dealer orders nothing under $81k for a 997, no PASM or sports seats that I could find and no chrono's on the lot past few months. They are packed with fluffy stuff like full leather, heated seats (in AZ!), navigation etc. My salesman is giving me a hard time because I want a new car with just the PSE, Chrono, sport wheel/seats (I am flexible on the bose). He said the bare-bones cars sit on the lot longer than the $90k c2 coupes. He has not tried looking at other dealers for the exact car I want, in fact he said in his sales experience he has never had anyone walk on the lot and find the exact car they were looking for. Everyone settles.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimG
... in fact he said in his sales experience he has never had anyone walk on the lot and find the exact car they were looking for. Everyone settles.

Bah, refuse to "settle" for lame configurations just because they are on the lot. Do a factory order and get it exactly as you want it. So what if you have to wait a few months for delivery? If you think you will keep the car for years, it's worth waiting a few extra months to get the car you REALLY want to live with!

Quick Reply: Why don't dealers stock more PASM cars?