Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to DE my 987S

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:21 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts
Default I want to DE my 987S

Want should I change before I do this?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are a beginner, most regions will let you run the car stock (w/instructor).

Down the road, if you enjoy it you might want to consider the following;

- 6pt harness
- New brake fluid (I recommend ATE Super Blue)
- New brake pads (I like Pagid Orange)
- Lightweight wheels with R Compound tires
- Coilovers or more agressive shocks and springs
- GT3 Seats

Good luck!!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing that you can do is go to your next local PCA club meeting and seek out the Chief Instructor or Track Chairman. They are a wealth of information and can probably give you more advice in 5 minutes that you can handle.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:31 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

The only thing you need to change is your brake fluid, if it wasn't bled in the last 6 months. This is a normal item on the inspection tech sheet you will be required to have before you run. Other things will include checking your brake pads (> 50% linings) and your tires. You will probably need to pick up a Snell SA 2000 or higher helmet. Enjoy!
Old 01-02-2007, 03:36 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response. I have read about oil starvation issues. Should this be a concern?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

You have probably read posts from individuals who would like to think there is a problem.

However, I have been participating in DE's and watching Club races for 6 years now and I have never had any issues with my car or met another Boxster driver who experienced any starvation problem.

I don't believe you have anything to worry about.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The late model cars are fine. It was only a concern in the earlier cars (986s) and then only with R compound tires. You are a long way, driving-wise, from generating the types of cornering forces that could be considered problematic on the earlier cars. And Brey-Krause has a deep sump adapter to solve that problem.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
The late model cars are fine. It was only a concern in the earlier cars (986s) and then only with R compound tires.
I have been running my 986 on R compounds (Kuhmo's and MPSC's) for years with out any issues. Even the "carousel" at Road America (very long turn) has not been a problem.

Have you ever seen a 986 suffer from oil starvation?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ray S
Have you ever seen a 986 suffer from oil starvation?
I know for a fact that there have been problems with the 3.4L motors, I have seen it, so maybe I am think of that. One guy in our club blew up his 986 S, but I don't know if that was from oil starvation or not.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I know for a fact that there have been problems with the 3.4L motors, I have seen it, so maybe I am think of that. One guy in our club blew up his 986 S, but I don't know if that was from oil starvation or not.
I have never had any issue with my car on R Compounds or seen anyone else have such a problem in our club. I would not say it's impossible, but based on the chatter I have heard, I'd bet it's highly unlikely.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:54 PM
jrok
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best thing that you can do is go to your next local PCA club meeting and seek out the Chief Instructor or Track Chairman. They are a wealth of information and can probably give you more advice in 5 minutes that you can handle.
This is excellent advice from Mr. Herman above which I would highly reccommend.

In response to your original question as to what you need to change before doing a DE there are only a few things to check which 02Carrera outlined above and should be addressed during your pre-DE tech inspection. Failure to address these items will keep you off the track though.

As a reccomendation you should:
*** Change your brake fluid - you will use your brakes harder and longer than you ever have before. A better fluid with a higher boiling temp would be best and it's inexpensive and well worth it. If you do choose ATE Super Blue, which is great brake fluid by the way, it will stain all the internals of the braking system and can make susequent fluid changes more interesting but it won't hurt anything. ATE also makes Gold which is the same but without the blue dye in it.

*** Have plenty of brake linings left on your pads - 50% would be the absolute bare minimum to go to the track with. 50% pads on the street are fine but they will not dissipate the heat generated at the track and the last 50% will go away much quicker than the first 50%. Keep an eye on the wear during the event. This will not be such a huge deal if you're just starting out but as you progress you can burn through a half worn out set of pads in a weekend.

*** Have plenty of tread on your tires -- Make sure your tires are in good condition with plenty of tread and no age cracks. Be prepared for some wear on your tires especially if you are running the Michelin PS2's, they are quite soft and can deteriorate at the higher temperatures on the track.

*** Buy yourself a good helmet -- a Snell SA200 or SA2005 will be required for DE's. 'M' rated motorcyles helmets are not permitted.

An oil change before you go doesn't hurt either. Fresh oil is a little bit of cheap insurance since you will be driving your car very hard for several days.

Don't be discouraged by my comments because driving the 987S on the track is very fun and rewarding but you don't want to be surprised either. Try to contact your local PCA chapter and get an information packet from thier previous events to read through and familiarize yourself with the rules from your chapter.

Most importantly though, be safe and have fun. I did 27 track days in my 987S last summer and they were by far the best 27 out of 365.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:39 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

A plethora of information to digest. Thanks everyone! I was aware of the hard rules leading up to PCA DE Now I just have to get past the idea of "beating it up" on the track because more sooner than later the sunday morning 140's on the GSP are going to get me in real trouble.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
A plethora of information to digest. Thanks everyone! I was aware of the hard rules leading up to PCA DE Now I just have to get past the idea of "beating it up" on the track because more sooner than later the sunday morning 140's on the GSP are going to get me in real trouble.
The side benefit to running on the track is that it makes most of us automatically go slower on the street.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:52 AM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Roll bar extension for a 987? The Brey-Krausse (sp?) roll bar extensions are listed for the 986, but I haven't seen them for the 987s. Since I'm tall, 6'4", I'm pretty sure my head is right at the top or above the roll bar in my 987. ANyone know of solutions for a 987 with a tall driver to pass the broomstick test?
Old 01-06-2007, 05:24 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Larry you make a lot of sense. Sensible and an Eagles fan. Go figure.

Quick Reply: I want to DE my 987S