Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duplicate Sim Card

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Duplicate Sim Card

Hi Folks,

I am a UK owner of a Porsche 987S with Telephone Module built into the PCM.

The Telephone Module allows you to insert a SIM card from your mobile phone into the PCM. Great!

Unfortunatley you have to take your mobile phone apart every time you want to insert the sim card into the pcm.

Therefore someone mentioned the bright idea of asking your mobile company, in my case ORANGE to provide a duplicate sim card.

Today I phoned up ORANGE to ask for a duplicate and they told me that they only provide this service to users with a Business Account. I do not have a business account.

I did ask them how much it would cost to get a duplicate sim card if I was a business user, and they said, initial start up cost would be 30 pounds plus 3 pounds a month for having the duplicate.

What a rip off, I have decided not to bother.

If anyone know of a way of getting around this problem I would be interested.

Thanks Michael

Last edited by Michael Cain; 10-17-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:00 PM
mbodo
Racer

Perhaps something like this?

http://www.shoptronics.com/gsmsimcarrea.html
Old 10-19-2006, 03:39 AM
akif
Advanced

Originally Posted by Michael Cain
Hi Folks,

The Telephone Module allows you to insert a SIM card from your mobile phone into the PCM. Great!

Unfortunatley you have to take your mobile phone apart every time you want to insert the sim card into the pcm.

Therefore someone mentioned the bright idea of asking your mobile company, in my case ORANGE to provide a duplicate sim card.

Today I phoned up ORANGE to ask for a duplicate and they told me that they only provide this service to users with a Business Account. I do not have a business account.

I did ask them how much it would cost to get a duplicate sim card if I was a business user, and they said, initial start up cost would be 30 pounds plus 3 pounds a month for having the duplicate.

Thanks Michael
I hear you. That is the exact reason why I don't have the phone module. I would probably have gotten it if it was blue-tooth compatible, like every other luxury car.

If I was a sales person on the road constantly, I would just get another phone line (in the States, they are typically $10/month), and use call forwarding to ensure that I could use my handheld and car phone in a convenient manner.

Or just leave a message on the voicemail.... "I'm sorry I can't answer your phone because I'm at home, please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I go out again"
Old 10-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Grssypond
Advanced

Originally Posted by akif
I hear you. That is the exact reason why I don't have the phone module. I would probably have gotten it if it was blue-tooth compatible, like every other luxury car.

If I was a sales person on the road constantly, I would just get another phone line (in the States, they are typically $10/month), and use call forwarding to ensure that I could use my handheld and car phone in a convenient manner.

Or just leave a message on the voicemail.... "I'm sorry I can't answer your phone because I'm at home, please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I go out again"
Actually, if I had a 987 the message would say "Sorry I cannot speak with you now...I am attacking some twisties. I will return your call when my endorphins return to normal levels"
Old 10-20-2006, 01:25 AM
akif
Advanced

Originally Posted by Grssypond
Actually, if I had a 987 the message would say "Sorry I cannot speak with you now...I am attacking some twisties. I will return your call when my endorphins return to normal levels"
Good one - I'm sorry that I didn't think of it, especially since I have a 987S and do love to "attack twisties"

I hadn't heard it referred to in that way before, but will be using this term quite often from now on, I think.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:46 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Its all very Sad isnt it.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Someone a bit back in the forum mentioned that they had theirs duped in Thailand for very little. Thus, they leave one in the car and the original in their handheld pocket model. Once you turn that one off the car's grabs the inbound calls.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:36 AM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mbodo
Went through this, but it doesn't say that you can clone a SIM card. Its only copying the data inside it. Am I missing something on this device or is there an other available that can do the trick ?
Old 10-23-2006, 03:13 AM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess you mean from ebay, right ?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...have you considered changing operator?

I'm sure Vodafone or t-mobile would be happy to get the chance to offer a service more competitively than Orange

...or even O2
Old 11-16-2006, 06:21 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Someone a bit back in the forum mentioned that they had theirs duped in Thailand for very little. Thus, they leave one in the car and the original in their handheld pocket model. Once you turn that one off the car's grabs the inbound calls.
Sure would be nice to find someone here who can do that. I don't see why the mobile phone companies adamantly prohibit this. But if they allow it in special cases (business customers) then it's not a technological problem. It would then be like having more than one phone at your home on the same line. And what's wrong with that?
Old 11-18-2006, 06:12 AM
akif
Advanced

Originally Posted by OCBen
Sure would be nice to find someone here who can do that. I don't see why the mobile phone companies adamantly prohibit this. But if they allow it in special cases (business customers) then it's not a technological problem. It would then be like having more than one phone at your home on the same line. And what's wrong with that?
Probably money from the contracts - I can say that I need it for my car, but then give it to someone in my family or to a friend. Difference between home and mobiles is that you can hand the mobile to anyone at all. With home phones you're limited geographically.

I've also heard of satellite TV customers paying $5 for an extra receiver (for another room), and then handing it to their friends who live elsewhere - and both share the bill... depending on your programming, you can save $30-60 a month.

Most companies charge $10 for an extra line - I wouldn't even mind paying a small fee to get the extra sim. Of course that would be applicable when I bought the car, or if I get the phone module installed.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:37 AM
dflohr
AutoX

Just took delivery of 987S 07 with phone option. Had the same SIM card swap issue. Not sure cell phone companies outside of US do this but here was my "solution". Not great but not swapping the card any more.

Added new line to my family plan. US$10 / month. Bought the line with a phone that had the lowest net cost ($20) and highest price/highest volume of sales on eBay ($200+shipping). I immediately sold the phone. Pocketed over $170 which pays for almost 1 1/2 years of the added line.

The car has my primary phone number SIM and when off, automatically forwards to the new phone number in my existing cell phone. Free forwarding is included in my plan.

For what it's worth....

By the way, the built in phone is fantastic. Hands free is great and the additional transmitter power extends coverage.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Cain
Hi Folks,

Thanks Michael
Swisscom here in Switzerland offer a duplicate SIM card for 10CHF (£4) extra per month.
I think you need to shop around. I have the inbuilt PCM phone in my 996. For winter I removed the SIM card and installed it into my old phone which is now installed in our winter beater (Alfa 145).
I do a lot of driving around Europe and the inbuilt phone is terrific.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adrian
Swisscom here in Switzerland offer a duplicate SIM card for 10CHF (£4) extra per month.
I think you need to shop around. I have the inbuilt PCM phone in my 996. For winter I removed the SIM card and installed it into my old phone which is now installed in our winter beater (Alfa 145).
I do a lot of driving around Europe and the inbuilt phone is terrific.
Ciao,
Adrian.

Hi Adrain,

To be honest I don't want to pay a 4 pounds per month subscription for just having a duplicate sim card. The whole Orange thing is a rip off, and I am going to refuse to go down this route. I dont mind paying 10 pounds for a one off sim card duplicate but thats it. paying 4 pounds a month is 44 pounds every year, and for what!!!

I am not playing this game.

Michael

Quick Reply: Duplicate Sim Card