Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions-- 987 Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressions-- 987 Loaner

I Had my '06 CS in for 20K service, detailing and a (small) mod and I was given a choice between and Cayman and 987 (base model, tiptronic) for a loaner. I took the 987.

My impressions:

POSITIVES: The 987 is a pleasure to drive. Incredible handling/balance. Sweet engine note. Loved powering through corners. Comfortable interior. Convertable top very easy to use.

NEGATIVES: First, car felt a little underpowered. My CS, with "PSM off" actually "feels" faster. Perhaps this is due to the tiptronic, but I would like to have more torque in lower gears. If I got one, I would definately get the "S." Second, while the interior was roomy enough, I veru much dislike the layout and part quality, which to me felt very cheap (even with the full leather). This car had sand leather, and maybe black would have concealed some of these flaws, but to me, cockpit looks more like something you should see in a Nissan 350 than a P-Car. i.e. More Japanseseey, rather than European. Too many painted, and mismatched plastic parts. Stitching in all the wrong places. Weird, misangled vents etc. They need to work on this.

I would probably opt for a low mileage '04 986 'S' based on similar performance, much better interior styling (imho) and a substantial cost savings.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:15 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm assuming that you got a base Boxster.
The Cayman and the Boxster are both 987's and have pretty much the same interior.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:20 PM
wambo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When in Rome....

Wow! I guess I need to go to Rome for my service! All I get as a loaner is a (VERY) used Audi!

-W
Old 06-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

Rome - can u honestly think the 986 interior is better? Wow. I guess to each their own. Personally, I passed on a used 996 turbo because I couldn't live with that horrendous interior. To me the 987, even in sand, is quite an improvement in material quality and design.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:53 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Chris C - I agree completely.
In addition, the 987 interior isn't all that much different from the 997 interior. I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how you could like one but not the other. Many of the parts are the same aren't they?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:38 PM
mbodo
Racer

Maybe his "CS" was a Cayenne S? Perhaps thats what he's comparing it to.

Agreed w/ ELUSIVE & Chris C. -=- 997 interior is nearly identical, at least that was my impression when driving a 997S Cab.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:11 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

I veru much dislike the layout and part quality, which to me felt very cheap (even with the full leather). This car had sand leather, and maybe black would have concealed some of these flaws, but to me, cockpit looks more like something you should see in a Nissan 350 than a P-Car. i.e. More Japanseseey, rather than European. Too many painted, and mismatched plastic parts. Stitching in all the wrong places. Weird, misangled vents etc. They need to work on this.
I agree somewhat. I don't really care for the interior layout/design of the 987/997. It just doesn't seem too sporty IMO (except the seats), but its something I could live with..On the other hand, the quality is a step up over the 986/996.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

Other than slight differences in shapes (i.e. vents), the materials and design of the 2 interiors (987/997) are the same, as is the Cayman.d

Autobahn - to me the design is sporty - an update version of my 993 interior
Old 06-18-2006, 12:15 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mbodo
Maybe his "CS" was a Cayenne S? Perhaps thats what he's comparing it to.

Agreed w/ ELUSIVE & Chris C. -=- 997 interior is nearly identical, at least that was my impression when driving a 997S Cab.
Correct

CS= Cayenne S.

No crazy about the 997 interior either, though I do think the design of the vents and the dash on the passenger side is an improvement over the interior of the 987. But, I will say, the interior of both cars, to me, look a lot better in darker colors like black or charcol. The mismatched plastic parts really stand out in the lighter color interiors, like sand.

All just a matter of taste. No doubt it is a sweet ride.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:50 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wambo
Wow! I guess I need to go to Rome for my service! All I get as a loaner is a (VERY) used Audi!

-W
My dealer is pretty good about loaners but you have to get their fairly early before they all go out the door...and they charge you $20 bucks a day...well worth it imo....having the 987 for the day kinda sold me on the idea of getting a second p-car for summer fun to go along with the CS

Last edited by rome; 06-19-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:14 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I never cared for the 986 styling (in or out) - it seemed like they stopped at 85%. But when I saw the 987 in person for the first time I couldn't believe how attractive it seemed, and this was especially due to the INTERIOR, imo. I still haven't driven one though, I guess I'm still just stuck with the 997 in my head.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:09 AM
Tahoe M3
Advanced

I guess to each his/her own. My experience with a friend's Cayenne is just the opposite of yours...I found the interior to be cheaper than expected. The gauges are nice, but that seems to be about it. Materials and interior fitment weren't up to par...far below my X5.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:44 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

My wife brought my Boxster S in for service a few weeks ago and the loaner she was given was a 2006 Cayenne. She hated the car so badly that she made me meet for her lunch to get her car back. I hated the car too. It was absolutely awful and for $58K??? I found the materials to be much cheaper as well. Couldn't wait to get my car back.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:04 PM
mbodo
Racer

If you think $58k is bad for a Cayenne, you should see the price tag on these Merc ML's. The now "old" style (2005 and older) seem to be set up awkwardly and seem to have a lot of the same shortcomings (short of the drivetrain, which is sturdy ... so far). I'm not an SUV guy, and I'm guessing you folks aren't either, which is probably why we seem to inheirently dislike them.. who knows.

My idea of an SUV is a cheap XTerra with a wash n' wear interior :-D
Old 07-16-2006, 08:09 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
I guess to each his/her own. My experience with a friend's Cayenne is just the opposite of yours...I found the interior to be cheaper than expected. The gauges are nice, but that seems to be about it. Materials and interior fitment weren't up to par...far below my X5.
I agree! I havent been in a 987/997 but I had a Cayenne for an afternoon and the quality of the switches and what not is attrocious! I see a lot of the same offending ***** and buttons on the 987/997 interior and so I fear...

Quick Reply: Impressions-- 987 Loaner