Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about PCCB discs

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 07:17 PM
wambo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about PCCB discs

Hello. I own a new 2006 Boxster S with PCCB. The brakes work exceptionally well (I've only managed 1000 miles so far, though), but I have a question. Upon close inspection there are tiny cracks visible in the material. Some intersect the cross-drilled holes, making it possible to see that the crack is not merely a surface marking, but an actual hairline crack in the disc.

Does anyone know anything about such defects in the disc? Do they matter at all? What sort of quality control is applied to the manufacturing process given that ceramic materials can fail by fracturing, unlike metal discs. Have any QC problems surfaced thus far with the Generation 2 PCCB materials?

In an unrelated finding, there were chips in the edge and frictional surface of one of the front rotors. Porsche claims that they were probably caused by the factory as the wheel was mounted, and they have ordered a replacement rotor (it hasn't arrived yet). I would like to know that the chips weren't, in fact, the result of, say, inadequate silicon impregnation leaving only a carbon residue which led to the chipping. During the first week or two, all the discs threw off black dust-like material (probably from the vent holes) which stuck tenaciously to the inside of the rims.

I would like to hear from anyone with reliable, firsthand knowledge regarding the Generation 2 PCCB materials and system.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Dan Wambold
Old 02-21-2006, 08:27 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

please post pics!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I know you reposted this once already. However, I would suggest you also ask this question on the GT3 forum. That group has more experience with the PCCB than any other.

I'd also suggest you send a question to Porsche Panorama magazine. They tend to provide good answers to technical questions.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:44 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here we maybe go again.

No personal experience.

I remember this issue when the first generation came out, I think on the GT2.

See if you can get some pictures of the issue. It is not a common Boxster option.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:35 AM
wambo
Intermediate

Tool Pants-

I read what I could find on RennList regarding the Gen-1 PCCB discs. From what I understood, they appear to have failed under heavy load, such as at the track. The discs on my car appear to have, for lack of a better term, artifacts which were present at delivery. I'll try to photograph them today, but I'm not sure whether these hairline cracks will show up in a photo.

Admittedly, I guess I'm a bit skittish given the history of the Gen 1 stuff. However, these sure do have a nice feel on the road.

-W
Old 02-22-2006, 10:25 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wambo... I am glad for you that your dealer went to bat for you. Remember that the regional rep has to approve the replacement and is paid to just say no. The dealer is your advocate.
The chips on the edge most likely came from careless mounting of the wheels.
A far as the artifacts ask to see the Porsche shop manual. They have photos of normal, wearing and worn rotors. This is how they are to inspect. PCCBs do not wear the same as irons. PCCB will start to develop a pocked surface. Look at the pics.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:49 AM
wambo
Intermediate

Default Picture of above described discs

Here's a picture of the above described cracks. Notice that the crack continues above the cross-drilled hole, though I have not circled it there.

Thanks for your input. I will try to find the Porsche-certified pictures of normal disc wear, although with just 1000 miles on the car, I should hope these appear basically new. (I'm still following the 4200 RPM breaking rules.)

-W

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...d=101638&stc=1

Old 02-22-2006, 03:07 PM
mbodo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... out of morbid curiosity, what does it cost to change pads & rotors on the PCCB option. I hear it is a mint.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:53 PM
wambo
Intermediate

Anyone use a PCCB-equipped car for DE events?

-W

Quick Reply: Questions about PCCB discs