Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   987 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum-125/)
-   -   Anyone drive the 987 in the winter? (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/253650-anyone-drive-the-987-in-the-winter.html)

Palting 02-12-2006 05:30 PM

Anyone drive the 987 in the winter?

Anyone drive it in the winter and NOT use snow tires?

mbodo 02-12-2006 06:13 PM

Yes, I'm using summer tires and have been driving the car around all winter ..

of course, this won't help you one bit as I'm in San Diego, and it was 85F today...

(edit) oh yeah, and just about every time it's been out of the garage, the top has been down.. :thumbsup:

ELUSIVE 02-12-2006 06:14 PM

Haven't even attempted it....and really don't plan on it. :-D
I drive it as much as I can, but if there's snow on the roads or rocks/sand for the days after I leave her in the garage.

eyeslasher1 02-12-2006 06:24 PM

I live in chicago
I plan on driving all year round
Will prob get a set of snow tires
maybe a hardtop
drove yesterday in mild snow
no problems
but almost spun out when the wife tried to drive it in snow
thank god for psm

Chris C. 02-12-2006 06:48 PM

Mine's a garage queen unless the sun is shining! Have a AWD 'yota for the rough stuff, or at least atlantas version of winter ;)

scycle2020 02-12-2006 08:33 PM

i dont get :soapbox: the desire to drive a sports car in the snow....i was just thinking this after we got 12 inches yesterday and i was driving 15 mph on an ice and snow packed road...what thrill could come driving a boxster or 911 in these conditions...and who would want to expose their to road salt and silding , out of control cars and suvs??? i dont think the acceleration and handling of sports cars come into play on snow and icey roads!!!!

Palting 02-12-2006 11:13 PM

Just a thought. Sometimes the itch to get the car out just overwhelms me. 22 degrees out, light flurry but not sticking, roads clear. I thought "What the heck" and took the car out. Do you know the exhaust sounds more exhilarating with the heavier cold air? Had a blast!.

eyeslasher1 02-13-2006 12:33 AM

I wouldnt say there is a thrill to driving the car in the snow
but i just got the car and wanted to take my wife out to dinner
and on the way home it snowed.
As to the effects of salt on the car
i would say
im not thrilled with exposing it to salt
but its just a car
in 2 or 3 years i'l get a different one
hell ive been thru 4 porsches in 2 years
its only money
you only go around once

05Boxster 02-13-2006 06:12 PM

dude every time you post it looks like a poem :rockon:

autobahnNY 02-13-2006 07:07 PM

Just a thought. Sometimes the itch to get the car out just overwhelms me. 22 degrees out, light flurry but not sticking, roads clear. I thought "What the heck" and took the car out. Do you know the exhaust sounds more exhilarating with the heavier cold air? Had a blast!.
Palting, I know exactly how you feel. I drive in the winter with summer tires as long as there's no ice or snow on the road and don't push the car in the twisties when it goes below 50. And yes the intake/exhaust sounds more intoxicating with the cold air, I love it!

eyeslasher1 02-13-2006 07:19 PM

is that good
or bad......

05Boxster 02-14-2006 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by eyeslasher1
is that good
or bad......

Ha neither I guess...just an observation. interesting way of posting I guess...

mborkin 02-14-2006 10:31 PM

It's my daily driver! Took delivery last March on 987S, now just over 14,000 miles--this car is too much fun to leave in the garage. Drive every day except if snow on the road. (Westchester, NY) on PS2. This is my third Boxster as my only car since 1998. Have not had snow tires yet. :)

eyeslasher1 02-15-2006 11:01 AM

55 in chicago yesterday
afternoon off of work
Open country roads
top down in the boxster
radio off
seat heaters on
wide open throttle
...living the dream

Doug&Julie 02-27-2006 03:40 PM

Keep in mind that winter tires are used not only for their tread compound, but also because the rubber stays softer in colder temps than a "summer" tire. Get around the freezing mark, and the "summer" tires turn into hockey pucks. This is managable on dry roads, but if they get just a little bit damp/slick, they can quickly become treacherous.

The day after I bought my second Boxster, I drove it to work after an overnight freezing rain/snow in it's original tires. There was very little actually on the road surface, and the temps were rising by the minute (it was a mid-March day). Still, I turned down a road that went downhill...halfway down the hill and I realized I was going sideways and heading for the ditch. The only thing to do was to ride it out. I got lucky, but swore to never drive in that weather again w/o winter tires. I don't know how much PSM would have helped (I only had TC), but at some point Physics is Physics...