Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone drive the 987 in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Uncle Bob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's my daily driver as well. In the Pacific Northwest we expect snow!
First purchase was 18" Continentals and SSR wheels.
Cruising in 20 deg clear weather with seat heaters and bundled to the max and top down....
Chillin indeed!

Haven't had one problem on heavy snow, either but I do give other weekend warrior 4x4's a wide berth!

Old 02-28-2006, 08:26 AM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

South Bend Indiana = Garage Queen!
This also seems to help the resale value to trade out every year or so. 99 Boxster, 03 Boxster, 91 C2, all in the last 3 years. I've never made money, but it has kept me close enough to break even on the deal. I have a ML500 (dealer demo) for during winter.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BradS(IN)
South Bend Indiana = Garage Queen!
Nonesense!!!

...if you see a silver Cayman S around, that's my brother. He drove his '03 in winter (when he needed to), but right now he doesn't have winter tires on his Cayman S, so it's parked for a sunny day. Not sure what he'll do next winter.

South Bend winters are actually better than down here...you guys get snow that eventually gets plowed, we get icy, slippery crap roads that are dumped on with salt. I'd rather have the snow...

Old 03-13-2006, 11:44 PM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

Palting,
I drive my 987S in the snow...however, I use snow tires (Dunlop Winter Sport M3). Bought a spare set of stock 18" wheels (take-offs) to mount them, with the expectation that the wheels will become track wheels in the summer and winter wheels in the winter.

As Doug wrote, the summer tires really don't work well when it drops below about 45 degrees... the tires really need to be warm to grip the pavement.

The snow tires are pretty good in the winter...keeping in mind that they are snow tires and will never perform nearly as well as the PS2's on dry pavement. Work pretty well in the snow as well. It is a blast to find an open parking lot in fresh snow and practice car control (definately keep the PSM OFF).

I drove my 911 for 9 years...year round. Perhaps due to the seat time with that car (including quite a few track events), I felt more comfortable driving in the snow with the 911. Still not as comfortable with the 987S at its limits yet...a few track days should cure that.

The car is too much fun to keep it in the garage. Even on cold days (as low as 34 degrees), I've driven to/from work with the top down, windows up and heat on...really wakes you up in the morning...and you can't beat the sound of the engine/exhaust with the top down. The hardest part is waiting for summer again!
Old 03-31-2006, 04:09 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do drive mine year round, although I do switch to snow tires when the snow starts sticking to the ground. For summer tire use in the winter I would recommend Nokian's performance tires (not their winter tires) as their rubber compound is designed to stay soft down to at least the freezing point.

The AWD and PDAS are a definite benefit even without the snow tires but the snows make the thing into a snowmobile. I look forward to 3 inches of snow on the road.

Wait, is this the Boxster forum? Oops, sorry. I'll go back to the C4 forum.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frankvan
Wait, is this the Boxster forum? Oops, sorry. I'll go back to the C4 forum.
Don't worry...I dont' have one anymore either!
Old 04-22-2006, 09:47 PM
rlenk
1st Gear

2006 boxter,2000 miles,clatter noise on cold start at about 125 degrees F.Sound lasts 2-3sec. and has no impact on how the engine runs,any thoughts
Old 04-23-2006, 03:23 AM
mbodo
Racer

Same clattering noise, I think its just unoiled lifters. Sometimes it is far worse than othertimes. Goes away after 2-3 seconds just as you mentioned.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:13 AM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I've had my 987S since Nov/05 and drove it all winter with winter tires on ; no problems at all. This car handles very predictably in the winter with the proper tires. I plan on driving it year round.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:48 PM
AudiologisTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlenk
2006 boxter,2000 miles,clatter noise on cold start at about 125 degrees F.Sound lasts 2-3sec. and has no impact on how the engine runs,any thoughts
known problem for most 987s, typically seen around 2,100RPM
TSB 1726 should take care of it
cheers

Quick Reply: Anyone drive the 987 in the winter?