Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended crank (the saga persists)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:07 AM
paralizer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended crank (the saga persists)

When last we left our intrepid hero, his steed ( an '06 987S) had a new fuel pump and ECM installed in the hopes of solving the dreaded extended crank problem. Alas, the problem persisted.
So back to the dealer I went. Further testing found that during the extended crank the injectors were closed and no spark was being generated. Buy this time the regional service advisor and engineers at Porsche North America in Atlanta were involved. The latest theory was that there was a problem somewhere in the engine immobilizer that is part of the security system. So...several components in the security system as well as both keys were replaced. The car was returned and all parties crossed their fingers.
But...the problem persists. Now everyone the dealer, Porsche North America, the regional service advisor are scratching there heads. The dealer is working directly with Atlanta now to figure out what to do next.
I do have to say that everyone at the dearler, Rector Porsche, has been great. They have really been trying hard.
The problem seems to be a one of a kind problem. I've checked 4 boards and posted on all. No one else has had this problem. According to the dealer this is the first report of this persistent problem. I'm convinced it is some sort of electrical gremlin. So what's next?
Well...since I've already been in 4 times, with only 1600 miles on the odo, it qualifies as a lemon under California law. I started that process yesterday, although if Porsche can resolve the issue, I may stop that process. Also the dealer is going to bring the car back in after getting further direction from Atlanta.
While this has definately been a nuisance, I still love this car. So at worst I'll end up with a new car.
I'll keep everyone updated as events unfold.
Paralizer

Last edited by paralizer; 02-09-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Wow! Well, a lemon is a one-off problem car. and it sounds like yours is. I'd just go ahead and tell the dealership you're going that route. If they are as great as you say they are, they may just save you the long hassle and declare it a lemon themselves and give you a new car.

Quick Reply: Extended crank (the saga persists)