Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Have H&R Springs/Swaybars With Factory Dampeners On 987S

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 07:06 PM
CameronD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Have H&R Springs/Swaybars With Factory Dampeners On 987S

I have the H&R springs, and front/rear swaybars coming in on Tuesday. I wanted to go Coilover again but don't want to drop 2000+ for the system plus install. I had H&R Coilovers on my last Porsche (1999 996C2) , but when the car came with Techart springs, factory dampeners it seems the car didn't handle any better. On the track the coilovers were alot better but not on street driving.
Since the spring rates are not matched to the dampeners I am afraid of messing up the handling! Should I just buy Bilstein struts as well? I would still be into the full system for about 1600$ including Swaybars,springs, and struts.
Which do you all prefer Eibach or H&Rs. I have heard from too many people that H&R's start to sag after awhile but work the best with the stock shock absorbers.
Anyone have any input on JIC coilovers for Porsche.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

I have H&R springs with factory shocks and so far the combo is fine..a little stiffer for street, but not harsh, handling is improved ...and sooo much lower and better looking. Some say you might want to swap out for Bilsteins while you do the springs, since they'll have to R&R the struts to install them anyway. I don't know who makes the OEM shocks but I know the PASM versions are Bilstein

Why are you changing bars? Stock setup is very neutral and balanced...
Old 02-06-2006, 12:15 AM
CameronD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
I have H&R springs with factory shocks and so far the combo is fine..a little stiffer for street, but not harsh, handling is improved ...and sooo much lower and better looking. Some say you might want to swap out for Bilsteins while you do the springs, since they'll have to R&R the struts to install them anyway. I don't know who makes the OEM shocks but I know the PASM versions are Bilstein

Why are you changing bars? Stock setup is very neutral and balanced...
Chris
I am changing out the sway bars because I am an addict. I can't leave them stock. ;-) Actually I changed the sway bars in my 996, and my Mini Cooper S and love the difference it made in body roll. I feel the car is very very well balanced. Almost perfect to be truthful. But I believe Porsche designs all of there models save the GT2, the GT and The GT3 with the average driver in mind and most drivers do not want a stiff suspension with virtually no body roll. That is what I am after. I want minimum roll (I feel the Boxter has a bit too much) and to harden up the ride of the car and of course a lowered stance. This is what my set up will yield.
I may still go with JIC coilovers if I get good feedback on them and I can buy them for under 1500$. It would be nice to dial in the ride hide height to my exact specs. Also I am hoping to bring a bit of oversteer into play. It's fun to slide around a corner sometimes.
Chris when you are in a hard corner and encounter small irregularities in the road surface does your struts hit the bump stops or bottom out. Does it cause the car to get jittery or does it still stay very predictable as with the stock setup. And do you have an exaust on your car or some kind of intake?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

"Chris when you are in a hard corner and encounter small irregularities in the road surface does your struts hit the bump stops or bottom out. Does it cause the car to get jittery or does it still stay very predictable as with the stock setup. And do you have an exaust on your car or some kind of intake?"

My car is still in break-in, so I haven't been hammering it to hard--that will change at Barber in March I have never hit the bump stops, and don't see that happening. I can discern no bad tendencies at all from the lowering springs--it even more stable, planted, and has very little body roll now. My car has 19s, and the ride over the stock wheels and springs has even improved a bit (less harshness)

Search on my earlier posts on H&Rs--you will have a very aggressive street alignment in the rear as the drop maxes out the eccentrics in the rear (approx -2.6 degrees camber)

Stock drivetrain. I am not a big believer in intake/exhaust changes, unless you do a chip or are just changing the sounds.

Quick Reply: Anyone Have H&R Springs/Swaybars With Factory Dampeners On 987S