Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

m3 vs boxster

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 03:08 PM
eyeslasher1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default m3 vs boxster

Trying to decide between these two
Anyone else considered the m3 before purchasing the boxster
was there anything that swayed you towards the boxster
Old 02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The E46 M3 is a great car, but I wanted every ounce of handling I could get in addition to a roadster that wouldn't wear me out on a cross-country cruise. You have good taste. Good luck deciding.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

Traded my 02 M3 cab after a test drive in the Boxster S. What do you value in a performance car? What will you use it for?

M3 = comfy GT/cruiser, more torque, 600 lbs heavier (cab form), less agile, handles well but not as tactile, 4 seater, wayy too much body flex, crappy shifter, powerful but did not feel fast. Boxster S - far more fun to drive, agile, true sports car feel, mid engine handling, looks and rawness, practical storage, slight edge on build quality, less torque, hp and weight.

I wanted a pure sports car with a drop top. I will track the Boxster; wouldn't even consider doing that with the m3 cab. If it's a daily driver, I likely would have kept the m3 until I could jusitfy the 997S.

There is no substitute, really. BMW makes great sedans, well they did before bangle and the electronics took over...
Old 02-01-2006, 05:25 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a buddy with an E36 M3. The M3 has very balanced handling, but my 986 Boxster is lithe, more natural. With its low polar moment of inertia, transitions are effortless in the Boxster. Steady state, the M3 is probably more easy to control, but its transitions feel labored in comparison. Agree with designman. If you want every ounce of handling, go with mid-engine. The M3 is not a bad car, though, and parts/mods are much cheaper.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:59 AM
CameronD
Banned

Just bought a 987S and have driven a newer M3 in both SMG and Manual format. I am the type that does not discriminate against Make of a car when it comes to fun factor and performance. But I will say plainly that if needed two extra seats is not a big deal ****** up the Porsche. Handling is better, car feels faster due to it's significantly smaller size and I cannot say that I have ever driven a car as fun as the Boxter although I due own a modified Mini Cooper S Convertible and it is pretty damn fun and it's fwd.
When I think of Porsche I think of sophistication and class. In a completely different league as a BMW. I think the M3 is a young chaps car still in college or fresh out of college. Just my 2 cents. I do love the bmw though. Drive them both back to back. Get a good feel, test drive them 2x or even 3x to get a solid feel for both vehicles. Whichever retains the smile the small on your face once the test drive is over should be the victor.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:32 AM
wrickem
Intermediate

I have an '04 M3 and an '06 Boxster. Each car has it's pros and cons for everyday driving. I actually enjoy driving the Boxster more though, but in the M3 I feel a little safer because it has all of those super-car powers if you do happen to get in an accident. The Boxster shifts 100X smoother than the M and the clutch is like butter compared to the BMW's. With either one, you really can't go wrong though, the M has room for more people though, so if you run into a jam, you can always put someone in the back seat. One thing I really don't like about the M is when I pull out of work, onto a major highway with people rushing by at 65mph, it almost has too much power on the lose gravel and the traction control (DSC) turns on. with the (DSC) off, it's even worse, the rear just "hops" even with new rear tires. The Boxter is more refined and easy to control in that situation. Either way though, they are both great cars and you can't go wrong with what you buy. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

I'm a young chap in college, and I had my first Porsche in high school. Your generalization is fairly on-the-mark though.

I've never driven a 987, however I have driven both E36 and E46 M3s. My 951 with sport suspension had tighter road feel and better communication than either BMW, though the M3 makes even a novice driver feel like a pro.

I'm a bit out of my element on this forum, but just figured I'd stop by!
Old 02-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Moogle
Race Car

My response is generally a rehash of whats already been said.

I've owned a 2003 (986) Boxster S since 2002 (3+ years)
and a 2004 (E46) M3 for more than a year now.

These cars really shouldnt be compared besides the price point, their purposes are entirely different.

FYI, my M3 is SMG2, and the Boxster S is Manual.

The M3 serves as a very competant GT car, it is my car of choice for trips exceeding a few hundred miles.

The Boxster is quite easily one of the most fun cars I've ever driven, eternally tossable, light and agile.

The M3's steering and brake feel cannot compare to the Porsches of course, that and the weight are the only complaints about it.

The Boxster S has the best combination of driver feedback, handling, visceral thrills availible this side of a Lotus Elise. It is also quite practical, with two trunks, but you would be hard pressed to fit a large suitcase into either.

The M3, as a practical car, can swallow 3 large suitacases in its rear trunk, and if the rear seats (which the boxter lacks) are folded down, much more can be fit inside.

The Rear seats are a huge plus on the M3, they provide plenty of space for adults on short journeys, petite women seem quite content to go on longer trips back there .

I love both these cars, but for different reasons. The M3 feels very solid and has been bulletproof since day 1. The SMG Transmission is flawless and superbly engineered. If one desires lighting fast shifts, they can be had, or if you hit traffic, simply slide the lever to the side and you have the convience of a fully automatic transmission wiithout the shame ( ) of having it in a sportscar.

The M3 is infinitely more practical and comes with free maintinence, two things the boxster cannot lay claim to.

What can I say, if you can, get both. Drive both and decide for yourself. Imagine yourself driving each of them daily and for the tasks and journeys you intend to, and decide what would be easier to live with.

They are both equal in terms of 'Cool' I personally think
In the summer however, not even the GT3 attracts as much attention as my boxster with the speedster humps attached

PS. if you have very specific questions, there are two boards that are highly active and focused for these two cars.

http://www.PPBB.com for the 986/987 Boxster/S
http://www.m3forum.net for the E46 M3
Attached Images    
Old 02-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Tahoe M3
Advanced

I have both as well...E46 M3 and 987S. Straightline performance is a wash, handling of the Boxster is much better. The shifter (with short-shift kit) on the Boxster is much better as well. Brakes and both good, probably a bit better on the Boxster. Steering is very good on both. Both are very fun to drive, but the Boxster is more confidence-inspiring on a windy road. Both are beatiful cars...personally I love the looks of the M3, but the Boxster gets more attention (even though it is a more subdued color). I had the M3 first, and if I had to have just one it would be the M3, simply because it's more practical.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:40 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boxter NO Boxter S yes
Old 02-09-2006, 01:41 AM
gst
Instructor

I had a manual e46 m3 which was sold and replaced by a manual 993 and another manual 987 boxster. The boxster is very much underpowered in comparison and I still miss the e46 m3 dearly

not sure about the 987s though

Quick Reply: m3 vs boxster