Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended crank (update)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 09:31 PM
paralizer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended crank (update)

I posted several weeks ago about an intermittent problem I was having with an extended crank. What happens is that occasionally I turn the key and it will take from 5-10 seconds to catch. Unfortunately there is no specific pattern to when it occurs. The dealer intially checked the fuel pump and fuel pressure, which appeared to be fine.
The dealer was unable to replicate the problem on the first two trips. Finally on this trip, they got it do duplicate. At first they thought it was the primary computer. After a failed attempt to reflash, Porsche said to replace the computer. Unfortunately after the tech finished that proceedure the problem reocurred when the tech went to restart. The tech became convinced that a valve in the fuel pump was sometimes closing for a brief period causing the problem. After observing several more episodes, the tech went ahead and replaced the fuel pump. The tech has checked it several times and now all seems fine. He asked me to leave it overnight tonight, so he could check things over one more time in the morning when the car is cold.
So it looks like all is finally well. I have to say the my service writer, Roger, and the tech, Joe, at Rector Porsche have been great. They have been extremely polite and gone out of there way to keep me updated and apoligized numerous times about having to keep a brand new car so many times and so long. They even got the regional service manager involved just because it was such a challenging problem to identify. While I wish I'd had my car this past weekend I must say I'm impressed with how I've been treated.The Corvette guys were never like this.
I'm mainly posting this so that if anyone else runs into a similar problem they have a starting point. This was definately one of those hard to replicate and track down problems.
Paralizer

Quick Reply: Extended crank (update)