Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TWIN CLUTCH DSG from VW deployed on Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 11:00 PM
cja
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWIN CLUTCH DSG from VW deployed on Porsche?

A friend of mine informed me that Porsche will soon replace its dated tiptronic automatic system with the new audi twin clutch DSG. (in 2 yr's time may be)... any insider news on this? If this is the case, getting a tiptronic now for 2006 will be a big mistake? I do want the 987 in tiptronic.

Anyone can share their insights... now that Porsche owns 20+ % of VW (just like using the cross platformed toureg on its V6... but funny that the cayenne uses also the tiptronic system and nothing carried over from VW on that gearbox front).

Plus anyone know why the Cayenne uses 6 speed tiptronic and Porsche still sticks to 5 speed on its current sports car setup? I supposed 6 speed would offer more advantage.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

As far as Iknow the DSG is built by Borg Warner. Audi uses is in the TT and A3. It would be really nice in a 911 and way better that the tiptronic. Porsche used the Dsg in racing cars more than 20 years ago. I've driven an Audi A3 with DSG and it is wonderful - better than the F1 Gearbox in my 430. Bring it on!
Old 12-14-2005, 11:23 PM
cja
Intermediate

wondering why Porsche never replaced the current tiptronic 5 speed with the DSG? I mean it is much needed to compete with others like the AUDI.

Unless there isn't a demand but this isn't true... at least in HK, 95% of all sales of Porsche is from Tiptronic from 987 - 997 TURBO. I suspect that most porsche in modern days are tiptronic.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:17 AM
CarsRGood
Advanced

The current manual is very rewarding to drive and significantly quicker - although maybe you are in so much traffic its not worthwhile. Of course if you drive both you'll understand. Its not going to be hard to improve on the current Tip which is pretty dated these days.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:35 AM
cja
Intermediate

so it means that there really isn't enough demand to put in a new DSG or new tip for Porsche... at least on the Cayman and Boxster we don't see it being updated on this rollout. It's strange cos I thought they would have done it on the Cayman or Boxster at least.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:37 AM
cja
Intermediate

but what are some good things on the current tip, a dated system, compared to SMG or DSG? I mean for Porsche to offer something that can't stand up to the competition, it is rare. Porsche must see something good about the system to have it still on. One thing could be cost but I doubt it... they have put the toureg engine on the Cayenne and they would have easily just put in a box from VW. No problem. I suspect that they do see something special or good about the tip.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:44 AM
cja
Intermediate

I mean for Porsche to offer something that can't stand up to the competition, it is rare. Porsche must see something good about the system to have it still on. One thing could be cost but I doubt it... they have put the toureg engine on the Cayenne and they would have easily just put in a box from VW. No problem. I suspect that they do see something special or good about the tip. Anyone care to share?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:20 PM
type987s
Instructor

I owned an Audi TT with DSG. Porsche should use it to replace tip. As far as automatics go it can’t be beaten. However, I went back to stick when I bought the Boxster. I just could not adapt to the DSG. During spirited driving I had a hard time keeping up with what gear I was in. You really have to drive the tachometer whereas with a stick you can feel it. But anyone who prefers tip will LOVE DSG.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:31 PM
cja
Intermediate

Yeah... that's why I am kindda disappointed this time around when I buy the 987. I wanna have this car in tiptronic to share with my sister whom I love dearly... plus I figure a stick while being cool for myself means that no one else in the family could drive it (it maybe a good thing).

Looks like I will simply take the tiptronic. Maybe it ain't so bad but I may have a tough time getting used to it given the fact that I had now driven the latest 7G tronic from Mercedes. Smooth and nice.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:44 PM
heybiff
Instructor

I believe some magazine had a blurb about the technology, and said there were problems with high HP applications ( 250+). That was a while ago, so I'm sure things have changed. But everything takes time. Porsche is probably more concerned than many manufacturers with longevity of major components when the owner makes performance mods; veen if they do void the warranty. Tiptronic probably is much sturdier than it gets credit for.

Heybiff
Old 01-14-2006, 08:04 PM
type987s
Instructor

I think the main problem is torque. Performance upgrades for my Audi TT with DSG were damn near nonexistent. Everyone I spoke with advised torque limits with the DSG prevented upgrades.

Quick Reply: TWIN CLUTCH DSG from VW deployed on Porsche?