Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pictched rattle/squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:54 PM
05Boxster
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pictched rattle/squeal?

I notice in the morning while driving a high pitched rattle type sound coming from the engine. At first it almost sounded like a belt slipping, but now I think it has more of a very fast rattle sound. It only occurs when the engine is not at normal operating temp, but usually around 125-150 degrees. It comes and goes, and once the motor is warm, it completely stops. Any ideas? The car is a 2005 2.7 with 5 speed.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:00 PM
rkeyser
Advanced

Both my 05s do that too. I think it is a catalytic converter heat shield. It only does it at certain temperatures and certain rpms. It is easy to fix. My M3 was even worse.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I have the same thing, I think. It's a very fast rattle, it comes on only between 2000 and 2100 rpm, only while the engine is just partly warm, only when in gear and running, and only with the first start up in the morning. Have left it with the dealership twice, and they can't isolate it. Biggest problem in isolating it is that it only comes on for a very short time, and not always reproducible. The tech's best guess is that it's the clutch release bearing. Since replacing the bearing means taking the tranny down, I've decided to leave it alone for now unitl something else shows up. Might be a good excuse to have the clutch disk replaced as well for free under warranty when it's ready .

Rkeyser, did yours sound like the description above? Did you have the cats replaced in both your Boxsters?
Old 11-24-2005, 04:51 PM
paralizer
Instructor

This sounds a bit like a problem thats been discussed over at Rennteam. I believe the problem has been traced to the oil/air separator. A TSB has been issued for European cars and supposedly was going to be issued for North American cars.
Paralizer
Old 11-24-2005, 09:36 PM
05Boxster
AutoX

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I would hesitate to bite on the tech's idea of the clutch release bearing because the sound goes away when the engine is warm. I would be more inclined to think it's some type of shield that expands and contracts with temperature. I just put her away for the winter but someone may want to try pressing on the clutch lightly when hearing the noise. If it doesn't go away, then it's definitely not the clutch bearing. I too am afraid of them tearing down the motor or tranny, and may just live with it unless it gets worse.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:27 PM
rkeyser
Advanced

I doubt if it's a clutch release bearing. I don't have one.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

I have experienced the same rattle with my '05 987S since I got the car in April. Wasn't too worried, as it sounded like an exhaust shield to me, and I knew it would be tough to diagnose as it only occured at 2100 RPM and 150 degrees coolant temp.

A couple weeks ago, I brought it to the dealer for an oil change before winter storage, and while they had it they performed recall W575, which was the installation of washers on the exhaust clamps. That was it, sort of. On the way home, the buzz had changed tone (quieter) and happened closer to normal operating temperature. Unfortunately, that was the last I drove it prior to storage other than to dry the brakes after washing. It is now sleeping in the garage.

So I suspect the exhaust clamps, and would get the recall campaign performed (I got no notice from Porsche). HTH
Old 11-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Just an update to the mysterious rattle. Started the car up last week, and it made an awful racket, CEL came on, and that rattle was now continuous. Sounded just awful. Shut it down and had it flat-bedded to the dealership. It started up fine at the dealership, and NO RATTLE .

Computer indicated a misfire incident. Techs went ahead and did a general tune-up, changed oil and filter, all done on the PCNA nickel. It passed the test drive with flying colors. Have driven it now several times, and no rattle, running smooth as silk. Hope that did the trick. If not, I'll have them check those clamps.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:35 PM
type987s
Instructor

I have the exact same problem and my 987 has been to the dealer twice. According to my Service Manager and Porsche Engineers the problem is coming from the “Oil Pump Plunger?” I will try to find out the technical part name and number when it is replaced Dec 6th. Wish me luck 
Old 01-07-2006, 03:17 PM
type987s
Instructor

The FIX is in

Replace oil pump plunger per Porsche Tech Line. 206
Noise at oil pump regulating valve.
The following parts were replaced:

996-107-127-53 Oil Piston Spring
996-107-125-51 Oil Pump Piston
996-107-123-50 Pump Piston Ring

One of the parts had to be sent to a machine shop for modification prior to installation.
This repair fixed my car.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

Excellent information. Just to verify, was the noise in your case only occuring as the engine was warming, and gone when at normal operating temperature? If so, I'm on it.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:19 AM
type987s
Instructor

Yep, just when warming up....Sound went away at operating temp.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:51 PM
CarsRGood
Advanced

Is this the same thing? Here are my EXACT symptoms:

Temp needle mid way between full left (cold) and center (normal). Exact RPM 2100-2200. Usually very brief buzzing noise as motor passes thorugh this range. Fades and disappears as temp reaches normal.

Does not sound like any oil pump related thing, more like my imagination of an intake air heat valve that is getting ready to shift into the cold air position and isn't quite settled.

Honestly it doesn't bother me all that much and if its ONLY a noise and not something more serious I could easily live with it rather than bother taking it in. Of course if they will fix it free while its in for service anyway I suppose I'd have them do it.

Curious if we are even talking about the same thing.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Type 987s: Was there a service action or bulletin on this issue? What is tech line 206? Thanks!
Old 01-11-2006, 05:21 PM
type987s
Instructor

CarsRGood, the symptoms are the same. The noise did not sound like an oil pump problem to me either and I was very skeptical prior to the repair but it worked. The fix is actually easy and it only took about an hour and a half to complete. The three parts involved will fit in the palm of your hand.

Chris, there is no service bulletin yet but one should be forthcoming. Apparently my car was one of the repair ginny pigs along with the Porsche Technical Rep for my area (North Carolina). His car reportedly had the same problem. I don't know what tech line 206 means. I just posted all the information listed on my receipt.

I was told the problem would not cause any damage. Others may want to wait till the new part is available from Porsche. The part placed on my car had to be sent to a machine shop to modified prior to installation. Something about an edge that has to be beveled?

Quick Reply: High pictched rattle/squeal?