Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod integration status

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 11:44 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPod integration status

I read with interest many threads on the subject and was wondering if any of you has any new information regarding how to integrate an iPod with our bose systems.

I'm a bit disappointed but understand why Porsche has a captive/propriatery system. However, I cannot believe they don't develop it to provide Satellite radio and iPod integration. Hey Porsche if you read this, sell me an iPod cable for $1k if you have to but don't leave us with just a CD player/changer.

On a related note I tried to burn and play an mp3 cd in my 06 car and that did not work. Is there anything special I should do with the cd

Thanks

AW
Old 11-13-2005, 01:03 AM
webnuts4u2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am disappointed that there's no way to easily interface my iPod to my auto with more than a FM transmitter. I'm sure there's a way but who has the specs for the radio? In the mean time I purchased the Monster Cable FM transmitter. It works fairly well and keeps the iPod charged at the same time.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:11 PM
mbodo
Racer

Does your FM transmitter attach directly to your iPod, or does it plug into one of the car's DC ports? I have an iRiver FM Xmitter. It is a little bulky and needs to be plugged directly into the DC port.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:14 PM
webnuts4u2
Track Day

I plugs into one of the ports. I've used it in all 3 (even though Porsche says don't use the one in the ashtray) to power the iPod.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:16 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Guys, I've used a new BWW system (a friend of a friend) that you can control the iPod from the deck, and I'll tell you this, it's not as great as you might think. Trying to navigate through folders is clumsy at best, I much prefer using the actual ipod click wheel.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
AW,
The headunit is made by Becker (a division of Harmon Kardon international), not Bose.
MOST is an OEM specification currently used by DaimlerChrysler, Audi and Porsche. It is these OEM's who specify to their suppliers (Becker and Bose) the interface requirement.
http://www.mostcooperation.com/

There has been talk of aftermarket OEM MOST devices (Densionusa has been promising their iPod AUX in adapter for over a year now....they showed it last January....nothing yet). There are also some other companies who say they will offer devices this coming year.

I could explain the MOST system in detail, but it wouldn't change the fact that currently there is nothing you can buy or Porsche can offer you.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:08 PM
AW
Pro

I have an iPod in the GT2 by using an aftermarket receiver. Navigation is a pain, however, it is trivial to select a playlist and shuffle. I no longer carry a single CD in that car...

A
Old 01-20-2006, 08:57 PM
JimR
7th Gear

On a related note I tried to burn and play an mp3 cd in my 06 car and that did not work. Is there anything special I should do with the cd
I've tried a couple different burns, and had no luck myself. Did you ever figure it out?

That's one of my goals for the weekend. We just got the car the week between Christmas and New Years, and have been busy, so haven't had a chance to figure out the proper format trick.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:46 AM
AW
Pro

I have only tried a few cds but they don't work. However, the same mp3 cds work in another car which support MP3 so I'm guessing at least my boxster receiver doesn't support mp3 for some reasons.

AW
Old 01-21-2006, 03:21 PM
JimR
7th Gear

Do you have PCM? In looking at the Porsche web site, I note that they only talk about playing MP3s in the PCM section. I can't remember if I used the single-slot, or if I put the CDs in the changer up front. I can't try it right this moment, wife is off in it.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:51 AM
CarsRGood
Advanced

mp3 cds only work with PCM
Old 01-26-2006, 02:47 AM
AW
Pro

That's it... I don't have PCM
Old 01-26-2006, 03:55 AM
Sobe
Pro

Good headphones and ipod in your pocket !

Quick Reply: iPod integration status