Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 speed v. 6 speed Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5 speed v. 6 speed Boxster?

Well, I went to my local dealer yesterday to check out the new Boxster. I was previously considering a new 997 (but was choking on the thought of how much the car would depreciate in the first two years alone). After I saw the new Boxster, however, I think I'm going to go that route. Great looking car.

I don't need a daily driver since I work at home; in fact, I'm looking for a car to do DE events and such. I'm also considering the Boxster S, but am leaning to the less expensive option, as it will undoubtedly have more than enough power for my capabilities.

The dealer suggested I get the 6-speed version of the Boxster with the Sport Package (also including PASM).

My question: What's the difference b/w the 5-speed and the 6-speed transmission in terms of performance? It seems like an expensive option, and would probably require me to special order the car. I'd like to avoid a special order in the hopes of negotiating a better deal on a car that's on the lot.

Thoughts?

What about PASM? Is this worth it?
Old 01-23-2005, 03:55 PM
hayaku
Advanced

pasm or any traction control will get in the way of an experienced driver... if you want to get faster, you will need to get rid of it. disabling the function will not disable all of it... its still in the way... also, if you want to learn how to drive faster, get rid of pasm.. its a learning crutch...

but for people who will not invest the time/effort to learn how to drive a car at its limits, pasm or any form of traction control is a life saver.

5 vs 6 gears at track don't matter much since you'll be using up to 4th mainly (unless you regear)...
mileage isn't that much different from the two, and with performance cars, its not really a concern since you will be driving harder then an econo commuting sedan...

in my experience, dealers will always try to upsell you on the car with more options because its more expensive and easier to sell... if you are considering reselling, the more optioned car will be easier to resale to the open public...

hth
Old 01-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

Thanks for the input. As I think about it, I never did get past 4th gear in my 5-speed the few times (so far) I've been on the track.

As to traction control, PSM (porsche's traction control) comes standard. I don't think there's anyway to completely get rid of it.

PASM, however, refers to porsche's "active suspension management", which apparently adjusts the damping rate on the shocks. According to Porsche, the ride height is slighly lower. And, set in "sport" mode the shocks are stiffer.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:32 PM
hayaku
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bodhi
Thanks for the input. As I think about it, I never did get past 4th gear in my 5-speed the few times (so far) I've been on the track.

As to traction control, PSM (porsche's traction control) comes standard. I don't think there's anyway to completely get rid of it.

PASM, however, refers to porsche's "active suspension management", which apparently adjusts the damping rate on the shocks. According to Porsche, the ride height is slighly lower. And, set in "sport" mode the shocks are stiffer.

you're right.. i had suspension on my brain before and typed pasm without thinking... sorry...

for anyone who seriously tracks hard, pasm will not be enough, imo... for the occasional track day and especially if the car is not going to get outfitted for track (ie: shells, rollbar, harnesses, r-comp tires, fire extinguisher, etc, etc etc etc etc), then pasm will probably feel pretty nice and not get in the way... these folks would swap the full suspension out for more performance anyways...
Old 01-24-2005, 06:08 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you are going to install your own track suspension (i.e. PSS9, JRZ, etc) then I would not worry about the PSAM if I were you. However, if you want to drive the car from the dealer to the track without doing anything (except safety equipment of course) then PSAM with Sport Chrono is a must. I drove the 987S without PSAM or Sport Chrono and the suspension is tight, but no near tight enough. The PSAM with Sport Chrono is going to make a world of difference. I'm not sure what the PSAM and Sport Chrono cost from the factory, but a PSS9 setup will run ~$3K and a JRZ's will be ~$5K.

The difference between a 5 and 6 speed transmission is the ratio between gears. With a 6 speed you are going to stay higher in the RPM range between shifts, which equates to have more torque to the ground when shifting to a higher gear. Again from dealer to track I would opt for the 6 speed. If I was going to customize my gears, and/or replace the ring and pinion I might opt for the 5 speed.

Another thing to consider is the PCCB. These are only available on the S. But are going to worth 3x their weight in gold on the track. They are lighter than the normal brakes, and we all know removal of unsprung weight is extremely valuable. Plus they are going to be just as consistent on lap 30 as they were on lap 1.

Other than that keep the option list short unless they are delete options.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:56 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:29 AM
gabbagabbahey
Advanced

From what I've read PASM is pretty cool when mated with the sport chrono. At the risk of sounding like a Porsche car heretic, if your main goal is to have have fun doing track events and not to use the car as a daily driver, give a Lotus Elise a test spin.

Quick Reply: 5 speed v. 6 speed Boxster?