Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 02:41 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 987 Options

I was wondering if some of you current boxster owners could provide some information on the following options that I'm not necessarily sure that I need:

Auto Climate Control - $550
Self Dimming Mirrors & Rain Sensor - $690
Porsche Crests in Headrests - $220

I'm definitely going with the S, so I'm trying to keep my options down to keep the price reasonable.

Does anyone have a picture of what the manual climate control looks like?

Thanks,
Stacey
Old 11-18-2004, 03:16 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my opinion.....

All are nice, but you don't *need* any of them.

I have never had an "auto climate" controlled car that I didn't have to fiddle with as much as a non-equipped car.......just give me a good base system and I'll be happy.

The self dimming mirrors / rain sensor I've also had on other cars.......and didn't miss them when I didn't have them. All I do is put a light tint on the windows which I prefer and that takes care of the glare problem. Again, for the wipers I've never had an "auto" system that I didn't have to fiddle with as much as a good manual one. Just give me a good intermittent control and I'm happy.

The crests are nice, but again, you don't really need them.

The only thing I have put in my gotta have catagory are Xenon lights & Bose. The rest is not needed in my opinion.......others will have a different one.......
Old 11-18-2004, 03:35 PM
sailor
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have these options in my '99.
The auto climate control is great. It actually works well.
However, the rain sensor/ mirror dimmer is a joke. It is a waste of $$$(imho). Much like the Porsche crests in the headrest. They are pressed into the leather and over time, they begin to become less and less noticeable. Eventually I think they'll dissappear altogether!
Another option to avoid is the wood trim package. Although it is beautiful at first, over time the glue begins to give up making the pieces become loose and prone to being chipped.

Options I do like....
Full Boxster Red interior, including steering wheel, carpets, visors, air vents, console, and everything else! Still looks as fine today as it did the day I bought it.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:23 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No spare??

My only fantasy with options would be paint-and-upholstery to sample, but that would cost what, about another $10 grand? Out of the question.

IMO all P-cars now come with exactly what you need without options. I got a leftover with cruise, heated seats and touring sport package. I use none of that stuff, not even the wind stop. It also came with PSM but now it’s standard. My radio reception sucks but I could care less. I have found that the elemental experience of the ride is the only thing that matters.

I heard the 997 doesn’t have a spare tire, only a can of flat fix. I suppose 987 is the same situation. Any word on this? Guess we'll just have to shrug that one off.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:06 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with the climate control. Skip the mirrors and crest. If you skip the climate control, your resale will suffer.

That is, IF you ever sell your car...
Old 11-22-2004, 11:52 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

That's kind of what I was thinking.

So far this is what I'm getting...

Boxster S - Guards Red with Sand Beige
19" Carrera S Wheels & Porsche Wheel Caps
Auto Climate Control
Floor mats - Sand Beige
Bose Sound System with windstop
Old 11-22-2004, 04:27 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course it's your money but I'd never get the 19" wheels. Pretty soon we'll be rolling around on pure steel like old-fashioned roller skates. In New York I'd have to buy 'em by the dozen.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:54 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

You're probably right...but I just like the bling factor too much. :-D
I moved to Colorado from New York. I wouldn't have 19's there either. In Colorado for a pretty much summer only car I think i'll be ok.

Stacey
Old 11-22-2004, 11:40 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

The buzz from recent articles on the new Boxster S suggest the peformance isn't as good with the 19inchers. Just something to think about. IMO its a little overthe top, but they sure do look good.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Porsche's floor mats are crap. Save the money and get a set of LLoyds Mats. They use to supply them for Porsche. You can have them personalized.

Quick Reply: 987 Options