Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for GTgears on unusual cayman build

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 05:54 PM
914 racer
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for GTgears on unusual cayman build

GTgears, I’d like to get your opinion about what I’m planning on doing and maybe saving me from making a big mistake.
I’m attempting to build a semi low budget but fast DE car from an 06 cayman I bought with no engine or trans. I’ve purchased an LS2 engine that puts out 400 hp/400ftlbs torque. I also purchased a g97-01 trans with 23k that I plan to install upside down behind the LS.( Stan from box gave me the idea because he said they use this setup on kit cars used in the Ford VS Ferrari movie, although he told me to get a 996 box, he also said this’s would help with axle angles on a lowered car )
I bought the 997 box because it was only $900 due to a slight grinding issue on fast 1st to 2 nd shifts, this doesn’t bother me because I will almost never even use 1st gear on the track. I plan to install a cooler that will dump the cooled oil on the ring and pinion and the car should only weigh 2500lbs max.
So my questions are, is this possible am I missing some important information. Will I be ok using this box or should I look for a 996 box, or should I scrap the whole upside down box idea and find a 986s box.
In case your wondering Kennedy engineering says the can make me adapters for any of these configurations.
I would greatly appreciate your input,you sound like you know your **** on the forums.Thanks!

Old 05-18-2020, 08:02 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

You should send him a PM in case he doesn’t see your post. Good luck with the project. Sounds fun!

Alex
Old 05-18-2020, 11:27 PM
914 racer
Track Day

Thanks I tried to pm him but his pm box is full!
Old 05-20-2020, 01:40 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Sorry, my PM box is full on purpose. I only come around once in a while for relaxation and was getting hassled at all hours with business questions. I'm a family man and have some health issues and keep my 9-5 schedule pretty strict. Always best to email me with business questions or if you want me to pop in and offer my 2 cents on something technical.

Sounds like a lot of work for no actual gains. For starters, the 997 Aisin gearbox has shorter ratios than the 996 Getrag version. That's already a bad match for a v8. And then you have to flip it? That requires complete disassembly of the gearbox and machine work. To what end? Sounds to me like Stan is trying to sell you the work and not giving you good straight advice.

Sell the gearbox and get a proper mid-engine gearbox. The G96-20 Boxster S gearbox or ANY Cayman 6spd gearbox would be better. You can plumb a cooler off the fill and drain plugs. Don't worry about squirting anything. Just make sure to increase the volume and cool it properly. That's what we've done on the racecars for 15 years. The Cayman gearbox is based off the A4 Audi TDI FWD gearbox. The gears are plenty wide and strong. The Carrera gearbox is in no way stronger.
The following users liked this post:
Deepbluejh (05-25-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:17 PM
914 racer
Track Day

Thanks so much for your advice, sorry to hear about your health issues, these forums take so much time I don’t know how you can get anything done and keep up with them. Your probably right about gettting a proper mid engine box since I have to buy the adapter plate and clutch ( no small investment) and if the rear drive box doesn’t work I have to start over again with new adapters.

Quick Reply: Question for GTgears on unusual cayman build