Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advisor's Sapphire Blue 981 Cayman GTS Journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 04:27 PM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Advisor's Sapphire Blue 981 Cayman GTS Journal

Name:  850_8085a.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  399.9 KB
For the better part of 2 years, I have been looking for a 981 Cayman to replace my F80 M3. Along the way I swapped my 991.1 Carrera S for a new 991.2 GT3, but I also wanted something that I could enjoy without always having to take out the GT3. After riding in several Cayman's on track & doing a test drive on my own, I knew that a 981 would be next. The hard part was finding one that checked enough boxes for me. I went back & forth between an 'S' & a 'GTS'. The hard part was finding an 'S' with most of what I wanted. I came across a white GTS in Texas last year but the seller & I weren't able to come to an agreement since he really wanted to sell the car locally. I looked off & on for a while, more off than on since I have the GT3. Several months ago though, while not really looking, the Panorama magazine arrived & like you I immediately flipped to the classified section. There is where I saw the ad for it. It wasn't listed on any of the car selling websites. I shot the owner a text message & to make a long story short, about a month or so later the car was in my driveway after making the trek from the west coast to the east coast. By then, the whole world was basically on lock down due to Covid-19 so I'm glad we were still able to work out the logistics. The car will share duties as a weekend cruiser and will eventually see some track time.

Build includes:
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera
GTS Interior Package
Sport Suspension
Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats (18-way)
Extended interior package, door panel in leather/Alcantara
Infotainment Package with Burmester® High-end Surround Sound System
Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shells in Leather
Steering column casing in leather
Sun Visors in Alcantara
Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber
Fire Extinguisher
$108K Build

Enough talk. On to the pictures. A couple before it was loaded onto the truck on the west coast.

Once she arrived on the east coast. 😎

The wife driving her home. Something tells me we will end up ‘fighting’ over her.

Love the interior touches.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by Advisor; 05-17-2020 at 08:17 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Advisor:
CaymanCarver (08-15-2021), crazeazn (08-15-2021), Hyped (05-12-2020), M-Pilot (05-12-2020), M. Schneider (05-12-2020), Only1Buck (05-12-2020), PorscheAddict (07-22-2020), Viper pilot (05-13-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-12-2020, 07:29 PM
M-Pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats! I'm in a similar situation as you OP. I replaced my M4 Competition with M2 Competition in late 2018 and sold my M2C in early February. My original goal was to get a sports sedan but after test driving a Cayman GTS, I immediately fell in love. For the past couple months I've been looking for one but haven't been so lucky yet. I love your spec and I hope I can find a clean example like yours as well.
The following users liked this post:
Advisor (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 07:46 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,134 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Congrats on a great looking car. Interior spec is great.
Advisor (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 07:51 PM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M-Pilot
Congrats! I'm in a similar situation as you OP. I replaced my M4 Competition with M2 Competition in late 2018 and sold my M2C in early February. My original goal was to get a sports sedan but after test driving a Cayman GTS, I immediately fell in love. For the past couple months I've been looking for one but haven't been so lucky yet. I love your spec and I hope I can find a clean example like yours as well.
I have yet to drive an M2C but I hear they are pretty sweet. You will find one eventually. I’m sure you see that since it’s only approximately 25 for sale in the whole country it just takes a ton of patience to find the right spec. Once you find it, it will be worth it though. Happy hunting!
Old 05-12-2020, 07:53 PM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Congrats on a great looking car. Interior spec is great.
Thanks. I wanted alcantara, carbon & full leather. Everything else was a bonus!
Old 05-12-2020, 10:28 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Stunning...love the whole package...enjoy
Old 05-12-2020, 10:57 PM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
Thanks, I appreciate it. I plan to!
Old 05-12-2020, 11:05 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
Stunning GTS, enjoy it in good health. Do you really have 3x R32's? I love the mk5 R32, but never seen someone to own three!
The following 2 users liked this post by z3mcoupe:
Advisor (05-12-2020), M. Schneider (05-29-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 08:54 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

@z3mcoupe ... yes I really do have 3 x R32s the red one has a little of 60k miles, blue a little over 70k and the white one a little over 80k miles ...
Old 05-15-2020, 12:06 AM
tlaritz
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Advisor:

I know that it is subjective, but how do you like the engine (especially its torque curve) combined with the PDK for spirited street driving? I'm told that the 2nd gear ratio is pretty tall in the GTS with PDK. Can you get a decent acceleration from a stop without hitting the engine's redline?

As my other posts show, I currently have a GT4. Due to covid and the relatively short driving season in Denver, I must currently enjoy the GT4 only on the street, and don't like pushing the engine to near its redline to get to peak torque. On the track, where you can drive the GT4 angrily (ie, near its redline) I anticipate the GT4 would be great.

Sorry for such a nebulous question. Probably the only way I will know for sure is to drive the GTS with the PDK. Thanks for any feedback.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:52 PM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tlaritz
Advisor:

I know that it is subjective, but how do you like the engine (especially its torque curve) combined with the PDK for spirited street driving? I'm told that the 2nd gear ratio is pretty tall in the GTS with PDK. Can you get a decent acceleration from a stop without hitting the engine's redline?

As my other posts show, I currently have a GT4. Due to covid and the relatively short driving season in Denver, I must currently enjoy the GT4 only on the street, and don't like pushing the engine to near its redline to get to peak torque. On the track, where you can drive the GT4 angrily (ie, near its redline) I anticipate the GT4 would be great.

Sorry for such a nebulous question. Probably the only way I will know for sure is to drive the GTS with the PDK. Thanks for any feedback.
I enjoy the engine of the GTS & its power band. Not exactly sure the difference between the GT4's manual gearing & the PDK of the GTS but no doubt you will feel a little less power. If you do not like winding out the GT4 my guess is you won't enjoy it on the GTS with less power. May want to look into something turbo charged if you want to feel more power down low. I personally can't get enough of the N/A sound & how it sounds as you wind it out. Happy hunting!
M. Schneider (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 02:04 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 901 Likes on 402 Posts

Never was a fan of the blue, but I am now!!!

she is stunning!!!!

congrats!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal-NSX:
Advisor (05-17-2020), M. Schneider (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 02:38 PM
tlaritz
Instructor

Thanks for the response. And, obviously, your car is beautiful!

I'm going to drive a GTS (Sapphire Blue!) with PDK on Monday. My hope is that the PDK will always keep me in the peak torque band. So, I should know a lot more after Monday.

If only my GT4 had a PDK, I suspect I would keep it. I'd just have to endure the harsh suspension.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:43 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,284 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaritz
...If only my GT4 had a PDK, I suspect I would keep it. I'd just have to endure the harsh suspension.

Thanks.
A re-gear, and DSC Controller could resolve both of those issues.

M. Schneider (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 04:59 PM
tlaritz
Instructor

Good points colnago60. I remember seeing an extensive post debating available gear ratios and final drive ratios for the GT4. Updating the ratios looks like a non-trivial cost, however. But it is certainly an option to remembver.

I have found and skimmed your extensive thread wrt DSC controller. Your patience is commendable. It is a relatively inexpensive upgrade and easy to install. This too I will keep in mind.

If I were to go with one or both of those routes, I think I'd want to wait for my CPO to expire. I would hate to invalidate the CPO because I (perhaps incorrectly) assume that the CPO would cover the GT4 3rd gear failure should it occur.

I still suspect I will like the PDK in the GTS. But it'll be hard to give up the 3.8 l engine.

Sad isn't it that I have such worries when folks are loosing their jobs and loved ones?

Last edited by tlaritz; 05-16-2020 at 07:03 PM. Reason: enhancements

Quick Reply: Advisor's Sapphire Blue 981 Cayman GTS Journal