Sponsored by: APR

Starting the mods on my new to me 981 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 10:37 AM
nippy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Starting the mods on my new to me 981 Spyder

iIts a SICKNESS. Just wrapped up my wide body 911 build. Picked up a 16 Spyder. Parts are inbound and will be done within a week or two. The usual GT4 parts but on a drop top rather than the GT4. Dundon competition headers, IPD plenum/Gt3 throttle body and a custom tune. A few cosmetic items as well, GT4 front splitter, clear side markers, powder coating the wheels satin black with new OEM center caps. 10MM wheel spacers all the way around and fresh Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. Car has an Alpine touch screen inside and some speakers from PO. I plan on doing a hard wired in Valentine 1 radar as well and that should do it. I wish I had the LWB seats but I couldn't pass up the deal on this car. Maybe I can find a set down the road, but almost unobtanium in the matching red, I'm sure.

911 thread if bored https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...rn-inside.html

The Spyder

The following users liked this post:
masti99 (05-14-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 11:41 AM
nippy
Rennlist Member

First things arrived, rubber!

Old 04-17-2020, 01:03 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice color combo.

Can't tell from pics... are those 4, 14, or 18-way adjustable seats? Ever think about replacing the Alcantara on the seats with Pepita houndstooth? The red/black/white version of it would really go well with the white exterior/red interior of your buggy.

https://p1designs.com/fabrics/

http://classicfx.net/materials/
Old 04-17-2020, 01:06 PM
nippy
Rennlist Member

Just the basic seats, which im good with to keep the weight down. Really wish I could get a set of the LWBs. I may do that (the inserts), I had it in my last car, the blue one. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:59 PM
nippy
Rennlist Member

Going for this look with the black wheels.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:26 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

That happens to be my exact car but mine does have the lwbs so I can wholeheartedly say you made a great choice. Get compliments on it all the time.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:12 AM
nippy
Rennlist Member

Alarm system unless there is a squirrel around!

Old 04-18-2020, 10:40 AM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

I’m looking forward to watching your mods. I picked up a 981 Spyder on 1/31 of this year. I don’t have good pictures yet as the weather has sucked here in Ohio lately. It’s white with black interior with red stitching. It has 18 way seats, not my first choice but the price was good. It is CPO with a clean DME report. The only mods I have done so far are clear side markers and replacing the P0s with PS4Ss. The car now has 17k miles. Here is a bad pic in my filthy garage. Winter is tough on garages here.
The following users liked this post:
nippy (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 10:51 AM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice looking ride. Dumb question about the Alpine head unit. Does it display the normal Porsche vehicle menu settings (or somehow simulate or talk to the car with its own interface)? or do you lose that functionality?
Old 04-18-2020, 10:55 AM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Good looking Vizsla ! Great dogs.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:15 AM
Lvanpelt729
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Can't wait to watch all the mods unfold. Any thoughts on adding GT4 style side scoops? That's on my list of possible options (in addition to many of your plans). Congrats on the beautiful car (and dog)!
Old 04-18-2020, 12:04 PM
nippy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gearFX
Nice looking ride. Dumb question about the Alpine head unit. Does it display the normal Porsche vehicle menu settings (or somehow simulate or talk to the car with its own interface)? or do you lose that functionality?
To answer your question, no I don't think so. The prior owner does have the original radio which I may try and get back for the next guy but I'm good with the Alpine.I never owned it with the factory set up, so I don't know what I'm missing. This was a lightly optioned car from what I can tell. Didn't have the nav/no hump on the rear decklid. I use my phone for nav. Radio/sound is incredible however there is no sound from rear speakers behind seats. Not sure if those were vacant from factory or not. Going to stereo shop in the next few weeks to get that sorted. I think the factory speakers are in the doors and dash, will change them out to some nicer quality as I blew the passenger's door speaker already. Other then that, It has a great HD rear view camera, I don't think its factory, and it has better resolution than most of my TVs. May invest in a front camera which the Apine does have the capability for. Also want to hardwire the new gen V1 into the car.

Last edited by nippy; 04-18-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:15 PM
nippy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
Can't wait to watch all the mods unfold. Any thoughts on adding GT4 style side scoops? That's on my list of possible options (in addition to many of your plans). Congrats on the beautiful car (and dog)!
I like the GT4 side scoops and may do that down the road. I canceled the IPD plenum and TB yesterday after talking to Jamie at Dundon. They make the headers I have on order, be here next week. He said they dyno tested the plenum/TB combo with the headers and tune/also no tune and the set up showed ZERO power gains. He has no skin in the game as they offer those parts for sale as well. So I canceled that with Suncoast and ordered the Cobb tuner for the same price. Should be able to bolt on the headers and plug in the tuner and download a tune from Jamie/Dundon made especially for the race header mod I'm doing. He says it will yield great results. I have been reading about the same thing from others. I think you need to do the intake runners along with the plenum/TB and that's when the top intake really opens up. Not ready to plunk down another 3500 for the intake runners (just yet). I cant wrap my head around 400WHP in this car, it would be insane!

Cool link for the Dundon stuff, no affiliation.
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1118...01whp-gt4.html
Old 04-18-2020, 12:25 PM
nippy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by patrickkirby
Good looking Vizsla ! Great dogs.

Thanks yeah we love em. Best kept secret in the dog world, similar to the Spyder secret in the Porsche world (if you can say that). I have 2 but the other one didn't want to pose in front of the car today. Copper and Penny his lil sister. Haven't been apart since birth. Eternal best buds to each other and us!

Old 04-18-2020, 04:47 PM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Good analogy with the Spyder, also hard to get and expensive. I would absolutely do two next time.

Quick Reply: Starting the mods on my new to me 981 Spyder