Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 base - 981 GTS.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 03:22 PM
Lucio Cesaro
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981 base - 981 GTS.

Hello everyone. I joined the forum as I saw discussions about the 981 engines. I just wanted to know how it was possible that the base model with the PSE, 2.7, was louder than the 3.4. Shouldn't it be the other way around? How can you explain this to me? I just ask for information, thank you very much.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:10 PM
cjrhoades
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Link to the discussion you're speaking of? Assuming the exhaust systems are identical (headers, cats, mufflers, piping length/diameter, etc), the exhaust valves are the same diameter, and the exhaust ports on the heads are the same length, shape, and diameter, then theoretically the 3.4L engine should be louder as it has a longer stroke which would make the piston speed higher causing the exhaust gasses to be expelled from the cylinder at a higher velocity. That's a lot of assumptions though and I doubt the engines actually share that many parts. There's too many variables to say for sure which "should" be louder.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:56 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 331 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucio Cesaro
Hello everyone. I joined the forum as I saw discussions about the 981 engines. I just wanted to know how it was possible that the base model with the PSE, 2.7, was louder than the 3.4. Shouldn't it be the other way around? How can you explain this to me? I just ask for information, thank you very much.
Did the 3.4 also have PSE?

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 02-26-2020, 10:48 PM
hsattley
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

My understanding is: comparing a 2.7 and 3.4 without PSE, the 2.7 has a freer flowing exhaust. Porsche had to find some way to up horsepower despite downsizing from the 987.2’s 2.9 unit. See: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/

The 3.4 is also essentially a slightly reworked version of the one in the 987 S, so assuming they kept the exhaust similar for the 3.4 in the 981, it wouldn’t be impossible that the 2.7 is louder. I have driven a base and S 981, both w/o PSE, back to back, and I also found that the 3.4 was quieter. If the 2.7 with PSE is louder than 3.4 with PSE, then it’s likely something to do with the engine itself because I assumed that the PSE is the same for both cars.

Quick Reply: 981 base - 981 GTS.