Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just because it's "CPO"...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 05:52 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 805 Posts
Default Just because it's "CPO"...

...doesn't mean you shouldn't check everything yourself. Or at least make sure consumables are addressed prior to delivery.

I bought a 981 GT4 from a local dealer in July, which had 30k on the clock. I passed on PPI (rookie mistake) since the replacement salesman turned out to be a long lost buddy of mine (another story in itself), who assured me it was in good shape as the original previous owner purchased from them, and car was always serviced there. I had never driven one but I wasn't impressed at all with the speed, once I was able to get it on open roads, and was on the phone with the people at Dundon trying figure out upgrade paths. I also noticed an intermittent knock/ping/rattle, and hesitation on hard acceleration, within the first two weeks, and brought it back to them twice, and once to another dealer to diagnose. No issue was found, nor corrective action taken by either dealer. My next step was to have an indy check plugs.

Admittedly, the problem was hard to replicate, but always surfaced at the same RPM, and under closed, to just barley cracking the throttle. I get that the dealer may not be obligated to perform oil change, or service interval out of schedule, but given that it was for sale on the showroom floor long enough for a few buyers to show interest (I cleaned out leaves and tire marbles from the intakes when it was in the showroom), and they had it 3 weeks after me signing papers to remediate 3rd gear recall, along with it being in on 3 occasions for the same issue, it's disappointing that the air filters were never checked...I changed them this week:

The amount of dirt seen in the bag (about a tablespoon) is what just fell out of the filter after carrying in the house, and laying out in the counter, "after" tapping it on the ground a few times while outside. Thankfully car is running much better, feels like a different car, and hopefully knocking is gone. It's not showing up as much since it's been colder. I'm wondering also if ECU will need a little while to recalibrate now that it's breathing better.

Not a rant, just an advisory tale if you're thinking about going the CPO route.

The following users liked this post:
allen986 (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 11:05 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 354 Posts

So, if you found all of those issues "on the showroom floor" and you weren't "...impressed at all with the speed" and during the test drive you, "...noticed an intermittent knock/ping/rattle, and hesitation on hard acceleration," what in the world made you decide to buy the car?

I really want's ta know....
The following 2 users liked this post by TMc993:
MotoJB (01-31-2020), NWOBHM (01-31-2020)
Old 12-07-2019, 11:56 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 232 Posts

I totally agree! I also had a “CPO’d” car. Had all the óptimas and color I wanted. I said, ship it to me. Asked them about paint work or dents and dings, “none” was their reply. I thought perfect! Shows up with PDR, and not the best PDR, three small dents, painted front bumper. Ugh. Of course I didn’t do a PPI. Even cars I did do a PPI on, they missed some pretty obvious things, so... unless you are there....it’s tough. I have done PPI’s for Rennlist members and given way better reports than “professional shops”.

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 12-08-2019, 12:06 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Only concern I had prior to purchase, was the debris in the intakes. Thought it strange they wouldn't have it cleaned for a car that was "on the floor". Again, I didn't notice the "intermittent" knock until after purchase...dealership is in a urban business district, with a lot of traffic lights, with no real opportunity to push, especially with traffic. The tire with the screw I may have picked up on the test drive which I pointed out to them was replaced. The sway bars were adjusted to my requested settings. When I asked if the oil was changed and services performed when cars were sold as "CPO", I was told "everything gets taken care of" by the service manager. With my old buddy handling the sale, and making sure the head mechanic (who I've spoken to on multiple occasions during the process and when the car was back in for a park brake issue) was making the final inspections, and performing the tranny replacement, I trusted the car would be straight as could be at delivery.

That's why. 🍺
Old 12-08-2019, 12:24 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RGS
I totally agree! I also had a “CPO’d” car. Had all the óptimas and color I wanted. I said, ship it to me. Asked them about paint work or dents and dings, “none” was their reply. I thought perfect! Shows up with PDR, and not the best PDR, three small dents, painted front bumper. Ugh. Of course I didn’t do a PPI. Even cars I did do a PPI on, they missed some pretty obvious things, so... unless you are there....it’s tough. I have done PPI’s for Rennlist members and given way better reports than “professional shops”.
It's not so much that the filters weren't checked prior to sale, as much as they weren't checked on the 3 subsequent service appointments, at the 2 different dealers. A long time admirer, first time Porshe buyer, no idea what to expect with CPO designation. Again, the issue was hard to replicate, and I could only do it on one ride along with a tech, but at some point I'd think they'd have been a suspected culprit.

If you were worried about paint/finish, one good suggestion I got was to always ask the salesperson to send close up pics from all angles/sections.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:26 AM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Only concern I had prior to purchase, was the debris in the intakes. Thought it strange they wouldn't have it cleaned for a car that was "on the floor". Again, I didn't notice the "intermittent" knock until after purchase...dealership is in a urban business district, with a lot of traffic lights, with no real opportunity to push, especially with traffic. The tire with the screw I may have picked up on the test drive which I pointed out to them was replaced. The sway bars were adjusted to my requested settings. When I asked if the oil was changed and services performed when cars were sold as "CPO", I was told "everything gets taken care of" by the service manager. With my old buddy handling the sale, and making sure the head mechanic (who I've spoken to on multiple occasions during the process and when the car was back in for a park brake issue) was making the final inspections, and performing the tranny replacement, I trusted the car would be straight as could be at delivery.

That's why. 🍺
Whenever I'm considering a pre-owned car that's nearby, one that I think I might truly want to buy, I request an extended, overnight at least, test drive. Too many distractions when driving urban and the first time in the car is always tough to really evaluate properly. Since its preowned the extra miles are (or should be) ignorable. And the potential problem with believing a friend is that friend is only repeating what they understand to be the situation - which may or may not be consonant with reality.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:31 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 232 Posts

I had an intermittent knock in my 997.2. Typically lower RPM with part to 3/4 throttle. I replaced the HPFP and that seemed to remedy the issue. Replaced it myself as it was out of warranty.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:49 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Fair enough...they offered a test drive, but manager wanted it kept short. I'll definitely ask for one if there is a next time. I actually had/have a deposit on a 718 GT4, but when the pricing/specs/colors were released, I started 2nd guessing. I came across this one a few days later, and it checked 95% of my boxes (would have ordered silver wheels if buying new, but liking the black w/Agate that is has more). I planned on meeting with a salesperson the following week, as a coworker had a connection through his car buying service. When I got there, they told me the contact quit over the weekend. When they offered a test drive, the person holding the door to get the car out of the showroom was the buddy of mine who I hadn't seen for 20 years, and had recently been wondering about. I took it as a "sign" 😛, since he never sold cars before, and I'm running into him under all these conditions at a dealer in an adjoining state from where I knew him and live, that I've never been to in my years of window shopping.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:33 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 259 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS
Even cars I did do a PPI on, they missed some pretty obvious things, so... unless you are there....it’s tough. I have done PPI’s for Rennlist members and given way better reports than “professional shops”.
That's cool.
If its a long distance situation and I can't be there.. an informed Forum member is the next best way to go.

Originally Posted by professsorz
Whenever I'm considering a pre-owned car that's nearby, one that I think I might truly want to buy, I request an extended, overnight at least, test drive. Too many distractions when driving urban and the first time in the car is always tough to really evaluate properly. Since its preowned the extra miles are (or should be) ignorable. And the potential problem with believing a friend is that friend is only repeating what they understand to be the situation - which may or may not be consonant with reality.
Dittos here. I cannot jump in an unknown car for a 30 minute test drive and then walk away with a sound judgement.

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Fair enough...they offered a test drive, but manager wanted it kept short. I'll definitely ask for one if there is a next time. I actually had/have a deposit on a 718 GT4, but when the pricing/specs/colors were released, I started 2nd guessing. I came across this one a few days later, and it checked 95% of my boxes (would have ordered silver wheels if buying new, but liking the black w/Agate that is has more). I planned on meeting with a salesperson the following week, as a coworker had a connection through his car buying service. When I got there, they told me the contact quit over the weekend. When they offered a test drive, the person holding the door to get the car out of the showroom was the buddy of mine who I hadn't seen for 20 years, and had recently been wondering about. I took it as a "sign" 😛, since he never sold cars before, and I'm running into him under all these conditions at a dealer in an adjoining state from where I knew him and live, that I've never been to in my years of window shopping.
Something is wonky at this dealer. Run away and find the next closest reputable Porsche dealer.
Do some research here on the Forum.

I was in a similar situation with my local dealer (Porsche of Carlsbad).
I made a private party purchase and went down to visit to say hi and get to know them and they were definitely NOT "welcoming".
After a couple of subsequent attempts to establish some kind of relationship, it became painfully obvious that they wanted nothing to do with me.
Worse than that, they were going way out of their way to make things as difficult as they possibly could.

My dealer (Porsche of Newport Beach) has earned my trust simply by
  1. honoring the letter of the CPO Warranty of my car
  2. treating me with respect as a valued customer.
Every time I've gone there, they've performed the requested warranty service (no questions asked) and didn't break anything else in the process. (so cudo's to the Service Dept.)
Also, they've taken the time to show me the best CPO deal on the lot.. or I've managed to sniff it out and then get more background info. from the sales staff.
Right now I have no reason not to trust them. My next Porsche purchase will be another CPO car thru Porsche of Newport Beach.

I guess the moral of the story is Not All Porsche Dealers are Alike.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:07 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
That's cool.
If its a long distance situation and I can't be there.. an informed Forum member is the next best way to go.

Dittos here. I cannot jump in an unknown car for a 30 minute test drive and then walk away with a sound judgement.

Something is wonky at this dealer. Run away and find the next closest reputable Porsche dealer.
Do some research here on the Forum.

I was in a similar situation with my local dealer (Porsche of Carlsbad).
I made a private party purchase and went down to visit to say hi and get to know them and they were definitely NOT "welcoming".
After a couple of subsequent attempts to establish some kind of relationship, it became painfully obvious that they wanted nothing to do with me.
Worse than that, they were going way out of their way to make things as difficult as they possibly could.

My dealer (Porsche of Newport Beach) has earned my trust simply by
  1. honoring the letter of the CPO Warranty of my car
  2. treating me with respect as a valued customer.
Every time I've gone there, they've performed the requested warranty service (no questions asked) and didn't break anything else in the process. (so cudo's to the Service Dept.)
Also, they've taken the time to show me the best CPO deal on the lot.. or I've managed to sniff it out and then get more background info. from the sales staff.
Right now I have no reason not to trust them. My next Porsche purchase will be another CPO car thru Porsche of Newport Beach.

I guess the moral of the story is Not All Porsche Dealers are Alike.
NAPDA applies to all dealers. I recall going to my local BMW dealer with intent to lease a new BMW. And I was working with a salesman I knew from long back. AND I told him that I knew the lease numbers BMWNA was offering dealers AND the legally allowable tack-on the dealers could do along with what percentage I was willing to see tacked on. (Zero was the amount). I'm very good at mental math, as a btw, being in the mathematical area my whole life. So when he came back from "upstairs" with the lease rate it took around 10 seconds after looking at his numbers to figure out that rather than applying zero mark-up they'd decided to apply the maximum. Presumably because they figured they might as well test me or something? That I was interested in "bargaining"?

I smiled, said thanks, guess I'll go elsewhere. And went elsewhere and bought exactly what I wanted for exactly what I requested.

The stories you read about car dealers are quite accurate. My approach is to be friendly, believe nothing said to me, and believe everything that's down in writing, signed by the sales manager.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:23 PM
schell
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I bought a CPO from along distance so before I went to drive and possibly purchase and drive home I inquired about these things, Tires-they said great since it only has 12,000 miles, I said it is 5.5 years old what is the date code, they said we will replace, Battery-they said tested good, I said what is the date it was installed, they said they would replace it, I also noticed all the fluid and other service that is supposed to be done was the date after I called, I bought a CPO but the only reason it was done is because they knew I was not going to let them get away with not doing all the things on the list, they did not even has a over rev until the day after I asked, it has been a great car, I feel like the price was really good, but I do not trust the dealer, they must know you will have it double checked, by the way this was Porsche of Fort Collins.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:35 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I also have dissapointing experience with buying a cpo’d Porsche (from a official porsche service centre, not a dealer). report stated clearly the car was 100% original paint. Yet half the car was resprayed....

seller had a bull**** story the repaint was done professionally and did not affect the value of the car.

in the end it was solved but if i had known i would not have bought the car.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:57 PM
Steve Whit
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My purchase

You never know what exactly your going to get.
I made the dealer jump through hoops in every possible way . I don’t think there’s a speck of info I did not get. In saying this I will take delivery this coming Wednesday 2016 GT4
10,000 klm (6000 miles) knock on wood .
keep reminding myself I do get the full 2 year warranty unlimited miles.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:10 AM
thirdageknight
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not exactly sure what type of inspection a CPO porsche goes through versus a non-CPO porsche, but I know that all reputable dealers inspect their cars (by law the car has to be in a sellable condition). Whenever a car salesman would brag about the “rigorous” inspection that their CPO car went through I always ask “you inspect all your cars, why did you inspect this one more rigorously and not the others”, then they just shut up. From what I understand, they are just selling your a warranty and Porsche only backs cars that uses porsche parts.

I had one dealer who was selling a CPO Porsche which had body damage, interior damage, and only came with 1 key. It was the ugliest Porsche I have seen and they tried telling me it was in normal used car condition... It was this experience that made me realize that a CPO car was just a used car + warranty.
Steve Whit (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 07:51 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 126 Posts

Some dealers GOOD, some BAD....but I always "assumed" that a CPO car was 100% checked and EVERY ITEM ON THE LIST THAT DID NOT MEET THE MINIMUM STANDARD WAS REPLACED OR REPAIRED.
My only CPO'd 911 was an 06 997 S cab that I bought from THE COLLECTION...(at 4 years old) very few thing needed CPO warranty, and were fixed by CHAMPION PORSCHE in Pompano Beach FL
Steve Whit (01-31-2020)

Quick Reply: Just because it's "CPO"...