Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster 987 Chassis Stiffening

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 05:44 PM
jesseleeweaver
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Boxster 987 Chassis Stiffening

So I felt very creative, and well I am pretty bad at it so practice, practice, practice. I'm sure I will have both sides of the comments. good and bad, maybe just bad. Let me know. It has 97k miles, and lots of goodies. Love the car.

Anyway, I saw the elephant racing chasis brace for the 986, nothing for 987 so I decided to fab it up myself. I did the frunk, trunk, and rear strut bar...

Each rod used a m12 1.75 30mm bolt, nut, and washer. The front needs some cutting of the carpet, and the plastic trim if you want to keep it. I'm still working on putting some back together. The rods are from a civic C-pillar bar. I did get two lower things free so I added it below the x-brace. kind've tacky.
Included in the first photo is the racing dynamics upper strut bar. Don't worry, I have the lower rennline one to match, the one with tow hooks

The trunk was similar to the frunk, but this was a 90-02 honda upper strut bar (front or rear) The solid one without a curve.
Same cutting involved and etc. Honestly, I just wanted to match the frunk. It should help stiffening up the car... Let me know.

The rear strut bar.. Ohh this naughty girl was rough on Paul (my porsche's name), and honestly after it needs some revisions. I got the racing dynamics brace for the 996 or something. The only one on their site. Grinded down the brackets so it would fit the tower. Lots of fun. Have to create a 1/2 extension bracket for the upper connection of the bar. This took awhile. Everything fit it perfect. The top comes down without interference. It is pretty solid.

Test drive. Ohh common, I haven't driven it to notice much.

I have other fun mods to the car. But this was my week long creativity.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:01 PM
57staff
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've never been convinced our 987s needed much chassis stiffening. The only thing I have done is added a Pedros bar in the rear.
The following users liked this post:
Van Larson (11-24-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:11 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Another option you not have been aware of. Pretty simple install if the car has the holes in the strut towers, as mine did.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...or-987s-2.html

Frankly, I wish one could just option a body-in-white, seam-welded version of any of the P-cars. Would make for a great starting point for a track build.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:21 PM
jesseleeweaver
Rennlist Member

our cars handle so well. I just but the bug to slowly doing tracksays. the upper front brace this I have seen. I'm going to see Porsche about ordering it because i didn't see the bolt up for my 987. However, the car takes turns even better now. thanks for the input
Old 07-27-2019, 10:24 AM
jesseleeweaver
Rennlist Member

Dave in Chicago,
I went to my Porsche dealership and talked with John our race tech. That upper brace mod the 997s have will not fit my 987. None of the mounts are on it. However, he said the upper strut bar should be fine for what I am doing. In addition, if I wanted a fun project, he said do it when it gets cooler. It will be a challenging task to add for my car.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:46 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Copy. Seems many cars have the screw holes in the strut towers and the "console" already in place per the thread, like mine. Curious why some do and some don't.

Cheers!
Old 07-27-2019, 10:58 AM
jesseleeweaver
Rennlist Member

If you find out, please let me know. Sounds like I would have to do some modifications to my car. Sounds fun, but not right now
Old 07-27-2019, 12:04 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I just installed this strut brace last night, taking it for a drive this morning... https://www.racdyn-usa.com/PROD/997+99+00+010.html

Really easy job, it is on sale for $165.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:30 AM
flatsixmik
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like a few on here I want to increase the chassis rigidity on my 987 Spyder

I'm going to install the

- 997 braces above
- Rear underbody brace from rennline

I've searched high and low and can't find a brace for the underbody for the front - Has anyone ever found one?

Also is there a rear strut brace that can be used whilst stowing the soft top?

Many thanks

Mike
Old 11-24-2019, 11:16 AM
jesseleeweaver
Rennlist Member

@Mike it is going to be hard for the rear upper strut brace. I fabricated one, which wasn't too h as rd with a grinder.

As for the front lower. I installed the gt3 front sway bar with RSS end links. Pretty solid.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:25 PM
flatsixmik
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jesseleeweaver
@Mike it is going to be hard for the rear upper strut brace. I fabricated one, which wasn't too h as rd with a grinder.

As for the front lower. I installed the gt3 front sway bar with RSS end links. Pretty solid.
Thanks for the reply. I'm really happy with the handling - it's just the chassis flex that I want to dial out. Did you notice any benefit in this regard with the front sway bars?
Old 12-03-2019, 08:26 AM
jesseleeweaver
Rennlist Member

One other thing to note, I installed SPL links for the rear but they kept breaking under load. I even had Porsche install and they broke. I just ordered the RSS ones, which should be perfect.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:29 AM
jesseleeweaver
Rennlist Member

The front strut bar, vogltand springs, and the gt3 lower sway really made a change. The rear, couldn't tell a difference.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:24 AM
flatsixmik
Cruisin'

Thanks - Did you go for the rennline strut? Did you refit the plastic cowls?
Old 12-03-2019, 09:32 AM
jesseleeweaver
Rennlist Member

I did get the rennline stabilizer, didn't have to do much there.

Quick Reply: Boxster 987 Chassis Stiffening