Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a great car to "augment" a 981?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 07:54 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts
Default What's a great car to "augment" a 981?

I bought my 981 Boxster GTS about a year and a half ago with the full intent of using it as a daily driver. It's fit that role nearly perfectly, and I'm not suggesting I'm in a position where I feel "forced" to seek an alternative daily driver; I've just grown to the point of recognizing that a 2-seater, manual rear wheel drive sports car isn't a perfect car suited to all situations. What helped in this discovery is that my oldest son just reached driving age and I bought him a 2016 Mazda 3 that I pretty much drove all winter while my Boxster stayed cozy in the garage.

So now as my son will need to use the car for what I bought it for, I'm actively looking for a 2nd car to fit neatly into the role of comfortable cruiser that I can also enjoy driving. The bar that I have at the moment was the 2015 M4 that I traded in for the Boxster. That's just a bit out of my projected price range but to me it was nearly perfect for fitting that bill of being a comfortable, great-looking car I looked just as forward to commuting in as I did in taking it to a DE.

Thing is, I didn't drive the M4 in the winter either. I'm thinking something with all wheel drive is a necessity.

While the obvious choice would be a 991.2 C4S or GTS, that's not in the cards right now. My wife also has a Macan but that's hers, I can't rely on being able to use it every time I want/need to.

The Audi S4 or S5 is STRONGLY leading the charge at the moment. I can get a solid B8.5 (~2013-2016) for $20-35k. I'm struggling to find a better bargain for that for the role I want to use the car for. I also am strongly considering spending a few extra K to get into an RS5 as well- the prices have dropped considerably to where you can find a tolerable one for $35-40k but it'll be a couple years older than a similarly priced S4. I'm not quite sure I need to justify all the extra-ness of the RS5 though when I have the Boxster as my true "fun/track" car.

Anyway, figured it would make for interesting conversation so I'm curious to get others' insight on here.

Last edited by manifold danger; 07-21-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:10 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Get a 981 Cayman S in a different color from the Boxster GTS. Done.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:18 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Used BMW M235i xDrive? I used to have an M240i (traded it this year) and it was a great car. Somewhat numb steering feel, but very quick, fun to toss around back roads, good in winter, usable rear seats, good size trunk that gets even bigger when you fold the seats.

Less practical option: 996 Carrera 4 (the later C4S is more expensive and has a higher risk of IMS and bore scoring issues). A decent coupe should be obtainable for around $20k USD. Ones from year 2000 and earlier should have dual row IMS and lower risk of bore scoring. It’ll handle better than the M240i and have better steering, but be slower in a straight line and have much less practical capacity to carry cargo or passengers.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:06 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by okie981
Get a 981 Cayman S in a different color from the Boxster GTS. Done.
Originally Posted by manifold danger
All wheel drive is a necessity
Also a rear seat would be nice, and a bit out of range of what I want to spend. Otherwise great suggestion.

Originally Posted by wizee
Used BMW M235i xDrive? I used to have an M240i (traded it this year) and it was a great car. Somewhat numb steering feel, but very quick, fun to toss around back roads, good in winter, usable rear seats, good size trunk that gets even bigger when you fold the seats.

Less practical option: 996 Carrera 4 (the later C4S is more expensive and has a higher risk of IMS and bore scoring issues). A decent coupe should be obtainable for around $20k USD. Ones from year 2000 and earlier should have dual row IMS and lower risk of bore scoring. It’ll handle better than the M240i and have better steering, but be slower in a straight line and have much less practical capacity to carry cargo or passengers.
I considered an M235i, and it's a legitimate option. For me personally though, the 2 series doesn't appeal to me the same as a comparable Audi. I know this will come off as pretentious, but after coming from an M4, I sincerely feel like anything BMW short of an M car is an imitation. I would absolutely consider an M2 just on the grounds of how amazing it is to drive... but it wouldn't be a great fit and they're still fetching $40k+ used. $35k is the absolute top of what I want to spend at the moment.

I should retitle this thread to "Audi S4 is the best car to augment a 981- change my mind."

The 996 suggestion got me thinking HARD though... but that interior is just too dated. Here's a car that got me excited until I saw a shot of the interior: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight
Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

An S4 or RS3 are great options and yeah, if you don't need the extra power and room of the RS5, you can save some Benjamins.

I had a B8 S4 which served me well, and even though I didn't need the AWD in LA, launches and on-ramps were fun.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:28 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I'm thinking something with all wheel drive is a necessity.
Don't overthink it, just get any comfy, reliable, automatic, AWD appliance, preferably a CPO. They'll all feel pretty much the same compared to the Boxster anyway. I have a 4cyl turbo 528i xdrive mule and loving it for what it is. Now pushing 90k+ miles with zero problems.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:10 AM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 86 Posts

GTI or Golf R with 4-doors and DSG. Perfect, fun daily drivers. Plenty fast for the street. Also relatively cheap to mod since we car people tend to do that.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:53 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

My setup is a Boxster GTS and a Cayenne Turbo S, but you've already got a SUV in your household with the wife's Macan.

Have you looked at a late model used Audi RS7? Those look great to me (love the way Audi does interiors) and the engine/tranny makes me drool. Four doors + rear hatch makes for a practical supercar. Could probably pick up a 2015 for about half the MSRP.

I'd also look into a Tesla or Audi e-Tron if it's more of an around town daily driver.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:32 PM
57staff
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Mercedes AMG SL55 to go with my 987 Boxster. The SL is a great GT cruiser that is perfect for those long trips where you want to go quick and arrive in style. The Boxster is just too tightly strung for those long trips. I've taken the Boxster on long trips before (13 hour drive from LA to Boise) but man my butt is tired by the end.

The SL is perfect in that role with the big V8 and the hydro pneumatic suspension. I've taken it in the canyons and it works ok but not like the Boxster. Plus, I can carry two sets of golf clubs and a weekend's worth of luggage in the SL.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:32 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts

Stage 2 B8.5 S4 was the complimentary car to my Cayman up until a few months ago. I then sold the S4 and picked up an E92 M3 comp to go with the Porsche. If you need all weather performance, the S4 is hard to beat. Stupid power with a pulley and tune but the M3 just has an exotic power plant with the S65 NA V8. Can’t go wrong with either and both compliment the Cayman very well.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:36 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 850tgul
Stage 2 B8.5 S4 was the complimentary car to my Cayman up until a few months ago. I then sold the S4 and picked up an E92 M3 comp to go with the Porsche. If you need all weather performance, the S4 is hard to beat. Stupid power with a pulley and tune but the M3 just has an exotic power plant with the S65 NA V8. Can’t go wrong with either and both compliment the Cayman very well.
Actually an E46 M3 was the car I'd always kind of set my sights on as a complimentary car to the Boxster- but as time went on I realized I need more of a winter-capable car than what an M3 could provide. The reality is I'd probably end up using an E46 or E92 for track duty and my Boxster would be the top down weekend fun car when I wasn't doing track stuff... and then still have the problem of not having a GT-type car for long trips or sitting in traffic, and still stuck driving something RWD and forced to switch tires in winter. So I then moved to considering an RS4, but those are pretty much out of the question at this point. They're just too old for the money they're fetching (typically above $25k for high miles and as much as $55k for low miles). I feel like I need more modern amenities than I can get in an '07-'09. The same unfortunately holds true for the E46/E92- they would be more toys than practicality for me.

I'd even consider re-entering the STI world, but they're at the exact same price point as a B8.5 S4! And they ride terribly on bad roads.

I'm still firmly planted on the rails leading to buying a "newer" Audi.

On that note, I drove an RS5 today. While this particular car is pretty much compromised to the point where I'd never actually consider buying it, I was completely enamored with the way it drove. That engine note does not get old, and it met every other criteria I could ask for. If only the car hadn't been almost completely ruined by its previous owner(s), it may have ended up in my driveway right now.

Now I need to drive an S4. I could get a certified S4, ~2016 MY for around what I'd pay for a 2013 MY RS5 with similar miles (~$35k). I'd prefer an S4 over an S5 just for the extra doors, but willing to compromise for the right car and right deal. The problem now is just finding one with the sport differential, which I've pretty much deemed a necessary option (along with B&O sound system and *gasp* DSG transmission).

I should probably head over the Audi forums at this point if I'm being honest... I've already got my 981 and that isn't changing ANY time soon.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:56 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by monochrom3
GTI or Golf R with 4-doors and DSG. Perfect, fun daily drivers. Plenty fast for the street. Also relatively cheap to mod since we car people tend to do that.
Yes. My son has a late model GTI and it is a real hoot and very practical. A Golf R would be even hootier.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:58 PM
EBruce
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Old 07-19-2019, 11:23 PM
sajakh
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a Tesla 3 performance. . .
Old 07-20-2019, 08:52 AM
nr981
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for a VW GTI or Type R. Great cars, not super expensive, fun to drive and totally practical.

Quick Reply: What's a great car to "augment" a 981?