Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Intake Paint pitting

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 01:33 PM
fmanley2
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Air Intake Paint pitting

I have had my 2014 Boxster S for about 2 months. I have noticed the paint around the main air intakes (behind the doors) has been pitted by road particulates being kicked up during regular driving. Have you other owners noticed this degradation as well? If so, what tips can you provide to either minimize, treat, protect, or otherwise mitigate this continuing damage? Thanks for any tips.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:41 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 356 Likes on 224 Posts

I have the same issue with my GT Silver 2014 Cayman S. I use touch up paint to keep up with it. I imagine you could clear bra the area after some paint correction.

RGS
www.radiatorgrillstore.com
Old 07-17-2019, 02:21 PM
fmanley2
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input. I am concerned that any professional overspray of the these areas will be considered as formal paintwork and could lower the intrinsic value of the car. I am wondering if your approach may be the way to go. Perhaps some minor hand compounding followed by touch-up?
Old 07-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by fmanley2
Thanks for your input. I am concerned that any professional overspray of the these areas will be considered as formal paintwork and could lower the intrinsic value of the car. I am wondering if your approach may be the way to go. Perhaps some minor hand compounding followed by touch-up?
As long as you go to a reputable body shop for the repair, there should not be any issues with the long term value of the car. Unless you have this professionally repaired, then new paint protection film applied to help prevent it in the future, the issues will continue to occur and the resale value of the car WILL be affected because of the unsightly look of the peppering.

A professional repair is going to look MUCH better than trying to use touch-up paint yourself. Add paint protection film into the equation, and you could feasibly add to the overall value of the car.
HRE Wheels . Vossen Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 07-17-2019, 03:51 PM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts

When my car was new and had film installed on the front clip, the installer talked me into installing film on the rocker panels, around the air intakes and behind the rear wheels as this area takes a lot of punishment. I am really glad this was done.
The following users liked this post:
Esoteric_Detail (07-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Air Intake Paint pitting