Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   987 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum-125/)
-   -   GT3 LCAs or adjustable camber plates for -camber? (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/1151523-gt3-lcas-or-adjustable-camber-plates-for-camber.html)

johnwb 07-09-2019 07:51 PM

GT3 LCAs or adjustable camber plates for -camber?

I'm new to the Cayman (981S) platform for DE use.
I'd like to get to -2 or -2.5 camber up front.
What's the best way to go on these cars?
Thanks.

Pep!RRRR 07-10-2019 08:33 AM

You can get the camber you want with camber plates. MUCH cheaper option than LCAs. I have Tarett plates on my 981 Cayman giving 2.3 degrees negative camber all around. Excellent for track use (my main use.)

ALE 07-10-2019 11:28 AM

Depending on your setup, you may also need caster adjustment. If that's the case, the Tarett cup arms are a solid choice. Be sure to check with your tech.

993Guy 07-14-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR (Post 15963263)
You can get the camber you want with camber plates. MUCH cheaper option than LCAs. I have Tarett plates on my 981 Cayman giving 2.3 degrees negative camber all around. Excellent for track use (my main use.)

Just installed the Tarett plates as well. Front is maxed out at -2.3. If your good with that, plates are fine.

f4 plt 07-15-2019 05:25 AM

Both will allow you to increase your negative camber however they do it in different ways. The simple answer. Camber plates pull the top of the strut in and thus increase camber while lower control arms essentially push the lower portion of the strut out not only increasing your negative camber but slightly widening your track. I went with GT3 lower control arms on mat 987 Spyder and am very satisfied with the result

85Gold 07-15-2019 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by f4 plt (Post 15973776)
Both will allow you to increase your negative camber however they do it in different ways. The simple answer. Camber plates pull the top of the strut in and thus increase camber while lower control arms essentially push the lower portion of the strut out not only increasing your negative camber but slightly widening your track. I went with GT3 lower control arms on mat 987 Spyder and am very satisfied with the result

And I went with Camber Plates on my 987.2 CS TT car. They tuck the top of the tire in a little more and as a bonus cost less. Ideally you would use both LCA’s for gross camber adj and fine tune with camber plates.

Peter

Pep!RRRR 07-15-2019 05:47 PM

You can always use spacers to increase track. My car has -2.3 all around with spacers and camber plates. I find that this gives good even wear with R-compound tires. To run Hoosiers or other slicks you need additional negative camber.

PorscheAddict 07-15-2019 06:52 PM

A lot of that is going to depend on driving style and tire choice too. I'm at -3.0 front and still wearing the outsides more than insides on track with RE71 at 35 PSI hot. You can raise pressure, lower total grip, and lower wear, or you can raise neg camber. LCA's are better, but more expensive. LCA allows replacement of the rubber bushes with spherical components too, which is great.

f4 plt 07-15-2019 07:15 PM

Mine is a 2012 Spyder set up for auto X more than track and I run 1.6 front and 2.0 rear which gives great turn-in and yet is excellent on the street for long drives. I currently have Brodgesone R 71 on the car and they handle great. The bottom line unless you do something the most negative you can get up front on the stock suspension is around .8 which is not enough. I agree with Hooziers 2++ is recommended

Apex1 07-18-2019 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by johnwb (Post 15962354)
Thanks.

I agree that Tarett Cup LCA's certainly provide a number of benefits, camber to -3.0 f and r, increased track width, more accurate turnin due to the solid monoball inner/outer bearings, a solid thurst puck which tunes caster, wheelbase and lighter weight. The only issue is NVH from this setup if used a lot on the street simply because of no rubber insulation to cushion suspension shock. A GT3 LCA setup would work better in that setting, yet still give you up to -3.0 camber with rubber inner, outer bearing and the thrust puck is rubber insulated. Camber plates with monoball bearing due cause much more NVH after a few thousand miles.

The tire wear is actually more about the outer shoulder than the inner shoulder with moderate track useage, even with -2.7 camber f and -2.5 in the rear. So I would not be too concerned about the inner wear from camber.

Tom@TPC Racing 07-18-2019 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by johnwb (Post 15962354)
Thanks.

Its not a simple answer.
The least costly way to achieve target camber angle is camber plates.
If you want more front grip, then LCA's to increase track width. Some LCA's have caster adjustment as well to tune the car's wheelbase length.
If cost isn't a concern, do both, then you can tune track width, caster, wheelbase, and roll center.

johnwb 07-18-2019 03:49 PM

Thanks for the input from all of you.
Decided to go with GT3 LCAs.
As Tom just mentioned, this allows caster adjustment.

Next will be the DSC module from Tom's company.

okie981 07-18-2019 10:53 PM

I run GT3 LCAs on the front of my BS, -2.5 camber, happy with results, I have even front tire wear with 36 psi hot. The car has X73 suspension. I run RE71R tires on OEM 19" wheels and also run 19" Forgelines with 9"/10.5", 255/285 F/R with RE71R. I had the GT3 LCA caster pucks set to give more caster. The balance when running the Forgelines is sublime. I have stock parts on the rear maxed out to -2.25 camber.

snakaberg 08-30-2019 07:34 PM

I've been researching the same thing for my 2018 Cayman S. I'm leaning heavily toward the GT3 LCAs as well. My last question/concern is about wheel size: I have the 20" OEM wheels and I want to make sure the GT3 LCA solution will not create any wheel / wheel well / steering clearance issues. Is anyone already running 20" wheels with GT3 LCAs or can otherwise confirm (or even theorize :) there won't be clearance issues?

Also, thank you to the OP for the question and to all the responders for the great info on this topic.

johnwb 08-31-2019 02:49 PM

I now have GT3 LCAs on my 2014 981 CS with 20" OEM wheels and all is good.
No issues.