Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 BGTS supply

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Default 981 BGTS supply

quick scan of the usual sources shows much fewer for sale than last year when i bought mine.
zero in latest pano and maybe 6 at cpo site.
ask prices holding too. hmm.
i thought the new spyder with a 6 might shake a few out but that's maybe it's own market.
not expecting a windfall but pleased that like minded buyers are holding on to these babies.
i don't see a new boxster six coming as it would destroy 718/4 sales and maybe even eat into spyder/gt.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:03 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Am one of those holding onto my 981 BGTS but thinking about a Spyder. Ordered BGTS new with all the options I wanted, can't do that with a Spyder, not yet. Have had first allocation for 982 Spyder at local pcar dealer for over 2 years but pretty certain am going to pass until PDK is available. Not just lack of PDK, also not happy with the general lack of other 982 options. Nothing available except alcantara seat centers which leads to no ventilated seats, and I like ventilated seats. Have seen the black / chalk interior (option BW) in person on a new 982 boxster and like it, not available on Spyder. Lane change assist not available, have this on my Macan and love it, great safety feature. Lack of special colors, specifically lizard green. Miami Blue is the worst blue Porsche makes, effeminate compared to other blues. Voodoo / dbm / sapphire / Riviera / Mexico all are legions better than Miami. Am not the only one who thinks this way, Miami languishes forever on lots in the Midwest. So I look at 992s. Turbo lag … useless back seats … meh. When you used to order a Carrera S, the S actually stood for Sport and included all the Sport options, PASM, PSE, Sport and Sport Plus, bigger brakes, wheels, better suspension, more HP, worth the 10K difference. Now the S model is more of a stripper ... a base model with the horsepower screwdriver twisted 1/4 turn. Porsche figured out they can take all those S options and create a Sport Package and charge another 6K over the S price. Makes GTS models the new S, at another price level of course. Premium Package Plus included lots more goodies in the past, no longer the case and I'm spoiled with entry and drive. Porsche dropped too much money into the 4.0 for it not to be used in other applications, it will migrate throughout the 982/992 lineup in one form or another. With race headers / protune flash / PDK / PTV / launch control my 3.4 shrieks and will probably beat the new Spyder in the quarter. New Spyder is not worth 35-40K more than my BGTS. Might change my mind when PDK is available or the Spyder / 718 4.0 S / GTS / R / RS/ Touring / Turbo model is released. Might not, pretty happy with my BGTS.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:19 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Might not, pretty happy with my BGTS.
The Spyder does seem to be truly in a market of its own. Now that it's essentially the same car as a GT4 with a removable top, it will cater more to hardcore enthusiasts that maybe only drive it on perfect days or weekends- but perhaps not the track rats, who would mostly choose the GT4 over the Spyder for that purpose.

I've said for a while that the 981 GTS is pretty much the perfect blend of every day livability and enthusiast performance.

That said, my car might end up for sale sometime in the near future as I am deeply considering a 991.2 at the moment.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:16 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

i was inspired to buy my particular 981 bgts after sone time in europe with a 991.2 gts cab.
enjoyed it greatly and for a bigger car it held its own in the twisties. back in the states didn't feel the need to pay up for one and the 6NA music of the 981 did the trick. i like the 2 boots and don't need a rear seat anymore.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:42 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by jago
... and don't need a rear seat anymore...
lol. How many folks really NEED the rear seat of a 991?
Old 07-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
lol. How many folks really NEED the rear seat of a 991?
How many can actually FIT in one!!
Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I was considering selling my 15 BGTS for a GT4 since I need a second track car and the BGTS just doesn't work for me. I am torn it is one of the best modern Porsche's IMO and closest feel to my older air-cooled 911's. I was never an open car guy but they are a blast on a nice day. Drove it 4 hours to the Glen a few weeks back for the IMSA race. Was a very enjoyable drive. I would miss the open air feeling but if I find a GT4 for reasonable money (lol) I might let it go. Although with 20k miles I am assuming I wouldn't get close to what I paid.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

i put over 5k on mine in less than a year.
500 mile fly n drive nc/ny at purchase and ny/fla round trip with 2 months bopping around down there.
no regrets, the long rides have been a blast.
i do still have a 993 targa tippy that's a great unique ride but honestly not as fun or rewarding for me as the 981 at this time.
i've moved on to the 21st century lol.

Quick Reply: 981 BGTS supply