Notices

New 981 forum member

 
Old 07-09-2019, 12:32 AM
  #1  
MotoJB
User
Thread Starter
 
MotoJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NorCal Bay Area
Posts: 660
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New 981 forum member

Hi all.

4 year 996tt owner and now 981 Boxster S owner.

Bought the car for my wife. She wanted a Merc SL roadster...but it had to be white with red. I convinced her to go Boxster instead and added this gem to the stable this weekend!

2013 S with 4k miles. Time capsule. 100% clean and as perfect as can be. What a find. Drove it home from SoCal and was thoroughly impressed by this machine.

I will call it my wife's car but rest assured I'm going to enjoy driving this thing anytime I can myself!

Only mods are FVD Brombacher sport exhaust. I may run their filters/tune as well.

Anyhow, looking forward to learning/sharing in a new group.

Cheers all.







Last edited by MotoJB; 07-10-2019 at 02:16 PM.
MotoJB is online now  
Old 07-09-2019, 01:08 AM
  #2  
DFW01TT
User
 
DFW01TT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 141
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Welcome MotoJB, that's a nicely modded 996TT, Sharkwerks rocks.
How does the steering precision of the 996 compare to your wife's new car?
The 996TT was my first Porsche.
DFW01TT is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 01:36 AM
  #3  
MotoJB
User
Thread Starter
 
MotoJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NorCal Bay Area
Posts: 660
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DFW01TT View Post
Welcome MotoJB, that's a nicely modded 996TT, Sharkwerks rocks.
How does the steering precision of the 996 compare to your wife's new car?
The 996TT was my first Porsche.
Thanks!

Yeah, it's a "700hp" 100 octane build, it's fun in it's own way.

Forgive me, I'm not that technical...

Steering feel on my 01 996tt with a PSS10, eibach and RSS suspension setup, vs the 2013 981 is very different. I guess in haste and still with little 981 seat time, I'd describe the 996tt steering as "more precise" but also more sensitive and "less forgiving" than the 981. I know I could lap a track faster in the 996, but my impression is it would also be a more intense and engaging experience, doing the same turns at speed in the 996tt.

The newer 981 also just feels more refined and more stable/sure footed at speed than does the 996tt.
MotoJB is online now  
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 01:42 AM
  #4  
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member
 
alex911s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Ramon, CA.
Posts: 1,879
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Nice Josh!! welcome ! not as powerful as our TT's but very fun and capable!!
alex911s is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 01:45 AM
  #5  
DFW01TT
User
 
DFW01TT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 141
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I agree with your comments, despite my 996 not being modded, the 981 BS chassis is just a little too torsionally soft.
As to the Moto part, I talked to a moto instructor who rides a Ducati, he hits 206 on the COTA T11 to T12 straight, while my 981 BS hits 144.
I have high regard for people skilled enough to do that. (Truth be told, I highly respect anyone on 2 wheels, who can match my time on 4 wheels with 100x the safety on my side.)
DFW01TT is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 09:33 PM
  #6  
MotoJB
User
Thread Starter
 
MotoJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NorCal Bay Area
Posts: 660
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alex911s View Post
Nice Josh!! welcome ! not as powerful as our TT's but very fun and capable!!

Agreed Alex!

It's a very fun car to drive.

I see you have a white 996tt and live in San Ramon as well???

I haven't seen another white 996tt around San Ramon. I thought I was the only one...
MotoJB is online now  
Old 07-09-2019, 09:44 PM
  #7  
MotoJB
User
Thread Starter
 
MotoJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NorCal Bay Area
Posts: 660
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DFW01TT View Post
I agree with your comments, despite my 996 not being modded, the 981 BS chassis is just a little too torsionally soft.
As to the Moto part, I talked to a moto instructor who rides a Ducati, he hits 206 on the COTA T11 to T12 straight, while my 981 BS hits 144.
I have high regard for people skilled enough to do that. (Truth be told, I highly respect anyone on 2 wheels, who can match my time on 4 wheels with 100x the safety on my side.)

I'd be very curious to know what Ducati he's on. I know the COTA has a long time in 6th gear, full throttle but most "off the shelf' bikes can't do that. Only the insanely expensive, supercharged Kawi H2's can hit that top speed. He must straddling a built race motor to hit those speeds on a Ducati.

I haven't been past 185mph myself. There are very few tracks where you can hit that.

Anyhow, I'm living vicariously through my old 2008 profile picture. I gave up my 2 wheel habit, in favor of a more responsible and hopefully longer remaining lifespan.

The fact that I got married, applied the wedding weight and could no longer comfortably fit into my leathers also helped the decision. LOL
MotoJB is online now  
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:29 PM
  #8  
Suicide Jockey
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Suicide Jockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,885
Likes: 0
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Welcome to the forum. Your wife has great taste in colors. Hate to see this one leave So Cal as red tops are rare, although I predict there will be quite a few takers on the 982 Spyder. Enjoy “your wife’s car!”
Suicide Jockey is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:18 AM
  #9  
Laszlo_Laz
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Gorgeous BS. Great find. The BS especially the 981 is the car to have. It’s perfect.
Laszlo_Laz is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:39 PM
  #10  
MotoJB
User
Thread Starter
 
MotoJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NorCal Bay Area
Posts: 660
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey View Post
Welcome to the forum. Your wife has great taste in colors. Hate to see this one leave So Cal as red tops are rare, although I predict there will be quite a few takers on the 982 Spyder. Enjoy “your wife’s car!”

Thanks, I agree...it's a pretty color combo. I would prefer a black top myself but I can live with it!

BTW, I also took my 996tt unicorn from SoCal as well. Hey, you have enough nice cars down there already.

Thank you!
MotoJB is online now  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:40 PM
  #11  
MotoJB
User
Thread Starter
 
MotoJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NorCal Bay Area
Posts: 660
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz View Post
Gorgeous BS. Great find. The BS especially the 981 is the car to have. It’s perfect.
Thanks, yeah, I'd say it's pretty close. Another 100hp and it would be perfect IMO.
MotoJB is online now  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:44 PM
  #12  
sasilverbullet
User
 
sasilverbullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,647
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Am I the one that has to do it? Okay, It's BOXSTER, not Boxter...
sasilverbullet is offline  
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 02:19 PM
  #13  
MotoJB
User
Thread Starter
 
MotoJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NorCal Bay Area
Posts: 660
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet View Post
Am I the one that has to do it? Okay, It's BOXSTER, not Boxter...

Ha ha, thanks. Good catch. Fixed it. I know the spelling in my head...my fingers kept typing Boxter.

Kind of like the natural tendency to want to type Metzger, instead of Mezger.
MotoJB is online now  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:24 PM
  #14  
MotoJB
User
Thread Starter
 
MotoJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NorCal Bay Area
Posts: 660
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alex911s View Post
Nice Josh!! welcome ! not as powerful as our TT's but very fun and capable!!


Hey Alex, didn't put 2 + 2 together...first that you knew my name.

You have a BoxSter as well?
MotoJB is online now  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:36 PM
  #15  
professsorz
User
 
professsorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 219
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MotoJB View Post
Hi all.

4 year 996tt owner and now 981 Boxster S owner.

Bought the car for my wife. She wanted a Merc SL roadster...but it had to be white with red. I convinced her to go Boxster instead and added this gem to the stable this weekend!

2013 S with 4k miles. Time capsule. 100% clean and as perfect as can be. What a find. Drove it home from SoCal and was thoroughly impressed by this machine.

I will call it my wife's car but rest assured I'm going to enjoy driving this thing anytime I can myself!

Only mods are FVD Brombacher sport exhaust. I may run their filters/tune as well.

Anyhow, looking forward to learning/sharing in a new group.

Cheers all.






Beautiful!
professsorz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: