Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 Spyder - a new owner’s perspective.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 05:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Undid the three fasteners and tried to slide the side panel out. It kept on hanging at the top. It probably just required a bit more force to free it up but I wasn't game to break something so I put it back together.
Attached Images    
Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Congrats on the new Spyder! How does it compare with the 986 Boxster on your backroads? Be honest...
Old 07-16-2019, 10:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Congrats on the new Spyder! How does it compare with the 986 Boxster on your backroads? Be honest...
Haha. Boxing me into a corner (pun intended).

I have yet to take the Spyder out on the back roads but I had a few longish back road adventures in my R and they feel very similar.

To be honest the R brought out a slightly distasteful side to my road driving behaviour. In one particularly winding run, a 991 GT3 couldn't shake me off. The speeds we went were in hindsight unsafe. I sold the car soon after. I didn't want to be 'that guy'.

The 986 is a 2.5 litre manual. It's a heck of a lot of fun and I have to work hard to keep up with others in the group. It's a car my wife will happily come for back road trips in as it's a good handler while being quiet and comfortable. It was supposed to be a Spec Boxster race car, but the field didn't look like filling up and I found out at 6'4" that I'm too big to fit with a roll cage in it. I use it in time trials, which don't require a cage. I get no respect in it. In fact on one trip a tradesman shouted from his van, "you are driving a lady car".

The Spyder will be a compromise. I'll take it on trips where I know I can focus. I will pick my moments. I don't expect it to be a good cruiser.

Is that what you expected?

BTW Four of these cars are ex UK, including the RS60 Spyder.
Attached Images   

Last edited by John McM; 07-16-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:59 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Haha. Boxing me into a corner (pun intended).

I have yet to take the Spyder out on the back roads but I had a few longish back road adventures in my R and they feel very similar.

To be honest the R brought out a slightly distasteful side to my road driving behaviour. In one particularly winding run, a 991 GT3 couldn't shake me off. The speeds we went were in hindsight unsafe. I sold the car soon after. I didn't want to be 'that guy'.

The 986 is a 2.5 litre manual. It's a heck of a lot of fun and I have to work hard to keep up with others in the group. It's a car my wife will happily come for back road trips in as it's a good handler while being quiet and comfortable. It was supposed to be a Spec Boxster race car, but the field didn't look like filling up and I found out at 6'4" that I'm too big to fit with a roll cage in it. I use it in time trials, which don't require a cage.

The Spyder will be a compromise. I'll take it on trips where I know I can focus. I will pick my moments. I don't expect it to be a good cruiser.

Is that what you expected?

Expected something along those lines though I wouldn’t call your 986 or my 987 “cruisers”. I have a 996 GT3 and I understand your comments about the R on backroads. The 6gt3 is low, hard, raw, powerful, visceral and is only taken in small dozes with a sweaty-palms focus. My 987 S has the perfect balance of nimbleness, feel, and (PASM changeable) softness for my often far from perfect backroads. I drive it all the time — just put on sneakers, put on the Boxster (like a jacket), and go. The fact that it’s (relatively) underpowered, which allows for wringing out that pre-DFI goodness more often, comes as the cherry on the cake. Btw, who needs power when you rarely brake and just fly through the corners anyway. Depending on road roughness, I’m not even sure that the 6gt3 could keep up with the less powerful but more pliable Boxster on many road segments.

Anyway, not to digress from your Spyder thread too much, nice chatting and congrats again! Oh, and nice pics!
Old 07-17-2019, 06:13 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM

Great time to import a RHD UK car with the pound being so weak
Old 07-17-2019, 03:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
Great time to import a RHD UK car with the pound being so weak
In hindsight I pulled the trigger a little early. If it falls dramatically I’ll be looking for anything interesting on the market.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

John to remove the side panels on the interior you need to get both your hands on the back of the trim piece and use equal force to pull them out. You pull them towards the shifter and you have to pull pretty hard. If you don’t pull with equal force you will brake one of the tabs.

I’m looking forward to hearing your impressions after you get out on an extended drive. The beauty of the Spyder is that removing the top provides a much greater feeling of speed as compared to an enclosed car. That should add a great deal of enjoyment to the driving experience.
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
John to remove the side panels on the interior you need to get both your hands on the back of the trim piece and use equal force to pull them out. You pull them towards the shifter and you have to pull pretty hard. If you don’t pull with equal force you will brake one of the tabs.

I’m looking forward to hearing your impressions after you get out on an extended drive. The beauty of the Spyder is that removing the top provides a much greater feeling of speed as compared to an enclosed car. That should add a great deal of enjoyment to the driving experience.
Thanks. It's good to have confirmation of that. I think I need to hook something over the top of the panel to pull directly from the top. The bottom is easy as the rear of the panel is accessible. If that makes sense.

I have my first club run this Sunday. Unfortunately it's little more than an hour long freeway run with other Porsches. It's time will come though. There are plenty of good roads close by.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

A quick wash before the club run. A shout out for Rapid Dry towels, a New Zealand product. No wiping required. Just place the towel on the surface.
Attached Images        
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 08:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Next up is corrosion removal. New Zealand is a temperate climate so we don't have corrosion issues. I think the car is pretty good for 9 years old in the UK weather but I'm going to make it perfect.
Attached Images    
Old 07-19-2019, 09:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Trial nut
Attached Images    
Old 07-19-2019, 09:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I’m going to enjoy watching this transformation!
Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,571 Likes on 601 Posts

Great stuff!
I look forward to seeing the car and the spectacular scenery...

I've got that same Tone ratchet handle too - quality stuff, right up there with my Stahlwille.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:00 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

While you are rust-treating your ex uk etc see the photo here. Mine is starting to dribble coolant so make sure to clean and seal with wax or something.
I will check with my tech next week to see if it needs replacing.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny

While you are rust-treating your ex uk etc see the photo here. Mine is starting to dribble coolant so make sure to clean and seal with wax or something.
I will check with my tech next week to see if it needs replacing.
The car service records show two coolant pipes have already been replaced. The last one, just before it was shipped to NZ. I know we should expect this kind of thing with 9 year old cars so being underneath with the corrosion serves a double purpose.

Rust remover did an ok job. I note it suggests using when 20C which is difficult in Winter. I recall my high school chemistry had experiments with chemical reactions and temp. It does matter. I'll have another go soon.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 987 Spyder - a new owner’s perspective.