Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 Spyder - a new owner’s perspective.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 04:26 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
It was a long wait. I had container tracking so could update myself on progress every day, which at 18 knots was modest. I also had a nervous blackout period from the Suez Canal to Reunion Island stage as the ship went through the pirate zone. It all ended well however.

Are you setting up a RHD register, like you did for the Turbo 3.6?
One register is enough ! My aim is to just enjoy the Spyder - i hope it will not get too valuable to drive in my lifetime like the Turbo did !
Old 07-09-2019, 05:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I haven’t seen any worn or faded Spyder tops yet although I suspect most of the tops don’t see very much weather. RaggTopp is what is recommended by the OEM that supplies the tops to Porsche.

I’ve heard through the grapevine that Porsche no longer stocks the tops which could be a big issue as our cars get older. I’m going to research this a bit to confirm if Porsche intends to build more.
The roof is at Suncoast for $2,295 and the rear window is $1,495. Both are special order from Germany. Maybe it's like the Speedlines on the Turbo 3.6 i.e. buy now and put away. Aftermarket won't ever be as good.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
The roof is at Suncoast for $2,295 and the rear window is $1,495. Both are special order from Germany. Maybe it's like the Speedlines on the Turbo 3.6 i.e. buy now and put away. Aftermarket won't ever be as good.
Yes that was my assumption also but apparently that’s not the case. We have a fellow Rennlister that had his Spyder top damaged recently and discovered the hard way that there’s no inventory. I will get in touch with Suncoast to determine if they can special order the tops and if they will hold the prices on their website. I will also try Sunset Porsche.

I agree that this might be a buy now and stow away part as the top will inevitably wear.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
One register is enough ! My aim is to just enjoy the Spyder - i hope it will not get too valuable to drive in my lifetime like the Turbo did !
The train spotting was an interesting exercise with the Turbo 3.6 but I don't feel the need to revisit it with the Spyder, except to know how many and where in New Zealand they reside.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:58 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Subscribing- I recently bought a 2011 Spyder but have yet to take delivery of it. I drove an R, but never a Spyder, so it will be interesting to hear your perspectives and compare them to mine. One thing I've already noticed is that you guys have a cleaner rear bumper than ours in the USA. I'm not really a fan of the little "ears" we get on the back.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oilhammer
Subscribing- I recently bought a 2011 Spyder but have yet to take delivery of it. I drove an R, but never a Spyder, so it will be interesting to hear your perspectives and compare them to mine. One thing I've already noticed is that you guys have a cleaner rear bumper than ours in the USA. I'm not really a fan of the little "ears" we get on the back.
Congrats. Good to have new owners in the mix.

My R and Spyder were/are the same spec, PDK and Buckets. Both are compromised vehicles on New Zealand roads. If you run down a smooth freeway to a track, then circulate and drive home, they are in their element. Equally, they shine in winding back road drives where you are driving with a purpose and focused on the task at hand.

Next March, I will complete a 3,000 mile road trip with four track days. That's why I'm softening up my bucket seat padding.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:14 AM
WAILN6
Racer

3000?! Ok, now you are making me feel bad. I am flying out to California next month to drive it around before I ship it back to Colorado, but I was tempted to just go ahead and drive it back. (Shipping it skirts a sales tax issue in California I don't want to pay) I did drive a 1978 toyota landcruiser across the country over a few days, so I suppose a Spyder is plush by comparison. 3k miles though, wow. Iron butt award.

Regarding the top, have you looked at Griot's Garage products? https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...rPicks&from=fn
and : https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ortby=ourPicks

Last edited by WAILN6; 07-10-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

3000?! Ok, now you are making me feel bad. I am flying out to California next month to drive it around before I ship it back to Colorado, but I was tempted to just go ahead and drive it back. (Shipping it skirts a sales tax issue in California I don't want to pay) I did drive a 1978 toyota landcruiser across the country over a few days, so I suppose a Spyder is plush by comparison. 3k miles though, wow. Iron butt award.

Regarding the top, have you looked at Griot's Garage products? https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...rPicks&from=fn
During the work week, I take public transport, if I’m not travelling for work, which is 22 weeks per year, so my sports car driving opportunities are limited. When I do drive, I go big. The trip will take me through some incredible areas. I last did it in 2014 in my 964. This will be faster.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Re griots. We are limited to what is imported. I don’t think there is a ready supply of that line in New Zealand.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:04 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

FWIW, I wouldn't be afraid to drive from CA to CO. Just last week I flew out to CA and drove my new (to me) Spyder ~1,500 miles back to Texas. Even with mine having an aftermarket suspension (KW v3 adjusted towards the stiffer end of the range) and sport buckets, I didn't feel beat up or exhausted after driving for long periods of time. My 71-year old father also came along and didn't seem any worse for wear
Old 07-11-2019, 02:18 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 311 Posts

I've used Raggtop 2x per year for 8 years.
I'll use it on the 718 Spyder when it arrives.
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/fabr...l#.XSbGBI97lc8
Old 07-12-2019, 06:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Is the spoiler switch a full switch on the Spyder or just a facsimile? I want to wire my garage opener to it since the spoiler is fixed.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:56 PM
WAILN6
Racer

I've only seen the spoiler switch on early spyders. As far as I've been told, it's a dummy. (Mine has one too) I was thinking about reusing it for something fun...like powering a radar detector. I think there are garage door openers that work via your phone, so is that an option for you?
Old 07-15-2019, 05:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I've only seen the spoiler switch on early spyders. As far as I've been told, it's a dummy. (Mine has one too) I was thinking about reusing it for something fun...like powering a radar detector. I think there are garage door openers that work via your phone, so is that an option for you?
My door opener is 1980s technology and I can't see a phone alone app. They seem to require Bluetooth addition to the opener. I think the spare button idea is worth pursuing. I've been searching YouTube for the sequence to remove the switch. I've done it on my 986. It doesn't look that different.
Attached Images    
Old 07-15-2019, 05:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Finally complied and road legal. These are temporary plates until my personalised ones arrive.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 987 Spyder - a new owner’s perspective.