Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 AC leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 02:20 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 981 AC leak

I have a leak and the dealer is saying the hoses have deteriorated and do not want to cover it under CPO. Anyone heard of this? The car has 21k miles and has been garaged it's entire life.
I am fit to be tied right now. Hoses don't fall apart that quickly.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:20 PM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts

Time to read the details of the CPO Warranty and clearly understand what is and is not covered. Have never had CPO, so I can’t help.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:31 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jg (atl)
Time to read the details of the CPO Warranty and clearly understand what is and is not covered. Have never had CPO, so I can’t help.
They are trying to say that the AC hoses are normal wear and tear. I have an 05 Cayenne and an 88 911 both with original AC lines so I'm not buying they would be normal wear and tear.

The CPO does not cover:
  1. Emission Control Systems and Corrosion. (Refer to the Emission Control and Corrosion Limited Warranties in the new vehicle limited warranty manual.)
  2. Batteries damaged from storage, lack of normal vehicle use, or non-Porsche Approved electrical or accessory installation.
  3. Tires damaged by road hazard. (If you need further assistance, contact your authorized Porsche automobile dealer.)
  4. Tires damaged by premature wear.
  5. Parts that fail due to lack of required maintenance or use of non-Porsche Cars N.A. distributed parts.
  6. Normal wear and tear or deterioration of any part.
  7. Cleaning and polishing.
  8. Contamination of fuels, lubricants, or other fluids.
  9. Lubricants, unless part of a warranty repair.
  10. Air conditioner refrigerant charge unless part of a warranty repair.
  11. Glass breakage, chips and/or scratches that are not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
  12. Appearance items that are not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
  13. Any car registered or normally driven outside of the United States and Canada.
  14. The replacement of expendable maintenance items (such as spark plugs, filters, worn wiper blades, worn brakes, worn clutches, worn tires) when the replacement is not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
  15. The adding of any fluids unless they are needed as part of a warranty repair.
  16. Any car with an odometer that has been altered so that the actual mileage cannot be determined.
  17. Vehicles with total loss or salvage titles.
  18. Modifications not authorized by Porsche Cars N.A. or it’s authorized dealers.
  19. Service adjustments (such as idle speed, air/fuel mixture, brake, clutch, headlight, and drive belts)
  20. Improper repairs by someone other than Porsche Cars N.A. or it’s authorized dealers.
  21. Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use or other events beyond the control of Porsche Cars N.A.
  22. Components and/or parts that failed during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the CPO limited warranty.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:08 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Sounds like they're trying to blow you off. It's hard to figure how A/C hoses can be considered as "...Normal wear and tear or deterioration of any part...". I'd ask them to "show me" and explain how they came up with that determination. If they cannot come up with a reasonable answer, I'd escalate to Porsche NA. After all, they ultimately pay the dealer for CPO claims.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:40 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

They should have performed a pressurized dye test to find the leak. Make them show you. All the hoses did not wear out. Likely one is damaged or the leak is from a condenser perforation, or a bad connector.

I have a 2014 981 and the AC hoses have been trouble free.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:30 PM
jett2835
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Posted a thread in the past about my A/C issue as well.

Bought a non-CPO '13 Boxster S with 20k miles on the odo last year from a Lexus dealer that had it on the lot. Mistake for me to not blast the A/C during the test drive since the weather was chilly at the time. Summer time rolls around, my A/C is barely blowing cold and being in Texas heat it was unbearable. Took it in to the indy shop since I did not have CPO and they gave me the following diagnosis:

Needed to replace the High and Low pressure lines (part #99157310906 and #99157309300) due to a leak in the plastic hoses.

Side note - once they had replaced the pressure lines, they called me to schedule me to collect my car. Day of, they called me to let me know the car somehow was not blowing cold air after they recharged the freon the day before. Car ended up staying with them a couple of more days and they had told me they needed replace the o-rings in the new high/low pressure lines since there was a leak in the new parts.

Ended up paying $1,400 for labor and parts/freon recharge ($500 diagnostic charge included due to time spent searching for the leak). They did not tag on any extra labor cost to the bill to fix the o-rings.

Not sure how much this helps you, but hopefully gives you ball park $ cost if you have the same issue I had and are not covered by CPO.

I also agree with the posts above that it is a bit ridiculous to consider A/C hoses to be normal wear and tear items if they fail within only ~6 years (in your case).
Old 06-30-2019, 06:00 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Try a different dealer.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I would have the O-Rings changed and or ask them specifically to show you the leak locations before spending $$$ on hoses. Seems odd that hoses would be failing so early.

Quick Reply: 981 AC leak