Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint work affects on Trade In

Old 06-24-2019, 05:17 PM
grendelrt
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Paint work affects on Trade In

Hi , I am currently looking to pick up a 911 and I have a 2014 Cayman S right now. I took my car to the local Porsche dealership for an trade in estimate and found out the drivers side door had some paint work done. The carfax is clean and I have owned the car since 5K miles, so it must have happened with the first owner. The drivers side door and two panels to each side have some blending, the dealer figured. I obviously wasn't happy to find that out (I bought a paint tester the day before ironically for my 911 search) and was even less happy when the dealer said he wouldn't give me an offer because he doesn't sell cars that have had work. He was super nice about it and said prior to finding there had been paint work he was going to offer 44K. I have an extremely well optioned Cayman S (PDK, Chrono, Exhaust, Heated /Cooled, etc) so was dissapointed I couldnt get an offer. Looking for advice, am I going to have this much trouble due to the paint work getting rid of the car? I am going to try a couple more dealerships tomorrow since I have until Friday to decide with the Carmax appraisal. The car has 15K miles on it, options below.

Price:$86,270.00
Exterior:Aqua Blue Metallic
Interior:Standard Interior in Black

BASECayman S
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
446 Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
541 Seat ventilation
603 Bi-Xenon? headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
635 ParkAssist (rear)
640 Sport Chrono Package (i.c.w. PCM)
658 Power Steering Plus
840 SportDesign steering wheel
AG Standard Interior in Black
D2 Aqua Blue Metallic
P06 Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
P9B Premium Package i.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way)
P9G Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XRT 20-inch SportTechno wheels

Old 06-24-2019, 05:29 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Without knowing what happened to cause the paint to be done it's sort of hard to say. my 964 had paint work done on the rear bumper after I backed it into a snow bank and it scratched the bumper. it happened at low speed and I told the buyer showed him the receipts from the local well known to be excellent shop that did the re-spray and was transparent about what happened, low speed, scraping coming out of a driveway where I couldn't see the snow behind me. It was clear nothing had been damaged apart from a cosmetic scrape and it had been repaired correctly so they were 100% okay with it.

Your car looks awesome, I have basically the same car as a Boxster except it's got a grey interior, really love Aqua blue it's an excellent color.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:31 PM
grendelrt
Advanced

Originally Posted by ramans
Without knowing what happened to cause the paint to be done it's sort of hard to say. my 964 had paint work done on the rear bumper after I backed it into a snow bank and it scratched the bumper. it happened at low speed and I told the buyer showed him the receipts from the local well known to be excellent shop that did the re-spray and was transparent about what happened, low speed, scraping coming out of a driveway where I couldn't see the snow behind me. It was clear nothing had been damaged apart from a cosmetic scrape and it had been repaired correctly so they were 100% okay with it.

Your car looks awesome, I have basically the same car as a Boxster except it's got a grey interior, really love Aqua blue it's an excellent color.
Thanks, yeah i dont know what caused the damage :/ But the work is obviously good because I didn't know it was there, neither did the dealer until he used the paint tester. I didn't realize some dealers may not even offer on the car do to it, and do not want to find a 911 and not be able to trade in my car.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:38 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Did they say if there was any filler at all? I thought the gold standard was to check for filler as well. A simple key-job scratch is one thing, filled-in side swipe another.

When I sold my RS60, there was one spot on it that they found to be blended during the PPI to the new buyer. Was not on my inspection, nothing on carfax, no filler, but I gave the buyer a little break on price. I'm sure a dealer would have tried to take advantage of it.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:41 PM
grendelrt
Advanced

Originally Posted by daylorb
Did they say if there was any filler at all? I thought the gold standard was to check for filler as well. A simple key-job scratch is one thing, filled-in side swipe another.

When I sold my RS60, there was one spot on it that they found to be blended during the PPI to the new buyer. Was not on my inspection, nothing on carfax, no filler, but I gave the buyer a little break on price. I'm sure a dealer would have tried to take advantage of it.
They didnt mention anything like that, he only did a paint tester, would you be able to tell if it was filled just by that?
Old 06-24-2019, 06:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

If there is filler the "paint" would be even thicker. There is a chance it was repaired at the port so the P.O. would have had no idea.

When the 05 GTO came here from Australia the clear coat was bubbling. Many cars were repainted by GM before they realized it would go away if left in the sun.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:00 PM
grendelrt
Advanced

Thanks guys, I guess my overall question would be, do you think this would make the car untradeable to dealers? Or was this specific dealer just being very strict on their trade in? (Not necessarily a bad thing btw)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:03 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by grendelrt
Thanks guys, I guess my overall question would be, do you think this would make the car untradeable to dealers? Or was this specific dealer just being very strict on their trade in? (Not necessarily a bad thing btw)
Dealer was being very strict. If somoene wants a perfect car they should be in the new car showroom. scratches are a fact of life, and are different than frame damage, or panel replacement, and there is a market for those cars too.
The following users liked this post:
grendelrt (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:42 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Honestly, the car is already a '14 -- the '20's are incoming. They're barely even CPO'able at this point depending on it's in service date. I see no reason why a minor incident would be an issue assuming an inspection checks out otherwise. Not a bad thing on your dealers part -- that might be his market, but I'm sure you will find somewhere to unload it. He's just not willing to take the risk, but another dealer will.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 331 Likes on 204 Posts

I would just go through the routine until you find a dealership who’ll take the trade. Be surprised each time. lol

I had a Range Rover that was keyed from front to back. Certified Land Rover repair, something like $5k. Anyway, didn’t have an issue at all on trade at Mercedes. Actually think someone at the dealership bought it outright. It was mint.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:50 PM
grendelrt
Advanced

Thanks , I am going to try a couple dealerships tomorrow and see how it goes Hopefully a little better luck, maybe that first one was just bad luck.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:28 AM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking for an Aqua Blue Cayman S.
Would you consider a private party sale?
Old 06-25-2019, 01:10 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Not sure why you are focused on selling to a dealer, other than ease, speed, and not having to deal directly with knuckleheads.

Have you considered selling it on BaT (www.bringatrailer.com)? Most likely you'll get a much better price than from a dealer and the car will be sold in a relatively short, finite time period.

Most dealers worth their salt will run a paint meter but not all will reject it.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:47 PM
grendelrt
Advanced

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Not sure why you are focused on selling to a dealer, other than ease, speed, and not having to deal directly with knuckleheads.

Have you considered selling it on BaT (www.bringatrailer.com)? Most likely you'll get a much better price than from a dealer and the car will be sold in a relatively short, finite time period.

Most dealers worth their salt will run a paint meter but not all will reject it.
Yeah combination of all those things you said, plus timelines. I just got back from a couple dealers and already got a much higher offer, so I am feeling pretty good now I do appreciate the replies, that first dealer visit through me for a loop, but it seems to be an outlier.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:16 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you be willing to tell me which dealer you sold it to so I could take a look at the car?
It sounds like a good one. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint work affects on Trade In