Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Delamination - How bad is this one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 11:11 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Headlight Delamination - How bad is this one?

How bad would the board here consider this? Worthy of a CPO? If beyond CPO how much would it affect the value in negotiations?
Asking for a friend.
Thanks
Old 06-18-2019, 10:45 AM
la02max
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing you're trying to buy this car? If it's a CPO, they'll just replace the headlight. Mine looked similar and I just had mine replaced last month under CPO...
Old 06-18-2019, 10:51 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

Doesn't look bad, but I had one very similar and it was replaced under warranty. Mine was a PDLS version, so looking up the price of the part(s) shows a MSRP of around $1900/each. According to the dealer, there is more labor involved than "typical" in that the light needs to be calibrated/aligned with the PIWIS tool after installation.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It is out of warranty. Know it is crazy expensive to replace. Trying to figure out a fair dollar amount to attribute to it. Car has less than 20k miles and is otherwise very nice.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:13 AM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If the parts alone are $1,900 add labor and you're at approx $3k. Other option is to source a used replacement in good condition and include it with the sale of your car at no charge. Maybe that saves you $1,000-1,500.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:26 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carsly
If the parts alone are $1,900 add labor and you're at approx $3k. Other option is to source a used replacement in good condition and include it with the sale of your car at no charge. Maybe that saves you $1,000-1,500.
How much better can one get? Is finding a replacement just finding one that hasn't yet started ?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:59 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
How much better can one get? Is finding a replacement just finding one that hasn't yet started ?
Either get it refinished or buy a new one. First thing is to determine which headlight you have. My Boxster's driver-side light is really, really bad. I looked on eb@y. None of them had part numbers that matched my light. The reason was they listed using the part number from the big sticker on the side of the headlight. The headlight is available new only as an assembly, which has a different part number. I pulled my light from the car to get the sticker part number and then I was able to match compatible items. There were four at the time. Two had a cracked edge off the lens at the bottom, one was crazed, and the fourth was from a vendor with too low a score for me to deal with. The issue is the crazing can be made to disappear with careful lighting and/or photo editing tools. So I watched several DIY videos and bought the tools and will attempt to sand and recoat the light. If I mess it up then I will buy new.

Note there are at least four headlights, a halogen (cheapest) and three Xenons. One has fixed aim, the other two differ cosmetically with one with more black around the lights. The last two are the expensive ones, and I found an on-line dealer price about $1500. If replaced, you need to re-aim the light. If you are happy with the current light's aim then pull your car near a garage door and mark the beam location (horizontal and vertical) on the door with tape. Install the new light and adjust to match. Under the hood, behind the toolkit and tire sealant are two plugs. The upper plug controls the vertical and the one below and forward controls horizontal position. You need to adjust with lights and ignition on and then turn light off and then ignition off. Turn back on to ensure the settings are memorized and repeat if not. If I remember correctly, the alignment tool needed is a 5 inch long 5mm allen wrench with a ball end.

The other side light is still perfect. So who knows why one side goes bad and the other does not.

V6
Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
It is out of warranty. Know it is crazy expensive to replace. Trying to figure out a fair dollar amount to attribute to it. Car has less than 20k miles and is otherwise very nice.
Based on your pic, if all else was good on the car I wouldnt let it kill a deal.. Like I said, mine was worse and I wasnt even inclined to mention it until the SA said to check it.. Use it as a negotiation tool.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:12 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Pretty sure my buddy closed on the deal. The light is PDLS. They negotiated a few hundred more off what they agreed on. Echoing what Saabin said, if the dealer didnt point it out, and the car was delivered, would he have noticed it? Probably not. The rest of the car looked right in the pictures I requested. A few of us overly analyzed the pictures. I dont think he will regret the purchase. If the headlight starts to annoy him all he has to do is get in the car and push the "binocular" button; and drive. He will forget all about it.

When we were analyzing the pictures one of the analysts asked me why I'm not selling my 07 to buy this one. Easy - $$$! Otherwise I may have gone for it. I'll fill in the details when it is in his driveway.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Buddy bought the car and it was delivered late Thursday 14 CS manual. The headlight delamination is the only visible flaw I saw at night. I'll get a good look in a few weeks. He left for vacation. The black paint looked "right" under the lights which would have magnified any imperfection. The agate/pebble interior is immaculate, it has, PASM, binoculars and will turn 14,000 soon. Because the Porsche dealer was 200 miles one way and 300 miles the other way he didn't get an overrev report or PPI. But we did get pictures of the control arms and the factory paper bar code stickers on the control arms etc. He traded his 13 Panamerica 4S with 30,000 miles. He took a gamble, it was a calculated risk and I think he did well on this car. The only damage/wear is the headlights. There are no chips or sandblasts in the lights, just the delamination. The local Porsche store will pull an overrev report when he gets the oil changed and they do a once over.

Quick Reply: Headlight Delamination - How bad is this one?