Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone Adapter 987.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 01:20 PM
NJR1986
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default iPhone Adapter 987.1

I have my first 987.1 - it has an aftermarket hedunit, which Ill keep my opinions of those to myself, and in the glovebox I found an iPod/iPhone adapter cord. Just wondering if this is something the Caymans came with stock or if this is part of the aftermarket headunit that the previous owner had installed?

If stock, have any of you guys used any adapters to get this connector to work with present day phones? Im thinking about purchasing a bluetooth connector, the cord in there is the old-school 30 pin connecter. I see a bunch on Amazon, but some say they do not work with Audi, BMW, or Mercedes. Just wondering if any of you have had success with any of the 30pin to lightning or 30pin blue tooth adapters?

Thanks !
Old 06-17-2019, 05:37 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't believe it is stock, stock had nothing like this and connectivity on the 987.1's was pretty awful.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:02 PM
NJR1986
Instructor

Originally Posted by daylorb
I don't believe it is stock, stock had nothing like this and connectivity on the 987.1's was pretty awful.
Yeah I wasn't sure, Im guessing a cheap 30pin bluetooth adapter should work then.

Thanks !

For anyone interested I will post reviews once I give it a shot.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:15 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

What kind of aftermarket head unit? I'm curious if the cables you found are part of the head unit, or if there is a Dension Gateway or something back there.

My car had old school ipod and USB cables, which lead to a Gateway 500. Supposedly there's newer cables that will allow it to talk with newer mp3 devices. But I took the radio out of my car, so I never tested this. Gateway 500 is for sale if anyone wants to try it out...
Old 06-18-2019, 10:07 AM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NJR1986
I have my first 987.1 - it has an aftermarket hedunit, which Ill keep my opinions of those to myself, and in the glovebox I found an iPod/iPhone adapter cord. Just wondering if this is something the Caymans came with stock or if this is part of the aftermarket headunit that the previous owner had installed?

If stock, have any of you guys used any adapters to get this connector to work with present day phones? Im thinking about purchasing a bluetooth connector, the cord in there is the old-school 30 pin connecter. I see a bunch on Amazon, but some say they do not work with Audi, BMW, or Mercedes. Just wondering if any of you have had success with any of the 30pin to lightning or 30pin blue tooth adapters?

Thanks !
Not stock. The glorious CDR 24 came stock with inputs for, errrrr, um, nuttin'. Well, a single CD if I'm being fully accurate. If you're wanting music from your phone then I've got nothing but if you're wanting phone capability then I recommend a Plantronics earpiece, which works fantastically and stores remarkably well in the cigarette pocket (although the lid needs to stay open).
Old 06-18-2019, 10:13 AM
NJR1986
Instructor

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
What kind of aftermarket head unit? I'm curious if the cables you found are part of the head unit, or if there is a Dension Gateway or something back there.

My car had old school ipod and USB cables, which lead to a Gateway 500. Supposedly there's newer cables that will allow it to talk with newer mp3 devices. But I took the radio out of my car, so I never tested this. Gateway 500 is for sale if anyone wants to try it out...
Its some touchscreen Kenwood double din touch screen, not sure of model numbe, and seems like a decent install with bluetooth microphone wired into a-pillar and iPod in glove box.

Theres also a huge JL audio amp wired in the frunk but I disconnected it as I think it may have been draining the battery.

Thinking about just investing in a Apple CarPlay ready unit and removing anything aftermarket

Quick Reply: iPhone Adapter 987.1