Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone figure out what's up with this car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 11:51 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 336 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Can someone figure out what's up with this car?

I've been scouring sites for a 981 with packages/options I'm interested in - pretty much set on an S or GTS if I find the right color and combinations - low miles and probably no earlier than a '14. I came across a certain car on a few sites and then went to the dealer site. It's listed as an S in some places, but listed as a GTS on the dealer site. The vin decoder says it's an S. It looks like a GTS and has the badging for it. Very odd results.

Links below.

Link 1
Link 2
LInk 3
Link 4

This is my ideal car in terms of color/wheels combination. Too bad it's been sold

Hope I'm not violating any T&C rules. If so, please remove.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:04 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Run the VIN to see if it’s an S or GTS. That will also confirm the options.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:08 AM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Run the VIN to see if it’s an S or GTS. That will also confirm the options.
I did. They're in the links. I used the decoder here and vinanalytics.com as well. They come up with different specs/trim levels.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:51 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam
I did. They're in the links. I used the decoder here and vinanalytics.com as well. They come up with different specs/trim levels.
I’m not certain how accurate the Rennlist decoder is.

It does look to be a GTS.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:20 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 398 Posts

it is a GTS

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0CB2A87FS140387/

someone in internet sales at Alfa needs to be retrained

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 06-12-2019 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:52 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Yeah it has all the aesthetic components including the GTS interior package, aside from the "real" leather sportdesign steering wheel (which may not be a bad thing depending on your thoughts on alcantara; sometimes the grip or lack thereof of the steering wheel gets on my nerves tbh). It has to be a GTS.

I'd ask them to remove that ridiculous sticker off the rear bumper. Sacrilege.

Also interestingly that carmine red one had the non-sportdesign steering wheel but in carbon fiber. I don't know how I feel about that.

Anyway, seems like a solid car at a good price. I'd definitely recommend going to check that out, it probably won't hang around for very long.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:00 AM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I was looking at that car too I'm not in the market anymore but it seems like a really good deal!
Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

It's a GTS with GTS interior package / alcantara delete on the steering wheel and shift ****. Before purchasing any manual pcar insist on a PPI with DME overrev printout. Even more important when purchasing from a non pcar dealer, overrevs might be the reason they own it.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:48 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It does look good, but I thought I saw "Sold" on one of the sites. If not it looks worth a serious PPI.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by vracer
It does look good, but I thought I saw "Sold" on one of the sites. If not it looks worth a serious PPI.
I pretty much crossed that one off of the list.

Man some odd things in the used car hunt. One '13 S that hit the search criteria shows on Truecar as having 17+k miles. Went to the dealer site and they have it listed with the same miles. However their link to the Carfax shows it has 27+k miles. Called the dealer and the sales person went to take some pics and it does show 17K miles. Should this be a red flag? It's a BMW dealer so I assume they play it straight. Has a pretty significant options list. So it's on my radar.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:36 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Man some odd things in the used car hunt. One '13 S that hit the search criteria shows on Truecar as having 17+k miles. Went to the dealer site and they have it listed with the same miles. However their link to the Carfax shows it has 27+k miles. Called the dealer and the sales person went to take some pics and it does show 17K miles. Should this be a red flag? It's a BMW dealer so I assume they play it straight. Has a pretty significant options list. So it's on my radar.
Carfax would only know what someone entered into a computer system somewhere. Pretty easy for someone to type 27 instead of 17 and make the Carfax report inaccurate.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:39 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by Scooby921
Carfax would only know what someone entered into a computer system somewhere. Pretty easy for someone to type 27 instead of 17 and make the Carfax report inaccurate.
So those numbers are enter manually? Thought maybe they were generated from the the ODB port readings and that data was then submitted to Carfax. OK the 1 to 2 error somewhat makes sense if entered manually.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:42 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Actually I was wrong with the numbers and now I'm back to not understanding the discrepancy. (Been looking at a few cars so I was confused The milage initially reported - 15,670. Carfax milage - 27,375. Also shows a different owner than where the car is currently located. The vin matches on all sites.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Many years ago we bought a BMW. The gal at DMV typed the VIN where she should have typed the mileage. Car went from 20k to 90k.

Took a car of mine to be emission tested in NY. They put the enema in the tailpipe. Guy did it wrong, car failed. He did it again and it passed. Carfax says it failed emissions then passed 10 miles later. He added 10 miles so the system would think i drove it around.

So, what is the issue?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:49 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Many years ago we bought a BMW. The gal at DMV typed the VIN where she should have typed the mileage. Car went from 20k to 90k.

Took a car of mine to be emission tested in NY. They put the enema in the tailpipe. Guy did it wrong, car failed. He did it again and it passed. Carfax says it failed emissions then passed 10 miles later. He added 10 miles so the system would think i drove it around.

So, what is the issue?
Well never bought used and this would be long distance. Just don't need a headache. If the Carfax is that off, then they really have no value. I suspect that the issues arise because many of these cars are lease turn-ins. They get sold at auction, traded and sometimes a particular dealer may have multiple locations under different business names and they trade/swap them as well. That info needs to then be input to the Carfax. Sometimes a one owner car has a really long history list. If I could find a CPO withe way I want it, that would certainly alleviate any concerns.

Quick Reply: Can someone figure out what's up with this car?