Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman GTS vs Boxter GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 09:46 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Simple to decide. You're either a hair dresser or not a hair dresser.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:54 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Ahem, well..... I am far from Niki Lauda, may he rest in peace, but after replacing the GT4 with a Spyder, and thus driving them extensively back to back, they do feel different. I find the Spyder to be a little more neutral and a little more supple. When my wife first rode in the Spyder she was wowwed, and exclaimed "how does a Porsche drive nicer than a 7series?". Not so with the GT4.
The original topic of the thread is GTS vs GTS, not Spyder vs GT4.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:25 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
The original topic of the thread is GTS vs GTS, not Spyder vs GT4.
That is true, I stand corrected, sir.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:42 AM
57staff
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have found that nothing beats driving in the canyons in my Boxster with the top down and the engine noise reverberating off the walls. Epic.
The following users liked this post:
okie981 (08-13-2020)
Old 05-28-2019, 01:11 PM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Cayman for me. Coming from an S2000, owned it for 12 years, I didn't want to deal with soft top maintainance and replacement.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:35 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 9~factor
Cayman for me. Coming from an S2000, owned it for 12 years, I didn't want to deal with soft top maintainance and replacement.
I've heard that this is an issue with S2000s, particularly those left outside for most of their lives, but is it really a thing for 981s? Serious question, not rhetorical.

There is a little bit of a concern that I know of with some significant wear locations on the top, and admittedly my car is affected. Some folks think it may be caused by excessive vibration while the top is down on cars equipped with the X73 sports suspension, but that's mostly speculation. If you look there are some threads about it; apparently some dealers even recognize it as a manufacturer defect and will replace the top under warranty (not my local dealer though... but I still have some warranty left, I will make another strong push for it in about a year as the warranty is set to expire, especially if it worsens). But overall it isn't that big a deal, just looks like someone took a brush really hard to it in very specific spots. Nothing I'd panic over if it wasn't covered under warranty, as it's strictly an aesthetic defect, and doesn't appear to illicit a cause for replacement.

Also, even the newest S2000 is approaching being a 20 year old car at this point. Not sure if this is a legitimate concern for a neutral party (i.e., someone who hasn't been burned by soft top woes before).
Old 05-29-2019, 11:17 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Jooniper
Originally looking for 981 Cayman GTS but so hard to find. I see some Boxter GTS with all the options I want, fair price.
Which car you guys prefer ?
the KBB retail price shows Cayman is 5-7000$ more with all same specs.
Boxsters are more popular than Caymans so you should find more Boxsters out there since more were imported. Timing is everything. Wait long enough and you'll find whatever you're looking for. Being a GTS, the look could take much longer simply because there are much fewer of them compared to S variants. Boxsters usually sell for more money than Caymans as they cost more and are more popular on the used market. If a Cayman GTS cost more than a Boxster GTS it's either due to condition, mileage, and options and/or variations of all 3. If you're not apt to drive top down much or ever, then the Cayman is the better choice. I've owned more Boxsters (4) than Caymans (2) so I definitely like top down driving. But I also like some body behind your head which led me to my first Targa (991). The Targa makes for a more coupe like convertible and the extra cabin space is nice. But between the 2 you're looking at, I'd probably go with the Boxster GTS. I also own a Cayman GT4 and wouldn't want a Cayman GTS unless I just had to have PDK, which I don't have to have since my Targa is PDK and 1 PDK is more than enough sedation.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 418 Likes on 204 Posts

FWIW, my manual CGTS has all leather interior and leather steering wheel, I ordered it that way. I hate Alcantera for several reasons.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:29 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
FWIW, my manual CGTS has all leather interior and leather steering wheel, I ordered it that way. I hate Alcantera for several reasons.
Hate is such a strong word for a material you didn't even spell correctly.

If it isn't obvious yes I'm being facetious... but I've seen this type of reaction a fair amount, and often it's from people who haven't really experienced Alcantara enough to draw a reasonable impression or are just flat out misinformed.

I'm not here to convince anyone they like something when they say they don't, but it's also worth pointing out that I used to be that guy who thought I'd hate alcantara (as I've done many times on this forum, where this happens frequently... today, actually, in another thread). There's tons of people out there who swear it's junk, but yet it's still so prevalent in high end sports cars...
Old 08-13-2020, 11:03 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 418 Likes on 204 Posts

I have no problem with those who like it, I just don't happen to be one. The industry has done a wonderful job selling it as a "premium" material. I liken it to naugahyde of years past. It's fake suede mostly. Yet people pay big money for it, when it likely costs a small percentage of leather. I've seen several steering wheels with badly worn surfaces and that alone would turn me away from it, but I just prefer leather.
The following users liked this post:
squid42 (08-13-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 03:17 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 566 Posts

I have both... first bought the CGTS in 2015 when I was a hard top or death guy. Enjoyed it a lot but the slippery slope of modifications have eventually turned it into a race car with a cage in it and a 3.8 X51 engine.

I missed having it for daily stuff and nice weather drives. When a BGTS came up for sale at an amazing price I bought that and I'm still surprised how much I'm enjoying it. My Cayman had X73 and the Boxster is PASM which is too wobbly for me actually. I intend to put the X73 parts I still have on the Boxster, only keeping the PASM shocks.

Other than that... the Boxster is more visceral with the top down and actually nicer with the top up too because the Cayman gets just a wee bit of drone especially if you mess with the exhaust or headers. I do think the Cayman is a tad prettier but I'm confident that with a bit of ride height drop, a Spyder ducktail and my old anthracite Carrera S wheels it will look good. Guards red on Turbo style 20 now.

If I wasn't tracking the car much and had to choose one I'd keep the Boxster. It's just more versatile in what it offers.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:50 PM
st981
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

For me the only reason I bought a 981 was because I was looking for a great handling and a good looking convertible for that visceral driving experience ala current era car with the old british roadster heart. Most cars, to my eyes, look terrible in their convertible forms including the 911s. Mercedes GT and Jaguar F being a rare exception but that's a different price range altogether.

If I was looking for a car I'd mostly track it would be a Cayman S or a GT4.

For a dual duty car though as you get closer to the GT4 price there are so many other options that I'd probably find an older GT3(RS) or most likely a used F458 for a little more.

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman GTS vs Boxter GTS