Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Parts Got Here Today! Weekend Planned.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 02:23 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My Parts Got Here Today! Weekend Planned.

My FVD Brombacher headers got here today; can't wait to get them installed. I will pair with PSE exhaust which got delivered a few weeks ago. I also bought the FVD Tune Software which I plan to install a couple of days after the exhaust - that way I can compare the before and after.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:30 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Nice! Should be a fun weekend ahead of you. Are you doing to do before & after sound clips?
Old 05-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

I did record some sound clips before I removed the old exhaust. I only recorded the startup sound with a few revs - both cold and warm. I will definitely record some after vids. This should be an easy install since I already removed the old and using all new hardware. However, it will take some time since I'm installing Numeric shift cables at the same time - maybe I can finish that in the evenings before the weekend.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:15 AM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same set up, sound is intoxicating. Very interested to hear you views on software difference. It is my next step and looking at fvd vs coob.
Any reason for your choice and will you log any data to measure the difference of the tune?
Old 05-23-2019, 09:58 AM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

In for install comments and final sound clips! Awesome!! Good luck
Old 05-23-2019, 01:40 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

I installed the headers last night. Unfortunately, I didn't get home until 9pm so I couldn't do too much. They are loosely installed (not torqued) in case I need some movement for the mufflers. I will either install the mufflers tonight or the Numeric cables. Or, I might not do anything because I had to order the Numeric wrench (I already have one but can't seem to find it anywhere). Maybe I just straighten the garage tonight. I reserve the right to change my mind
Old 05-23-2019, 02:20 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Very nice. You need my mint 1-owner MV Agusta in your garage. World's best bargain speed machine...
Old 05-23-2019, 06:17 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Very nice. You need my mint 1-owner MV Agusta in your garage. World's best bargain speed machine...
You know, I've already got two motorcycles in the garage which I am going to sell and shrink to just one. I don't think an Agusta would be good for me as I tend to go full speed all the time. I'm just too old for that. I'm waiting for the 2019 BMW R1250RS to come out (September). This is half sport/half tour and that's more my speed.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:13 AM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

How did the header bolts come out of the block? Apparently some of the threads deteriorate due to the different types of metal?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:48 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidybuoy

I installed the headers last night. Unfortunately, I didn't get home until 9pm so I couldn't do too much. They are loosely installed (not torqued) in case I need some movement for the mufflers. I will either install the mufflers tonight or the Numeric cables. Or, I might not do anything because I had to order the Numeric wrench (I already have one but can't seem to find it anywhere). Maybe I just straighten the garage tonight. I reserve the right to change my mind
It's wise to not tighten/torque things up until you have muffler tacked on as well along with nice position of tail pipes.
I'd recommend product called Copper Anti-seize which is a corrosion resist goo that you apple to all the bolts. That way if you decide to take it apart in a year, you don't have to go looking for an air chissel : )
Old 05-24-2019, 09:41 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Originally Posted by gman3280
How did the header bolts come out of the block? Apparently some of the threads deteriorate due to the different types of metal?
Surprisingly very easy. The bolt heads were rusty so I was worried but I used an impact wrench and they spun out as if they were new. No problems at all. Also, the header bolts have extra deep heads so there's lots for the socket to grab.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:43 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
I'd recommend product called Copper Anti-seize which is a corrosion resist goo that you apple to all the bolts. That way if you decide to take it apart in a year, you don't have to go looking for an air chissel : )
I have some and I will use it - Thanks.

Quick Reply: My Parts Got Here Today! Weekend Planned.