Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   987 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum-125/)
-   -   Carguru private seller purchase (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/1144153-carguru-private-seller-purchase.html)

Jooniper 05-21-2019 04:33 PM

Carguru private seller purchase

Hi, I live in CA and trying to purchase a Cayman from FL. I already talked to the seller privately. I never bought a car from a private seller remote, so I have couple questions
- if remote, what is the money transfer process ?
- Title transfer process
- Anyone used Carguru PPP protection before ?
Thanks

SpyderSenseOC 05-21-2019 04:43 PM

Just an FYI, there's a base Cayman for sale in Costa Mesa at a Chevrolet dealer. Let me know if you want the name of a professional salesman at that dealer and I'll send you the info.

https://www.connellchevrolet.com/veh...AA2A8XFK162944

SoCal-NSX 05-21-2019 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jooniper (Post 15856224)
Hi, I live in CA and trying to purchase a Cayman from FL. I already talked to the seller privately. I never bought a car from a private seller remote, so I have couple questions
- Title transfer process
Thanks

When I bought my first NSX I flew one way to Oregon and seller picked me up at airport..... drove to his bank and did the deal.
it helps if seller has title in hand and just remember you're going to have to pay tax and license and registration once you get it back to Cali.
you can try to have him lower the sale price on the bill of sale to save a few bucks on all that stuff:thumbup:

Tom R. 05-21-2019 05:44 PM

I don't have experience with car gurus, but do with blinker. A coworker used blinker to sell his car, blinker financed the deal, and when it was done he got the money. The buyer was protected because she financed through blinker, he was protected because blinker was doing the banking.

does car guru do financing? May be worth financing until it is delivered to your door - assuming you are not driving it cross country.

What happened to the one you just bought? It 's lonely in the garage and wants a sibling near?

vbb 05-21-2019 10:29 PM

I sold a car to a guy on the West Coast (I'm on the East Coast). I gave him a lot of pics, video and we talked and emailed. When the deal was sealed, we each signed a contract, he wired the funds to my bank and I mailed him the title. He arranged a shipper and I dropped the car off. Obviously it took trust on both ends, but it worked. The other way would be to fly out to pick up the car yourself and do the deal at a bank together, like was mentioned above.

daylorb 05-22-2019 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by vbb (Post 15856919)
I sold a car to a guy on the West Coast (I'm on the East Coast). I gave him a lot of pics, video and we talked and emailed. When the deal was sealed, we each signed a contract, he wired the funds to my bank and I mailed him the title. He arranged a shipper and I dropped the car off. Obviously it took trust on both ends, but it worked. The other way would be to fly out to pick up the car yourself and do the deal at a bank together, like was mentioned above.

I've had great luck buying things long distance, have almost 500 feedback points on ebay, but I did get burned on a boat once. I'd really be hesitant wiring any private seller anything these days. Spend a day and a cheap round-trip ticket, still can ship back.

uscarrera 05-22-2019 08:28 AM

I have done a few coast to coast car purchases and sales I agree with process vbb listed couple of additional thoughts try to get a local Rennlist member to take a look at car ” Rennfax” helps to see car and seller in person, I try to find a neutral location to drop off car before I wire payment to seller somewhere like a local shop in fact when I bought a 911SC from a remote town in Iowai reached out to the local Ford dealer to help with this most car dealers are car people deep down and will help a fellow car guy/gal out.
Rich”

Dr.Bill 05-22-2019 10:44 AM

I tried to use CarGurus recently. Made an offer, it was accepted, then the seller went radio silent. No clue if he got a better offer or what.

They do use an escrow service and claim you are protected up to $75k purchase. They take care of funds transfer, title transfer, etc.

The whole process is much easier if the seller has the title. No loans to pay off, nothing to wait for.

Four Ring Circus 05-23-2019 11:00 PM

I just bought a car on the marketplace here from a fellow Rennlister- I am NJ he is in IL. He didn’t have title in hand, so I paid him with a cashiers check for the car, he assisted me in coordinating with the auto transporter, and sent the car to NJ. The worst part of the tramsaction was waiting for his bank to release the lien so he could send me the new title. The car sat in the garage here in NJ waiting for title to be registered for more than 3 weeks. Luckily it arrived just in time for a track day I had signed up for a few months ago. My first extended tin behind the wheel was to get the pre-event tech inspection done- it was close!
You can work with escrow companies, but buying from a fellow Rennlister made things easy (thanks to Bill993!) for me.
Good luck.

BryanCO 05-23-2019 11:41 PM

- Title transfer process
Thanks

As others have stated, key point is if the seller has the title in hand. If not, it’s much more difficult. If the seller doesn’t have the title, tell him you’ll get a ppi and agree on a price but he has to pay off the car and have title before you transfer any funds. This may take longer but it protects you. You also may be able to run the transaction through a local (to the seller) Porsche dealer for a fee. A Porsche dealer may also be willing to have the car parked/stored at the dealership while the transaction is being processed.

Dr.Bill 05-24-2019 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by BryanCO (Post 15861796)
As others have stated, key point is if the seller has the title in hand. If not, it’s much more difficult. If the seller doesn’t have the title, tell him you’ll get a ppi and agree on a price but he has to pay off the car and have title before you transfer any funds. This may take longer but it protects you. You also may be able to run the transaction through a local (to the seller) Porsche dealer for a fee. A Porsche dealer may also be willing to have the car parked/stored at the dealership while the transaction is being processed.

The bad thing for the folks in AZ - going through a dealer adds sales tax! That's an 8% fee for no reason. Private party sales are not subject to sales tax.

cas951 05-24-2019 05:21 PM

- Title transfer process
Thanks

I’ve bought two cars out of state to date. The first was from Washington. Once we agreed on a price and the car checked out ok I flew to Seattle one way and the seller picked me up at the airport. From there we went to a coffee shop and looked over the car and documents. Once I saw the title was in order I handed he seller a cashiers check and I drove away. To register the car you will need a bill of sale which is on the title, Smog certificate, 50 state emission sticker verified by DMV.

My second ine was from a dealer dealer in PA. I did everything over the phone and emails. The car was new so I didn’t worry too much. I arranged for the shipment.

cas951 05-24-2019 05:23 PM

I’m curious as to why you’re going out of state to purchase when California has the most inventory out there. With all the floods taking place lately or even in the last few years I would be worried these cars could have been in a flood.

BryanCO 05-25-2019 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill (Post 15862026)
The bad thing for the folks in AZ - going through a dealer adds sales tax! That's an 8% fee for no reason. Private party sales are not subject to sales tax.

Ya, good point. I lived in AZ for 11 yrs and took advantage of that.

Jooniper 05-26-2019 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by cas951 (Post 15863385)
I’m curious as to why you’re going out of state to purchase when California has the most inventory out there. With all the floods taking place lately or even in the last few years I would be worried these cars could have been in a flood.

Im looking for a 981 Cayman GTS. There are only 10 in entire US. Thanks