Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Mods for Raw Analog Feel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 01:26 AM
MMMMalex
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 981 Mods for Raw Analog Feel?

Hey guys,

I've been on the market for a 981 and have finally found one in excellent condition with 30k mi. Base, Manual, Guards Red, Convenience Package. Nothing crazy but is priced fairly and meets all my needs in terms of specs. The only issue is that it feels nowhere near as raw and analog as my old 987.2. This is what I expected but I am blown away at how refined the 981 is. It's almost too refined... Has anyone been in the same boat and decided to mod the car to create more of that raw feel? It will never feel the same as a 987 but I'm thinking coilovers, exhaust, headers and different tires might get me closer to the feeling I'm searching for.

I think it is priced appropriately, I have been on the hunt for a while and I think this one is too good to pass up. Worst case I can sell the car later if it ends up not growing on me and not lose too much value. Would love to hear you guys' thoughts. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2019, 01:38 AM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

X73. Utterly transformed my 981 Cayman.
The following users liked this post:
tcal765 (11-08-2020)
Old 05-19-2019, 07:21 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Ditto on X73, and IMHO some ear candy (good exhaust that isn't obnoxious) will transform it as GT4John started

Coming from a 987 yes the steering is a bit different but the overall chassis feels more composed, and the despite the sport suspension and larger wheels (had 18's on the 987, with a Carnewal mod) its a touch more compliant overall.

- b
Old 05-19-2019, 08:33 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...ggestions.html

Would have done the same thing on a 981. I prefer Ohlins Coilovers and TPC sways to X73.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I added X73, camber plates, a numeric shifter and an FVD “sound” exhaust to my 981 Cayman. Also have track seats, but they will trigger an airbag light (reportedly this can be overcome with proper ECU reprogramming.). It is crazy fun to drive. Probably too loud for some though.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:28 AM
MMMMalex
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I think I'll end up going with an exhaust and coilovers for sure, at a minimum. Have looked into the X73 and have come across a ton of positive feedback. However, if I'm going to bother swapping struts, I'd rather go with an application that provides ride height adjustability.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:15 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by MMMMalex
Thanks guys. I think I'll end up going with an exhaust and coilovers for sure, at a minimum. Have looked into the X73 and have come across a ton of positive feedback. However, if I'm going to bother swapping struts, I'd rather go with an application that provides ride height adjustability.
I have been asked a similar question at a lot of the local PCA events.

1. Coilovers - So Ohlins are accepted as the best midrange, under 5K, street. But know that they are stiff. If it wasn't a 3rd car, maybe too stiff for me. KW V2 and Bilstein are softer alternatives that are great for the street. If you are going to track at all then just get the Ohlins. Ohlins are no Moton or JRZ by any means but you'd hate those on a street car. X73 is a good choice for an OEM solution but it's not on the level of the coilovers mentioned for any metric nor is it adjustable at all. No shame if you just like OEM - that's OKAY.

2. Engine Mount - This is the only one where I say definitely get a certain brand of something. FF1 engine mount helps tighten the car up more than you think without making it vibrate more or become intolerable at all. IMO this should be a mandatory modification for everyone.

3. Shifter - I think the Numeric shifter cables are a must and will definitely help the feel but also reliability factor. I also went with the numeric shifter and feel it is like the Ohlins where it is very mechanical and feels gated but perhaps the most "hardcore" option. The GT3 SSK is gem and a great upgrade for a street car like the KW or Bilstein coilovers but the Numeric is just the best and most precise.

4. GT3 Brake Booster - If you do one thing to improve braking, do this.

There are other things for sure - but these 4 are the ones that made the biggest difference in analog feel as you described. Plenum, TB, Filter, headers and tune made a very noticeable difference in power too but not as transformative to the car as the mods I catalogued. I think an exhaust that suits your ear would also make a big emotional impact, I still have the stock exhaust. My intake sound is pretty killer now and I'm enjoying that for the time being.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:41 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Trade back to 987.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:09 PM
Morbo
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also had 987.2 (totaled by insurance after accident) and had same concerns as you. Mine was 2010 Boxster S with PASM and 19in rims.

The answer as mentioned in previous posts above is X73. Look for a car with X73 suspension (and preferably Sport Chrono + PSE) and you might have a different opinion on how "refined" the 981 is. X73 truly makes it a different car from stock fixed suspension or PASM. The huge rear ARB by itself will make the car feel so much more responsive on corner tip in versus the 987.2, which by comparison had a slight understeer on corner entry compared to x73 equipped 981.

With X73 and Sport Chrono + PSE, my 981 feels much more raw feel (particularly from a sound perspective) than my old 987.2. Just the PSE alone makes it have a growl that the 987.2 never had. Sport Chrono makes throttle response much better than my old 987.2 as well.

Yes, the hydraulic vs electric powered steering is different. But i wouldn't say better or worse. Just ... slightly different.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:30 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by MMMMalex
I've done coilovers and springs (KW typically) and sways over the years and honestly the end result is usually a harsh non-compliant ride. I know me and many others harp on X73 but there simply isn't an option out there that can compare to the R&D that went into your application. When you buy aftermarket you're buying things made for multitudes of applications. X73 is engineered for your car only and I just can't imagine anything set up as well and especially for the price. Most people who buy coilovers think of them as jewelry for your car (that you can't see), tout the manufacturer as if it's a part worthy of F1, and tend to lower to the extreme. Never good. Suspensions need to travel to work properly. I'd really rethink coilovers. I really wish I had every dime I've spent on coilvers and other aftermarket bits back. Waste of money.
The following users liked this post:
tcal765 (11-21-2020)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:44 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Trade back to 987.
Probably the best response. Don't turn the 981 into a stiff unforgiving car, that's less road worthy. The 987 is still in my estimation the best road going Boxster/Cayman for driving enjoyment. Only a few are over 300 hp but that's plenty for the car. The non-DFi motor's sound is intoxicating, and you can't do anything to a DFI motor to make it sound as good. 2008 is a great year to find excellent cars, and if you like yellow, speed yellow is king!

I would worry less about IMS issues than DFI motors and cylinder scoring, which is the IMS issue of the future thanks to Porsche not using oils made specifically for DFI motors and issues are starting to pop up now that we're 10 years into DFI motors.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:26 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4John
X73. Utterly transformed my 981 Cayman.
I have X-73 as well with 20" wheels... amazing! 6MT as well.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:28 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
I added X73, camber plates, a numeric shifter and an FVD “sound” exhaust to my 981 Cayman. Also have track seats, but they will trigger an airbag light (reportedly this can be overcome with proper ECU reprogramming.). It is crazy fun to drive. Probably too loud for some though.
Which camber plates do you use?
Old 05-23-2019, 07:13 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Interesting to read the x73 comments, because I had it on my 981 and feel my 987.2 is more raw, even with the base suspension.

I think the NVH differences are more drastic than people realize.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:20 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

^ Tarett camber plates. Really just a relatively inexpensive way to get a bit more camber for track usage.

Quick Reply: 981 Mods for Raw Analog Feel?