Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Motor probably

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 12:10 PM
jesseellington
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Blown Motor probably

Was driving my 08 S in Florida over the weekend and had the dreaded "flashing red oil pressure" light come on and within 3 seconds or so the motor quit. Pulled over and waited a few minutes then turned it over and sounds like a the crank is flopping around, clunking low frequency bucket of bolts.
Had the car towed to what used to be Brumos, now Porsche of Jacksonville. All they've done is open the oil filter and found it full of metal I'm told.
Anyway, the interesting thing that's happening is that after I bought this car at a dealership, I purchased an extended warranty. 3 years, 36k miles on basically all the mechanical parts. Its been inspected by the warranty company and waiting to hear whats going to happen.
I'll add to the story as it happens, of course myself and my misc. buddy's all have our opinions but until I hear its all guessing. It sure feels like math is against me but there should be a path forward.

Last edited by jesseellington; 05-16-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Sorry to hear this. Hopeful that the warranty company wil kick in and help. What’s the cars mileage?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Type_A
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Subscribed to follow your journey.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:30 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

That sucks, sorry to hear. Hopefully the warranty takes care of it.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:31 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 331 Likes on 212 Posts

Sorry to hear, yeah sounds like a bearing or rod bolt went. I am very hopeful the warranty company makes you whole. For curiosity, who is the warranty company?
Old 05-16-2019, 02:11 PM
jesseellington
Rennlist Member

Default Warranty

Thought I would keep all the details kinda scarce while I wait to hear in order not to make anyone mad. Cayman has 87K miles, used no oil and ran great. Maint. records are fine and car was not abused but that's obviously subjective. I've heard from some of the "experts" that I should be prepared to be screwed.
Hoping that with the car at what I hope is a respected dealership, a decent path forward can be found. Really hoping I will happily post up a positive experience and make the experts wrong.
I got the car as it seemed to have been driven enough to not be concerned about the rare IMS or other garage queen problems. The whole warranty thing was kind of a spur of the moment thing to give me some peace of mind buying a "modern car" if minor things went south. I had an 87 Carrera that went 10 years and 100K miles really trouble free after I did an engine rebuild to address oil usage from the top end myself a year in. That car had 170K when it needed a top end and was at 270K when I sold it, got driven all over the country.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

If it is the motor I dont know if the dealer is the way to go. I was with three people who had recently replaced motors. a 996 went to 3.8, a 987.1 Cayman S went to 3.6 and a 987.1 Cayman S who stayed stock size. The first two ran about 25 grand and were done right by shops, the third was less, he did it himself, but had to buy a motor since his block expolded whent the motor went. All had ARP rod bolts, nikasil sleeves, etc. better IMS bearings

Moral of the post: Even if the warranty comes thorugh, you may not want the dealer to rebuild it.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:09 PM
jesseellington
Rennlist Member

Default Yep

Yep, that's whats going to be interesting. The warranty companies want to deal with a reputable shop and I had to start somewhere. Be interesting to see whether a reputable shop vs. a warranty company can come to terms.
Luckily I had some experience with what used to be Brumos so that seemed like a high bar to try to go to first. Simply isn't my job (at least at this point) in this situation to "shop" for a solution. Guessing I can refuse a solution if something shady is proposed.
I'd hope a reputable shop for P-cars won't be shady on purpose. In this situation its not something I can use to get money on an upgrade.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:20 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jesseellington
Yep, that's whats going to be interesting. The warranty companies want to deal with a reputable shop and I had to start somewhere. Be interesting to see whether a reputable shop vs. a warranty company can come to terms.
Luckily I had some experience with what used to be Brumos so that seemed like a high bar to try to go to first. Simply isn't my job (at least at this point) in this situation to "shop" for a solution. Guessing I can refuse a solution if something shady is proposed.
I'd hope a reputable shop for P-cars won't be shady on purpose. In this situation its not something I can use to get money on an upgrade.
Im not inferring anything is shady. I think the dealer will only use porsche parts, or get a porsche motor from the factory. The alternatives are better motors from what Ive read since they get rid of factory weaknesses like rod bolts that break.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:26 PM
jesseellington
Rennlist Member

Default Better Motor

While a better motor would be fantastic, not sure there is anyway to get one via a warranty. A new motor from anyone reputable would be fantastic or new factory. I see pricing from Vertex at 13k up to 18k for a new stock from flat6innovations or RND. Now super upgraded is simply not on the shelf with anyone.
Raby told me his highly upgraded motors are a 12 month minimum wait and about 28K. I'm sure plenty of others build them and they all think they're the best. I'm OK getting a well running car again, no need to go nuts. Was not why I got the warranty.

Last edited by jesseellington; 05-17-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:27 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It’s probably not rebuildable. A used drop in replacement engine could probably be installed by an independent shop for ~10k.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:54 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jesseellington
While a better motor would be fantastic, not sure there is anyway to get one via a warranty. A new motor form anyone reputable would be fantastic or new factory. I see pricing from Vertex at 13k up to 18k for a new stock from flat6innovations or RND. Now super upgraded is simply not on the shelf with anyone.
Raby told me his highly upgraded motors are a 12 month minimum wait and about 28K. I'm sure plenty of other build them and they all think they're the best. I'm OK getting a well running car again, no need to go nuts. Was not why I got the warranty.
Warranty company may total the car. I'm not sure how they work. I had an extended warranty from Geico on my Astra. When the crankshaft snapped from a money shift they said the motor was not rebuildable and said they would put in a junkyard motor with something like a six month warranty. When the found out the snapped crankshaft pushed the flywheel into the transmission they totaled the car. If they dont total the car, and go junkyard motor you may want to add some $$ and have work done to it especially if you DE the car - oil pan, accusump, underdrive pulley, new water pump (just left 1,200 at the dealer for mine with 41k - pump and belt, no pulleys, no hoses, no etc.)
Old 05-16-2019, 07:18 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Interested to hear result.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

sucks and been there with my prestine 996 C4S, same horrible sounds.
Hopefully it works out for you.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:35 AM
57staff
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you near BGB Motorsports? They do engine swaps all the time. Also, Dwaine over at Vision Motorsports in So. Cal does rebuilds and sometimes has deals on off-the-shelf long blocks. I have one of his engines in my '05 Boxster S.

Quick Reply: Blown Motor probably