Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which would you choose? 981 S or GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ No disrespect but what do you mean due diligence? I can only think of checking carfax, trying to inspect the panels, paint and lines and of course an external PPI. Would a PPI uncover the extent of the damages? Or did you mean trying to get records of the accident? If that, I don't really know where to get that...
Old 05-16-2019, 10:50 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by oofie810
^ No disrespect but what do you mean due diligence? I can only think of checking carfax, trying to inspect the panels, paint and lines and of course an external PPI. Would a PPI uncover the extent of the damages? Or did you mean trying to get records of the accident? If that, I don't really know where to get that...
Sorry, should have been more specific. Depending on who is performing the PPI, they should be able to uncover the extent of the damage, and how well it was repaired. Maybe reach out in your local area to find a good indy shop, and call them ahead of time to make sure they have the expertise to provide a thorough inspection of paint, body panel alignment, etc.

Basically, as long as you have an expert look it over and give you the thumbs up, there's really not much reason that you should have any reservations. On the other hand, if you can't tell with your eyes and take the car at face value, but someone points something out later on, you'll think about it every time you look at the car.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
Never mind, I think I saw the Cayman S you are talking about..... Looked amazing until I saw the plaid seats

I would keep looking.....
I have seen photos of this car, too. I think it's a great buy and the selling dealer is the real deal--great guys. When I saw that car I thought some lucky person is going to get a great car. I love the seat inserts but if you don't, they are easily replaced.

Chances are you can close the gap on price, too, so it's a no brainer.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:59 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
I have seen photos of this car, too. I think it's a great buy and the selling dealer is the real deal--great guys. When I saw that car I thought some lucky person is going to get a great car. I love the seat inserts but if you don't, they are easily replaced.

Chances are you can close the gap on price, too, so it's a no brainer.
That's what I thought as well. I spoke with Paul a couple of days ago and he was very helpful and informative. I was getting ready to give him a call this morning but I saw the car was already pending sale

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Sorry, should have been more specific. Depending on who is performing the PPI, they should be able to uncover the extent of the damage, and how well it was repaired. Maybe reach out in your local area to find a good indy shop, and call them ahead of time to make sure they have the expertise to provide a thorough inspection of paint, body panel alignment, etc.

Basically, as long as you have an expert look it over and give you the thumbs up, there's really not much reason that you should have any reservations. On the other hand, if you can't tell with your eyes and take the car at face value, but someone points something out later on, you'll think about it every time you look at the car.
Thank you! I just emailed the dealership for the protocol for PPIs. If it doesn't get sold by Sunday, I think I will pursue the GTS depending on the PPI.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

That's what I thought as well. I spoke with Paul a couple of days ago and he was very helpful and informative. I was getting ready to give him a call this morning but I saw the car was already pending sale

Thank you! I just emailed the dealership for the protocol for PPIs. If it doesn't get sold by Sunday, I think I will pursue the GTS depending on the PPI.
It's at least worth looking into, especially if it's local.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:36 PM
Phantom400
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CPO GTS

Regarding the GTS with damage. I purchased a 2015 CGTS that was also a CPO car. I made a huge mistake, I trusted the Porsche dealership. The only reason I trusted them was because it was a Porsche dealership. They will pull the same crap some used car dealer will, beware. They told me the car had some paint correction on R front fender and a new wheel. I asked to see the paperwork and didn't get it until after I purchased the car. Only then did I find out the car had significantly more damage than what I was told. It was all cosmetic, but still.......

I love my car, I just overpaid for it. If you go for a car with damage my advice is to not purchase unless you have seen the paperwork on the repairs and you get a great deal on the car. Go into it knowing your resale value will be significantly less than a comparably equipped car without damage, so ask for significantly less than they are asking. They can only say no.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:17 PM
oofie810
Instructor

^ Thanks. I got a reply from the sales manager that the damage was from the driver's door being keyed...but the carfax report states it was front damage and right rear.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:36 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Have you heard of True Frame? The Spyder I was interested in and bought (and still have) had minor rear reported on Carfax. I had a PPI done at the SLC Porsche dealer, and also had a True Frame report done separately. The dealer reported they could not find anything at all with the car and wondered what the carfax was about. True Frame certified all parts as original - however they DID identify the rear bumper covered had been refinished only. I subsequently was happy that whatever had happened was very minor and virtually impossible to tell.

I have a report on it and this nifty certificate... Might be worth sending them in to see if they certify all the body parts as original...

Old 05-17-2019, 06:49 PM
Lvanpelt729
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Having also recently bought a 981 spyder that had "damage", I can attest if you do your due diligence you can get a great deal. Turns out the dealer had all the docs of the accident and repair as well as photos. Someone bumped the rear wheel, they had to replace the wheel and spray the bumper. Had an independent PPI done and was told it was one of the cleaner cars they'd seen with 0 overrevs. It was previously owned by an older couple who babied it. I walked away with a Spyder for $70k. Couldn't be happier, even if this will potentially make it harder to sell at some point. I'll do much worse to the car by the time I sell it!
Old 05-18-2019, 12:08 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
Having also recently bought a 981 spyder that had "damage", I can attest if you do your due diligence you can get a great deal. Turns out the dealer had all the docs of the accident and repair as well as photos. Someone bumped the rear wheel, they had to replace the wheel and spray the bumper. Had an independent PPI done and was told it was one of the cleaner cars they'd seen with 0 overrevs. It was previously owned by an older couple who babied it. I walked away with a Spyder for $70k. Couldn't be happier, even if this will potentially make it harder to sell at some point. I'll do much worse to the car by the time I sell it!
Great call. It is the lazy one who trusts Carfax, one way or another.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:06 AM
Phantom400
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Thanks. I got a reply from the sales manager that the damage was from the driver's door being keyed...but the carfax report states it was front damage and right rear.
The discrepancy between the car fax and what the dealer says is the issue.

I would get a 3rd party to look at the car due to that discrepancy. Then again, I had a very reputable Porsche dealer only tell me part of the story on my car.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:10 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

If you haven't bought the car yet... maybe consider the one I'll be selling soon???

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-for-sale.html

Quick Reply: Which would you choose? 981 S or GTS?