Notices

How to make a 981 Boxster S sound like a GT4 ???

Old 05-13-2019, 09:38 PM
GT4John
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default How to make a 981 Boxster S sound like a GT4 ???

So my wife and I had our first dual-run-for-fun with each other in our respective cars. Me in my GT4 and her in her Boxster S. We zipped around some curvy roads for a bit and at our first stop, she gets out of her car, frowning, and says this:

"I want my car to sound like your car."

My response-sort of joking:

"Maybe possible with $10K."

She replies with:

"Find out more details."

Yes dear. So...my question from the Title. Any thoughts? Possible? My car is 100% stock minus some K&N filters, which I also put into her car last month.

Thanks,
John
Old 05-14-2019, 12:17 AM
garfunkle
User

Headers, exhaust, plenum, TB, Tune.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:44 AM
PorscheAddict
Addict
Rennlist Member

Race headers will get you most of the way there. Race headers and PSE (in open mode) sounds wicked and visceral. No need for plenum or TB for the sound (minimal gain too). You would need a tune if running race headers since they remove the cats.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:49 AM
needmoregarage
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sell Boxster.
Buy 2nd GT4

Why not? For awhile we had two.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:27 AM
okie981
Addict
Rennlist Member

To sound better than a GT4 :

Add PSE if not already installed, add headers (cats don't make a huge difference in tone, just louder if no cats), and add an x-pipe set of exhaust tips. The X-pipe is very important. The OEM tips have two pipes connected at a right angle to the muffler cross-connect pipes. The x-pipe tips take the exhaust more directly out of the mufflers and with lower restriction to airflow. I get compliments at every track day I go to about how my BS sounds. I run Cargraphic sport headers, sometimes run with cats, sometimes without. I have the Fabspeed x-pipe tips installed.

FWIW, I had a GT4 and a BS at the same time for about 9 months, so I could compare them back-to-back.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:36 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Headers + PSE will definitely wake it up! If the pops and burbles are what you're after, a tune with one of our custom maps paired with the other exhaust mods will get you there.

We run Cargraphic headers on just about everything, let me gather up some videos of some shop builds that use Cargraphic with factory PSE
Old 05-14-2019, 01:00 PM
garfunkle
User

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports View Post
Headers + PSE will definitely wake it up! If the pops and burbles are what you're after, a tune with one of our custom maps paired with the other exhaust mods will get you there.

We run Cargraphic headers on just about everything, let me gather up some videos of some shop builds that use Cargraphic with factory PSE

FYI - Headers(and exhaust) are now a huge PITA to import. I just got FVD headers (Cargraphic are the only other ones I'd recommend) and UPS was a huge PITA with delays at their import center due to importing of foreign stainless. Not insurmountable but expect delays and watch tracking. You have to hound them or they'll send them back to where they came without telling you.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:41 PM
GT4John
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all and for the PM BGB. Passing along the info to the Boss. (Her car has PSE...so that helps a bit)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:52 PM
Type_A
User

Ive been pretty happy with my Borla catback on my 987.1S. No fancy switch to turn it off but then I cant imagine why I would want to....its pretty mellow at moderate rpms. Deep tone with lots of burbles and such, not bad for stock headers and $1900 installed...
Old 05-14-2019, 08:56 PM
Hyper911
User

PSE and FVD headers.....sound amazing

Old 05-15-2019, 12:00 AM
tneocli
Addict
Rennlist Member

Buy my agency power exhaust. Will make your booster Sounds similar to a stock gt4. Asking $650
Old Yesterday, 02:37 AM
titleistaddict87
Addict
Rennlist Member

Akrapovic
Old Today, 01:43 AM
GT4John
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tneocli View Post
Buy my agency power exhaust. Will make your booster Sounds similar to a stock gt4. Asking $650
Passed that along. Thx.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: