Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible future 981 Cayman owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Cayman6spd
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Possible future 981 Cayman owner

Greetings...

I currently drive a 2016 BMW M4. I'm getting bored of the vehicle and want to try something different. I've owned the M4 for about 3 years now.

I have been doing extensive research for the past 2 months on Porsche's and the one that fits my needs would be a 981 Cayman with a 6-speed manual.

I am going to a local dealership to test drive a 2016 CPO Porsche Cayman with a 6-speed. Since it's CPOed, it does give me a sigh of relief and looking at the CarFax, seems like the previous owner took care of it.

Is there anything in particular that I need to look out for when shopping for a pre-owned Porsche?

Thank you all and any advice is always welcome.

Hopefully I will be joining the Porsche family soon.

Cheers.

-Cayman6spd
Old 05-13-2019, 05:17 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

That new of one will likely not have any "tells" but you can ask for a DME printoff showing whether it's ever been overrevved (and the degree, if so). If you care, cars that have seen track time very quickly develop small cracks coming from the cross drilled holes so you can check that too. Not a lot of risk with a '16 CPO, though.

One thing you didn't ask about but that I'll mention is that you should do your homework on what options enthusiasts like. These cars have dozens of options, maybe hundreds counting color combos, interiors, etc., so it behooves you to pay attention to that stuff on the front end since retrofitting is usually either impossible or cost prohibitive. I wish I looked around enough to get sports plus seats, for example.

Coming from the M4 (which I've driven -- good car but too big/heavy for me) I'd suggest an S or GTS since even that will be a big power deficit to the M4.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:18 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

It's going to be slow compared to the M4, especially if it's a base model. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you walk away from it if it's a base model. Lots of folk complain about the lack of power in the 2.7, but the driving dynamics more than make up for it... but if the power of the M4 is something you got used to, be prepared for the dramatic difference. To me, as much as I loved the power I just felt like I wasn't using it unless I was at the track- which I made it maybe once a year. Enough for me to justify the leap to a Boxster GTS, and I haven't looked back. The power difference is noticeable at lower rpms, but the 3.4 has some great pull at the top of the rev range. My recommendation is to shoot for an S or higher, but YMMV; you may enjoy the even more rev-happy nature of the 2.7.

CPO or non-CPO, the cars are very reliable. The only major things to look out for are door panel warping (from what I've heard it's pretty obvious), and getting a DME report as part of the PPI (if it was recently CPO'd the dealer should have it handy) to make sure somebody didn't miss a shift that could lead to catastrophic damage over time. That's pretty much the only cause for concern with these engines; if someone else actively tried to destroy it.

EDIT- similar theme, as my post almost mirrors the previous post. Let it be known I was typing as he posted it, I didn't actively try to copy him .
Old 05-13-2019, 05:22 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

One other point is that they won't even CPO a car with significant over-rev, so it is pretty much a nonissue if the car is CPO. Level 1 "over-revs" are at or under the rev limiter so they occur with normal driving (or they should ).
Old 05-13-2019, 05:59 PM
AllBS
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking for the same car and after driving both 2.7 and 3.4 (also had a F80 M3) I can say make sure it's a Cayman S. It's of course not the same power as the S55 engine but it's not also not meant to be that type of car. My 2 cents
Old 05-13-2019, 07:14 PM
Cayman6spd
Advanced

First and foremost, thank you for sharing his / her .2. I understand and totally get the substantial power difference which I'm okay with.

Here in California, I can only use 20% of what the M4 was designed to do.

My M4 was stage 2 with FBO and was pushing around 510whp.

My choices were;
1. Alfa Romeo 4c
2. Porsche Cayman / S / GT4
3. GT350 / R

Researched, test drove the GT350 and Alfa and just wasn't a fan. I test drove the GT4 and fell in love however the price is still on the steep side for my wallet.

So I narrowed it down to the Cayman and Cayman S. The 718's engine is "bleh". Even though it's faster, the sound reminded me of my 07 STi back in the day.

The only Porsche Cayman with a 6spd that's Certified with 11,xxx miles on it is a 2.7L Cayman.

I'm going to be heading down tonight to test drive it and I will let everyone know how it goes!
Old 05-13-2019, 07:33 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman6spd
First and foremost, thank you for sharing his / her .2. I understand and totally get the substantial power difference which I'm okay with.

Here in California, I can only use 20% of what the M4 was designed to do.

My M4 was stage 2 with FBO and was pushing around 510whp.

My choices were;
1. Alfa Romeo 4c
2. Porsche Cayman / S / GT4
3. GT350 / R

Researched, test drove the GT350 and Alfa and just wasn't a fan. I test drove the GT4 and fell in love however the price is still on the steep side for my wallet.

So I narrowed it down to the Cayman and Cayman S. The 718's engine is "bleh". Even though it's faster, the sound reminded me of my 07 STi back in the day.

The only Porsche Cayman with a 6spd that's Certified with 11,xxx miles on it is a 2.7L Cayman.

I'm going to be heading down tonight to test drive it and I will let everyone know how it goes!
I'd like to add one car to your list: Cayman GTS. Not quite a GT4, but an outstanding sports car nonetheless.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:35 PM
Cayman6spd
Advanced

Ah! I forgot about the GTS.

No 6spd manual GTS have popped up on Autotrader .

Originally Posted by fast1
I'd like to add one car to your list: Cayman GTS. Not quite a GT4, but an outstanding sports car nonetheless.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:52 PM
AllBS
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look forward to hearing what you think after your test drive!
Old 05-13-2019, 09:31 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

If you can source it/buy it/find one with it ---- try and get the X73 suspension. I had a base 981 Cayman with stock (non-PASM) suspension and I did enjoy it a ton. (Coming from 17 years in BMW's with the last car a 135i). Then I replaced the original suspension with the X73. It transformed the car into something ***heavenly***. I'm in a GT4 now and yes...it's really great...but I somethimes think that for 'regular' driving (non-track), the X73 is actually a better suspension package. It's really that good.

Another comparison...my wife's new-to-her Boxster S also has the original non-PASM stock suspension. It's nice...but given a choice, I'd drive a Base version of her car with X73 all day long over her current higher HP setup.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:57 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Try this site: https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...rch=1&limit=12

I already put in a few search parameters, and yeah manual 981s are pretty rare. There appears to be a grand total of 4 CPO Cayman S/GTS options with a manual transmission nationwide. If you expand to non-CPO though, there's 9.

This one's pretty solid, but it's in NJ. https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...+Black+7609129 It's certified, extremely low miles, has the X73 suspension, and is priced really well at $62k. My suggestion is find an S/GTS local to you and test drive it, make sure it's what you want, and have the car delivered. It'll cost less than $1500 to ship it cross country but you can open up your options nationwide.

The Porsche option game can be tough, and there's not a whole lot of supply to choose from.

Another suggestion- I wouldn't get too caught up on miles, especially if it's CPO. These cars are not like BMWs, assuming they are well cared for they actually hold up really well long beyond the manufacturer warranty period, which with CPO is 100k. Mine has over 65k on it and still looks and feels new.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:14 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

It's interesting that sound excludes the 718 and you have a M4, no offense. I vastly prefer the sound of the 718, even though the old flat sixes do indeed sound better. I'd be patient and make sure you get the best car for you (trim, options, etc.)
Old 05-13-2019, 10:32 PM
Cayman6spd
Advanced

No offense taken...The M4's S55 engine doesn't sound good but with a full exhaust system, it's not bad. The 718 doesn't sound "bad" but it's muffled by the turbo's.

I miss having a N/A engine as well.

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
It's interesting that sound excludes the 718 and you have a M4, no offense. I vastly prefer the sound of the 718, even though the old flat sixes do indeed sound better. I'd be patient and make sure you get the best car for you (trim, options, etc.)
Old 05-13-2019, 11:05 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 398 Posts

I test drove the car you are looking at a few weeks ago.... you will be unimpressed with the low end torque, heck my 428i in sport mode seems quicker, but once you get those revs up the car comes alive. Very fun little car and has some perfect things like x73 and 6 speed that I'm looking for. Expand your search to nation wide and you will find some S versions with 6 speed and even GTS, but the price will climb obviously

if if I was ready to buy at the time I might have taken her home, but I think I want to hold out for an S or even a GTS once I'm ready to put the NSX on the market....

Great looking car....
Old 05-13-2019, 11:14 PM
Cayman6spd
Advanced

Thanks for the heads up. I am currently at Porsche Irvine right now. Going to take a look at it as well as take it for a spin.

Ill let let everyone know how it goes.

I did find some S models with manuals but they are private sellers and some are out of warranty which worries me.

Quick Reply: Possible future 981 Cayman owner