Notices

Possible future 981 Cayman owner

Old 05-13-2019, 11:49 PM
TulaneAg
User

I have an M4 and a 981 Boxster S. My message is don’t be afraid to rev it and keep it up there. My guess is you’ll be so used to the low rpm grunt of the M4 that you’ll have trouble ringing it out properly. It sounds fabulous, it’s so smooth at high RPMs, and that’s where the power and torque are...it’s made to be at 3,500 plus so make a conscious effort to keep it up there.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:38 AM
Cayman6spd
User

Just came back from the test drive. Here is my opinion;

pros;
1. Steering is tight and perfectly weighted.
2. Clutch and shifter feels crisp, light, and mechanical.
3. Flat six sounds glorious and is very smooth.
4. Balanced.

cons;
1. Significantly slower especially in the lower part of the rev range.
2. E-Brake is a wimpy electric lever.

Overall...I love the car and instantly fell in love with the powerband, sound, and transmission. I can see myself using 100% of the power rather than the M4s 20-30% power.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:57 AM
vracer
Addict
Rennlist Member

A little personal history here. I'm a Bimmer lover; I've had three. I plan to get another 340 in the next few months. I'm sure your M4 is fast, but is it quick? There is a big difference there. Years ago I had a '73 914 2L and a front engine V12 Ferrari at the same time. The Ferrari was certainly faster, but I think the 914 was the "funnest" car I have ever had. It was QUICK. The Cayman is about 1,000# heavier, so it isn't quite so quick, but with an 'S' or better engine, it is a great combo of the two.

"PA" above mentioned the options. Spend some serious time getting to know what each one brings to the table. For instance - Sport Chrono, it's not just an expensive, fancy clock. Make a serious list of what you must have, and then what it would be nice to add. Porsche is only one step away from calling the fourth wheel an option. I bought a car that seemed to be a stripper, but with the options that I found non-negotiable, and a few other things. When I looked at the sticker, it had $20K of extras. Of course, one of them was PDK. It ain't your mother's auto tranny. Try it, you might just like it; many others do.

Happy shopping
Old 05-14-2019, 08:43 AM
the scofflaw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here to echo the folks that said to really take a look at options. Porsche buyers tend to be picky about options and I would suggest that you do the same. The cars aren't cheap and since Porsche does so well getting you to pay for any of the good stuff anyway, take the time to find exactly what you want. I went with a Cayman GTS last fall with the X73 suspension. There were a total of 6 manual GTS's nationally when I bought it. My other fun car is an E36 M3 with coilovers so stiff setups don't bother me but I can see how that would be a personal choice. I live in Michigan where the roads tend towards awful and for the occasional bit of rough pavement, expansion joint, unforeseen small pothole, etc. the X73 is fine. However, if the car will be used for commuting it gets pretty jittery over consistently bad stretches of highway. Don't know how picky you are about bluetooth music but you'll need one of the upgraded stereo options to make that work without using a cord or third party system. They really do make you pay for everything.

That being said I don't see myself being as happy with the PASM setup. I like simple and the less moving parts (so to speak) the better. I've had 4 track days so far and the car is an absolute dream.

How do you like the M4 overall? I know it doesn't have the best sounding exhaust but I'm considering getting one as a fun car I can get two sets of golf clubs in and use as more of a "trip car". Also the wife wants one to take to the track so two birds, right?
Old 05-14-2019, 02:23 PM
Cayman6spd
User

The M4 is a fast car. Very capable however, it feels disconnected. The electronic steering is numb no matter which setting you set it at. The DCT transmission is quick, smooth, and very responsive. The M4 actually sounds "ok" when you do a full exhaust system. I was running SSR catless downpipes, Remus resonated midpipe, and stock muffler for a sleeper look. Very quiet with the valves closed however LOUD with valves open.

I had San Merino full leather interior and the overall quality of the leather was okay.

Overall, it's a nice car but I wouldn't buy another M4 or any other variant such as the CS, GTS.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:24 AM
57staff
User

I would add that although the X73 suspension option is very nice, don't overlook the PASM suspension. My 987.1 has PASM and I purchased a DSC Sport module that replaces the factory PASM module and what a difference. Night and day in terms of handling.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:31 AM
ekam
User

Also the M4 is too heavy at 3600lbs.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:54 PM
garfunkle
User

Originally Posted by 57staff View Post
I would add that although the X73 suspension option is very nice, don't overlook the PASM suspension. My 987.1 has PASM and I purchased a DSC Sport module that replaces the factory PASM module and what a difference. Night and day in terms of handling.
PASM in my 991 is a dream. Even better on Eibachs. It is softer than X73 and way softer than the Ohlins on my 987.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:36 PM
SoCal-NSX
User

Did you buy it??? Congrats if so!!!

i noticed the ad wasn't up today when I do my daily 981 Cayman search.....
Old 05-15-2019, 05:01 PM
Cayman6spd
User

Yes! I officially picked it up yesterday night.

Car is fantastic. I couldnít pass it up and although the power is not impressive down-low, itís something I can see myself driving for a while.

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX View Post
Did you buy it??? Congrats if so!!!
i noticed the ad wasn't up today when I do my daily 981 Cayman search.....
Old 05-15-2019, 10:42 PM
SoCal-NSX
User

Originally Posted by Cayman6spd View Post
Yes! I officially picked it up yesterday night.

Car is fantastic. I couldnít pass it up and although the power is not impressive down-low, itís something I can see myself driving for a while.

Congrats!!!

Great choice!

post some pics of that bad boy!
Old 05-15-2019, 10:43 PM
Noah Fect
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good move. The 6-speed manual is the right gearbox for the 2.7L engine, IMO. .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: