Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Spyder/Cayman R (https://rennlist.com/forums/spyder-cayman-r-265/)
-   -   987.2 Spyder - No Sport Button? (https://rennlist.com/forums/spyder-cayman-r/1142840-987-2-spyder-no-sport-button.html)

Cam07 05-13-2019 03:35 PM

987.2 Spyder - No Sport Button?

I’m potentially in the market for a 987.2 Boxster Spyder (6MT) & have been looking for a few months now. I’d like something a little more engaging than my Base 981 Cayman with the PDK.

One question, I found one for sale that I like, but it doesn’t appear to have the “sport” button. I thought they would all have the “sport” button at a minimum, but only those with sports chrono would have “sport plus.”

Any thoughts here? Just wondering if this car has some option missing that I don’t realize.

Thanks!

GT3 Nut 05-14-2019 01:17 AM

I think you need the sports chrono to get a "sport" button on the manual cars. PDK came with sports plus if it had the sports chrono package.
But I am not 100% sure on that.

I have a 2011 Spyder with sports chrono that I am selling.
PM me if you want more details.

schell 05-14-2019 02:41 AM

You can have the dealer add sport chrono, my 987.2 cayman s pdk did not have a sport button, I had it added and now have sport and sport+ with launch control.

Cam07 05-16-2019 01:03 AM

Thanks for the help here! I was under the impression that all cars had the sport button & sport chrono added the sport plus. Guess that’s just on the 981.

tq.3z 05-16-2019 01:56 PM

Also, on a manual car - this is such a minor difference that I'd say it doesn't even matter.

I have a chrono/sport button on my car and for the life of me I can hardly tell the difference when it's on/off. It's nothing like what most people make it out to be,

I think I'd even prefer a cleaner dash to it and just have the car re-tuned.

garfunkle 05-16-2019 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by tq.3z (Post 15844893)
Also, on a manual car - this is such a minor difference that I'd say it doesn't even matter.

I have a chrono/sport button on my car and for the life of me I can hardly tell the difference when it's on/off. It's nothing like what most people make it out to be,

I can tell zero difference.

ekam 05-16-2019 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by tq.3z (Post 15844893)

No way, I can never drive it without sport button on.

w00tPORSCHE 05-16-2019 03:00 PM

Having driven a spyder for 30,000 miles with sport chrono .. I can say that there is certainly a noticeable difference. Whether that matters to some and if the trade off with the aesthetics of not having a clean dash could be debated. But the repsonse is sharper with sport mode on.

Marine Blue 05-16-2019 03:01 PM

Sport button changes throttle response on a manual Spyder, nothing else changes. I wouldn’t consider it a must have option. Options like LWB, PSE, short shift are far more desireable IMHO. Personally I had to have the full leather too but that’s strictly personal preference and only minor weight savings.

bassie81 05-16-2019 04:14 PM

I always believed it would also influence the electronic nannys, providing some more room to play....

never really tested it though

gandalfthegray. 08-12-2020 12:41 AM

Apologies for the thread resurection.

Originally Posted by schell (Post 15839148)
You can have the dealer add sport chrono, my 987.2 cayman s pdk did not have a sport button, I had it added and now have sport and sport+ with launch control.

Are you saying you can add the actual Sport Chronometer to the center of the dash? I'm looking at a manual 987.2 Spyder and the only thing missing is the Sport Chrono. I really don't need it but really wanted it.

Marine Blue 08-12-2020 01:18 AM

I need to make a correction to my earlier post, apparently the throttle response isn’t the only difference with the Sport Chrono @A432 had corrected me earlier this year and noted that Sport Chrono also widens the PSM and ABS ranges before they intervene. It also switches the limiter to a hard limiter vs. soft. I can see the value in changing the PSM/ABS intervention, especially in the canyons on tighter corners.

WenigerAberBeser 08-12-2020 10:46 AM

I have the Sport button on mine.

Rev matching with it off suits me better around town. Rev matching with it on is better when I take it to the twisties.